News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Richards

State of the Game
« on: June 13, 2005, 06:57:56 AM »
Forgive me if there is another post on this topic, but I haven't spent anytime on this site in the last few weeks.  However, I just read the "State of the Game" round table article in the latest Sports Illustrated Golf Plus Preview.

I have to say - my hat is off to Geoff Shackelford!  :)

He posed the questions and addressed the issues that I know to be pertinent to the posters on this website.  He was 'real' and he 'got it'.

I'm afraid the rest of the crew, especially Larry Dorman, didn't get it about technology and how it is ruining the game of golf. Of course, it's not in Larry's best interest, so I can understand his POV.

Brad Faxon - doesn't understand that the game on Tour has NOTHING to do with the everyday player and his game.

David Fay - completely doesn't get it.   :o :o   Geoff showed great restraint in not getting up and throttling him.  

After Geoff says the equipment doesn't help the average guy as much as people think, and Fay replies, "I violently disagree" and then Faxon says "that makes three of us", I was glad to see that Geoff didn't get up and walk out.

So to Geoff Schackeford - kudos to you and thank you for a job well done.

Cheers!

:)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Philip Gawith

Re:State of the Game
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 07:01:42 AM »
Paul, have a look at SI Golf Roundtable, posted by David Tepper - and still on page one. You will find lots of kindred spirits. :)

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 07:32:10 AM »
Paul:

I'm just pretty amazed that this roundtable was able to come off at all. I don't know whose initail inspiration it was---SI or perhaps Jeff Silverman but they should be congratulated for putting it together. When GeoffShac told me that roundtable was going to happen I was amazed he and Fay were actually going to sit down at the same table and have their converstations recorded. It was definitely not as if Fay did not know where Geoffshac stands on these issues and vice versa.

Going into that roundtable GeoffShac knew good and well they'd probably try to gang up on him and in some ways they did but he was perpared, he certainly held his own on the issues discussed and one probably needs to say he came across very well with what he said. One reason obviously is Geoffshac does his homework and on most of these issues he had the facts and the truth of the situations on these issues on his side and more and more are clearly realizing that now.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2005, 11:25:48 AM »
I thought Geoff did a great job, especially given the direction the flow went. I am just stunned at what a bonehead Fay came across as. He has to feel foolish for so many if not all of his comments.

Paul Richards

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 04:12:21 PM »
Tiger

That's exactly how I felt after reading this piece.

:-[ :P
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back