News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

ian

What programming do you wish the golf channel had?
« on: June 07, 2005, 10:08:57 PM »
I've enjoyed The Big Break and the Shell's Wonderful World of Golf, but what is the Golf Channel missing in the way of programming. If it's golf architecture, how would you handle the program, what would you try present? Interviews? profiles? Discussions?

My vote (of course) would be for Architectural Idol  ;D and I would look forward to many participants from the GCA. ;)

RJ_Daley

Re:What programming do you wish the golf channel had?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 10:25:47 PM »
Ian, you must have had a hard day and need some comic relief.  ;D

How about a point: counterpoint format, based on classic and neo-classic ideals.  Sort of a Mucci-Paul exchange.  

If it can keep this stale old crumugeon crowd entertained all these years, it ought to be fresh for the TV Golf Channel viewers. ::)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ian

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 10:37:34 PM »
RJ,

Yes long crappy day and I'm up at 5:00am tomorrow, and it's still 90 degrees out. Can't sleep.

I can picture Pat,

Mucci begins, "Mr. MacWood do you think the pond should be removed on the 16th hole of Garden City?

MacWood, " well Pat historically speaking....."

Mucci interupts, "wrongggg!!!!!!!! next subject, what is the correct maintenance for a course?"

Tom Paul responds" well I have suggested a maintenance meld for courses..........."

Mucci interupts" wrong!!!!!!!!, next subject

I'm laughing thinking about the format, I think we already have the host. ;)

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 10:51:04 PM »
 ;D

Take Simon's head off and stick in Gib's (also a golf writer), the hair isn't that different, and Gib isn't afraid to tell anyone exactly how he feels.

Boy, Whitten has been hitting both the tanning salon and the buffet line!   :o

Mucci as John McGlaughlin, perfect!

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 11:14:49 PM »

A couple years back Brad Swanson did a hilarious piece on The Mucci Group.

Maybe someone who can use the search feature can bring it back.

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 09:54:46 AM »
a great picture Ian!

and a good idea Shivas...being a fellow Chicagoan of course I remember The Sportwsriters

think of all the interesting people and personalities that could discuss the architecture, in addition to the ones you listed....

TGC:  are you listening???
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 10:01:19 AM »

Gofl Channel has that pathetic infomercial, The 19th Hole.  But that's a joke.

Shivas,

Charles Davis was a four year starter at DB for the Volunteers and was named Academic All-SEC.  Rare living proof that a UT football player can string two sentences together - that should be celebrated - not critized.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 10:01:52 AM by Mike_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Keenan

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 10:56:05 AM »
I would suggest that they build on the concept of Playing Lessons with the Pro's.  This concept is quite unique to golf and lends itself to extension. Have the pro play with an Am. Discuss club selection plan etc.

I would suggst that the also re-do What's in the Bag it has become nothing more than a 30 min ad.

I must als oadmit that I enjoy the old Shells World of Golf great to see those old show rerun.  
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 11:25:12 AM »
Although I've always disliked Tom Watson, his recent Playing Lessons w/the Pros was quite good, one of the best I can recall, despite his blatant plug for the Idea hybrids.

I wonder how many regular watchers know how Adam Barr got his job.... ::)   (not that he isn't that bad)

John_Cullum

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 11:41:20 AM »
I wonder how many regular watchers know how Adam Barr got his job.... ::)   (not that he isn't that bad)

I have always referred to him as Arnold Palmer's son-in-law.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Keenan

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 11:42:57 AM »
Barr was a lawyer I think but as to how he got on TGC I have no idea.

On Watson I have not seen that show but I am sad that even htis segment is becoming an ad. If they are not careful TGC will become QVC!!  
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

ForkaB

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 11:44:33 AM »
Don't get the Golf Channel and never have, but when I've watched it my primary reaction is:

"Why won't these guys just shut up!"

I'd vote for 90+% of the programming consist of muted tapes of great golf swings (e.g. Jones, Geiberger) or IMAX type flyovers of the great courses (accompanied by classical music).  For the rest of the time they might find a few minutes to say something interesting. ;)

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 11:45:09 AM »
Don't know about Adam Barr, but I have heard stories on how Jennifer Mills got her position.

Once I tivo...d Golf Central and I think there was 30 seconds of actual golf shot highlights in a 30 minute show.  I would prefer fewer putts, more golf shots and less talk by the "talent."  They seem to have too much air time to fill and fill it by talking.  "Keep it in the short grass."
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »
Of course TGC would be hugely improved if it showed complete replays of all UCLA basketball games from the late 60s/early 70s, on a daily rotation.

And Santa Clara v. Arizona, March 18, 1993 - on a daily basis.  Hell every six hours would work better.

Golf?  More live tourneys, more Classics of Golf, less instructional crap, NO informercials.

TH
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 11:51:52 AM by Tom Huckaby »

David Sneddon

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 12:00:25 PM »
Don't know about Adam Barr, but I have heard stories on how Jennifer Mills got her position.

Once I tivo...d Golf Central and I think there was 30 seconds of actual golf shot highlights in a 30 minute show.  I would prefer fewer putts, more golf shots and less talk by the "talent."  They seem to have too much air time to fill and fill it by talking.  "Keep it in the short grass."

I think that the need to fill every second of air time with talk transcends all the networks who broadcast golf.  

I  much prefer the style of Longhurst, Alliss, Hay et al, who seem to believe that a long pause allowing the viewer to simply watch the shot being executed and the result, speaks for itself.

Being brought up on BBC coverage, I must admit to a certain bias, in that regard.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

JESII

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 12:01:57 PM »

You can't leave it at that, can you? ??? :-* ;)

wsmorrison

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 12:08:57 PM »
I agree with Rich Goodale.  The announcers on the channel are all terrible.  They should be replaced or shut up.  They have zero personality and poor scripts.  That's a bad combination.

I'm not a big fan of Bryant Gumble, but his passion for golf and smarts would be a huge improvement over the bufoons they've got.  Vince Cellini is the only one who knows anything, and that's just one thing--how to get a tan.  

Too many components including hosts, graphics, music, sets, etc. are far short of expectation.

The productions stink.  I can't stand the Big Break crap.  Especially shown over and over again.  

Give me more live and real classic tournaments---not the 1991 BC Opens they show.  Insightful interviews of the interesting personalities and greats, not a hour-long Arnold Palmer suck-up.

We're out of the mainstream but I'd love to see some architectural specials at courses from around the country and around the world.  Have some match play tournaments on them and have Ben Crenshaw or someone spend a little time talking history and architecture.

I don't watch it much anymore because it has gone so downhill and the novelty has worn off.

Tom,

Let's start a classic NCAA network.  We'll show classic football and basketball games as well as the other sports.  Huck TV, we'll make millions!

wsmorrison

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 12:10:06 PM »
Lynn,

What position was Jennifer in to get the position?  Inquiring minds want to know  ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »
Tom,

Let's start a classic NCAA network.  We'll show classic football and basketball games as well as the other sports.  Huck TV, we'll make millions!

Huck TV - now that's a scary thought.   ;D
But you know, this is just crazy enough to work... there was once such a thing - wasn't it called Classic Sports Network? It got bought up by ESPN and is now ESPNClassic, which of course is the first default on my remote.

They just need to devote it more to MY personal needs, like the games I mentioned.  Now there's a money-maker.

;)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 12:14:22 PM »
Adam Barr's bio courtesy of thegolfchannel.com:

Born:   March 21, 1961
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Family:   Married
College:   University of Pennsylvania, 1982; Duquesne University School of Law, 1986
Handicap:   22
Favorite movie:   The Deer Hunter (out of a long list of contenders).
Favorite food:   Cajun, but who can choose?
Favorite song:   There's too much good music to narrow it down, but I like classical (Bach especially; Dvorak and Brahms too), jazz (Miles Davis, big band and pure bebop) and rock from the Seventies.
Golf tip:   If you play like I do, slow it down and find ways to enjoy the game without making birdies!

Background

Adam Barr covers the business and equipment side of golf as Golf Central's business reporter/analyst and as host of What's In The Bag? , the weekly show featuring the latest in golf gear and technology. Barr graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and Duquesne University School of Law, then practiced law for six years before switching to golf reporting. After helping develop the business coverage for Golfweek magazine, Barr joined The Golf Channel in 1997. In 1998 and 1999, he followed the Casey Martin golf cart case from its beginnings in Eugene, Ore., through to the Supreme Court of the United States. Barr also occasionally covers the United States Golf Association and other golf organizations.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SPNC_Chris

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 02:41:55 PM »
Anything but all the infomercials for the Diamond Faced Scoring Wedge, etc.

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 06:14:30 PM »
but I have heard stories on how Jennifer Mills got her position.

"Keep it in the short grass."

I wonder if these two comments are related ...

They may improve their viewership if they move J.Mills out from behind the desk and without the formal wardrobe ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 11:05:06 PM »
A couple of you apparently missed the answer above as to how Adam Barr got his job.  John Cullum gave the answer.  Look again.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 11:55:21 PM »
I vomit every time I see him swing a club.  (Adam, that is, not John).

Yes, his swing is not a thing of beauty.  Probably not too many other 28-handicappers in the golf media.

Ted Kramer

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 08:51:08 AM »
The comments on this site are often times so predictable.
Not much is ever good enough, and that attitude gets a little tired/boring after a while.

Could TGC be better, of course it could.

Infomercials? I'm not a big fan, but guess what . . .
they pay bills at a TV station/Network, and I think that we can all agree that paying bills is important. . .

- I think that Kelly T. does a great job.
- I love Nobilo.
- Shells WWOG is excellent TV.
- I like Brandel Chamblee
- The coverage of the Euro Tour is something I look forward to every week.

I'd miss TGC a lot if it wasn't around. I watch it just about every day.

-Ted

« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 08:51:32 AM by Ted Kramer »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back