News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Golf in the Highlands, September 2006
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:26:50 PM »
It looks like 2006 is going to be the year for my first trip to Scotland. More specifically, I'm planning to visit the Highlands for 10-15 days around the first week in September and play Royal Dornoch three or four times as well as playing the other usual suspects Tain, Golspie and Brora. My birthday is September 7 so I'll make a point of playing at Dornoch that day if at all possible.

I'd love to have some company if any of you GCA types happen to be contemplating a visit there in the same general time frame. For now it's just an idea with few specifics attached but some time around Dixie Cup II in October is my goal for coming up with a firm plan and starting shopping for airline tickets, lodging reservations and so forth.

If I were going solo I'd probably think in terms of staying at the Golf Links Hotel in Golspie (right by the beach!) or if I can round up a partner or two it would cool to rent David Tepper's house in Dornoch. All details are purely speculation at this point but I wanted to float the idea in case someone else has a similar scheme in mind.

ForkaB

Re:Golf in the Highlands, September 2006
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 04:34:40 AM »
Brent

That is a particularly fine time to visit the Highlands.  The visitors are largely gone, the courses are in superb shape and you still can play golf until 8:30-9:00 at night.  The weather is like late-summer/early autumn in New England.

If you are 12HCP or below, there is a good 36-hole Open tournament at Dornoch the 1st weekend in Sep.

I'd play Golspie but not sure I'd stay there.  Find a place in Dornoch (there should be lots available) and soak up the atmosphere and the golf.  Above all, enjoy!

Stan Dodd

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 12:03:39 PM »
Brent,
I stayed at the Golf Hotel in Golspie,  you can do much better in Dornoch  David's place is very close to golf and just off the square.  I have rented the Donald Ross birthplace on two trips it is good with a great location and September rates will be a bit lower.
I have also stayed at The Eagle, good craic and decent food.
Rich is correct, the ambiance of Dornoch is special and you don't get that staying in Golspie.
Cheers
Stan

David Sneddon

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 12:17:24 PM »
Brent - I can recommend the Eagle Hotel - we stayed there last year.  Good food and very friendly bar.

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 01:29:01 PM »
This idea may be more trouble that it's worth but it would seem possible to use public transportation to get from Inverness to Dornoch and then hire a car at a local garage to make side trips to Brora, etc. My thinking is that if I were staying in a house or B&B right near the Royal Dornoch clubhouse I'd be leaving the car parked for several days during the week and having a car for just Fri/Sat/Sun or something would suffice for travel to the surrounding courses.

Three days of car hire versus ten days would certainly save several hundred dollars but it wouldn't be worthwhile if it ends up making the entire trip too confining. I mean heck, I might play Royal Dornoch once, hate it and decide I'd rather go play Alness for the rest of the week...

David Sneddon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 02:44:30 PM »
Brent:

Renting cars by the day or short term is quite expensive.  You are much better off renting a car at the airport on arrival for a week or two weeks.

I'd rather doubt that there is a garage in Dornoch that has rental cars available.  Remember, it is a village of only 800 people.  For renting from Inverness airport, you can try

http://www.celticlegend.co.uk/car/

I've used them in the past for short term rental and found them excellent on service and price.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 03:56:02 PM »
Brent,

I agree with David about using Celtic Legend for the car rental, if you decide to go that route. The owner of that company, Willie Wallace, is a friend of mind and provides great service.

By the way, click on the "Golf Tours" link on their website and see if you recognize the lefty trying to extracate himself from a bunker on the Old Course:

http://www.celticlegend.co.uk/golf/index.htm

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

David Sneddon

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 04:46:00 PM »
Brent,

I agree with David about using Celtic Legend for the car rental, if you decide to go that route. The owner of that company, Willie Wallace, is a friend of mind and provides great service.

Small world!!   Talked with Willie last year and arranged a quick rental from him - very easy to deal with.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 02:44:47 PM »
Well, here's the current version of my idea for a (first) pilgrimmage to Scotland next summer. The dates may move a week or two later or change altogether depending on how the details play out but basically the broad strokes are pretty much settled. I do know now that my wife won't be accompanying me on this trip. Here's what I'm thinking...

On or around the morning of August 29 I'll arrive in Glasgow and connect from there to Campbeltown via an afternoon 30-minute puddle jumper flight.

I'll stay for a week (roughly, perhaps more like five days) at a B&B adjacent to the Machrihanish golf club and play two or three rounds a day. A side trip down to Southend to play the Dunaverty course also sounds like a good idea.

Around Tuesday, September 5 I'll puddle jump back to GLA and either rent a car and drive to Dornoch or more likely overnight at the Holiday Inn Express and take another commuter flight to Inverness and hire a car there. So that evening or the next morning I'll check into a B&B somewhere in Dornoch.

I'll stay a full week, maybe even eight days, and play several (5-6) rounds at Royal Dornoch and at least two rounds up at Brora. I'll also have plenty of time to try the Struie as well as courses at Golspie and Tain.

Then around Wednesday, September 13 I'll either drive to Inverness and hop a plane to GLA or drive all the way to Glasgow with a stopover for a quick round at Boat of Garten or some other interesting inland course that's not too far out of the way. Overnight at the Holiday Inn Express and catch the 7:00AM flight back to the US.

So as I mentioned at the start of the thread I'd love to have some company for all or part of the trip if anyone is thinking along the same lines. Thanks to all those who have offered advice, in particular the couple of guys I've been brainstorming with by E-mail recently.

johnk

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 07:18:34 PM »
Brent,

Call up David Tepper about his flat in Dornoch.  Great location.  Very reasonable.

johnk

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 07:19:37 PM »
BTW,

Tain is great. Do NOT miss.

Boat of Garten is nothing less than the GREATEST sub-6000 yd course in the world...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 08:15:51 PM »
John,

I've been corresponding for a while with Mr. Tepper. He is a good source of local info and like myself enjoys spinning out scenarios and exhausting the possibilities with respect to scheduling, transportation and so forth. He also keeps sending me little postcards and articles and various inducements to think about nothing but the Highlands a full year ahead of the trip. Sneaky fellow.

I'd certainly expect to visit Tain and Boat of Garten would be nice if the logistics work out for it a round there, as well.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 12:18:52 PM »
Brent,

I have a friend who is a member of both Dornoch and Nairn.  I'm just about to go away, but if you e-mail me around the beginning of September, reminding me of this, I'll see if he could introduce you at both - Nairn is not to be missed, either - especially on your birthday.  If you find yourself having a free day in the Glasgow area I can also put you in touch with a Royal Troon member.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back