News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Buczkowski

Quarry at Giants Ridge - A Pictorial
« on: June 06, 2005, 10:54:45 PM »
I had the great pleasure of playing in the land of 10,000 lakes last week at the "Jeff Brauer trail".  All 3 courses are well worth seeing; I'll likely post a thread about the other courses in the near future.  The Quarry at Giants Ridge will start the series...its a great modern course.  I could classify it as a modern blend of Tobacco Road and Cuscowilla, but it is unique and good enough to set a new standard.  In my mind its at least as good as those two courses and possibly better; high praise indeed considering the quality of those tracks.  With all the rain they had this spring, the course was reasonably firm and in great condition.

The only negative comments I heard about the course was the presence of blind shots.  As you'll see from the photos, the tees usually offer good visuals of the hole, with only two minor exceptions.  The blind shots only occur if a player is on the wrong side of the fairway...a nice subtle penalty for being out of position.  I was surprised that the starter encouraged free drops out of the waste areas.  After asking him about it he volunteered that many players were complaining about their clubs getting scuffed up.  I'm proud to say my SW has a scuff on it from the waste area left of hole 1. :)  They don't come into play much but it was still a surprise.  Calling Huckaby...how does that affect the CR and Slope? :D

The highlights of the course from a strategic perspecitve are the four medium-short par fours at #6, 9, 10, and 13.  They are so good that I'll detail them in a separate thread.  Yardages are given from the blue tees (6700 yards).  On to the photos...

Aerial (Apologies to Scott, especially if he has shown this one before...though I didn't see it on the summary)

Hole 1 - 409 yds

Tee shot #1

A nice gentle opener.  The key is the tee shot - although the fairway as about 50 yards wide, the more inviting left half will lead to a blind second and have the ball below the player's feet.  The greenside bunkers are well in front of the green.  The green is not as undulating as the rest but still holds the player's interest...there is a spine running through the center that makes distance control on the approach the key to avoiding opening with a 3-putt.

View from left of #1 fairway - where's the green?

View from right of #1 fairway

Hole 2 - 558 yds

Tee shot #2 - are you ready?

The dramatic vistas start on the 2nd tee.  If the player is attacking the green on the second, he should hit the right side of the fairway, otherwise the trees will a hindrance.  The payoff to clearing the quarry but not reaching the green is not worth the risk IMO, since the player will have a very difficult pitch whereas the play from the left layup area has a backstop for approach shots.  A nice introduction to the course.

View from #2 layup area left of quarry

Hole 3 - 405 yds

Tee shot #3

The player climbs to the elevated tee from the second green.  The relatively tight tee shot sets up the hole.  Its best to approach from the right side since the green will help feed shots from left to right.  The shot of the week occurred here when my wife lipped out a birdie pitch from 50 yards.  IMO the weakest par 4 on the course, but still a nice hole.

Hole 4 - 228 yds

Hole 4

This one-shotter plays long from every tee: 269 from the tips (with 10 more yards in back of the plate :o)) and 163 from the front tees.  The staff touts this as a redan; I don't really see the resemblance but love the hole anyways.  The back-to-front sloping green accepts a runup shot very well; but my wife and I ran 3 woods to the center of the green.  

Hole 5 - 485 yds

The highly elevated tee at the fifth

The hike from the fourth green to the fifth is the most difficult of the day.  Once you collect your breath, you face a decision:  go for the daring tee shot up the left side or bail out to the bunker, making it a 3 shotter.  The lone bunker guarding the green on the right side is huge! (don't ask how I know that).

Hole 6 - 369 yds
Really fun hole - but you'll have to wait for a future thread! :)  What a stretch of holes 6-13 are; its what makes this golf course fun for everyone.

Hole 7 - 175 yds

Hole 7 - this is the "Iron Range" after all

The "signature hole" at the quarry.  The back of the green is significantly higher than the front, causing the "safe" play to the back of the green to lead to a sure 3 putt to this front right pin.  The second picture from the front tee shows the depth of the fronting gravel pit.

A nicer day...and pin...at the 7th

Hole 8 - 455 yds

The backbreaker par 4 in the middle of the round.  Watch out for the waste areas that can come into play here.  The green is open in front, but take care not to go right or long, as the ball will collect in a chipping area.  Probably my most disliked feature on the course is the grass bunker in the back of this green - balls can feed down the slope around the mound, requiring a flop shot from the tightly mown area behind it.  I won't press too hard but would love to understand this feature (calling Jeff...:))

Grass bunker behind #8 green

Hole 9 - 377 yds
See future thread - it will be worth the wait ;)

Pete Buczkowski

Re:Quarry at Giants Ridge - A Pictorial
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 11:25:02 PM »
On to the back nine...

Hole 10 - 362 yds
Ditto hole 9

Hole 11 - 142 yds

The short but deadly 11th

The shortest hole on the course.  The slope in back of the green can be used to feed the ball to the pin.  Very undulating green, where close shots can yield birdies but a bogey will result if one gets careless.

Hole 12 - 436 yds

The picturesque 12th

My favorite long par 4 on the course.  The hole flows beautifully, even though it is almost dead straight off the tee.  The fairway slopes slightly left to right, with the left side slightly higher and easier to approach the green from.  The opening in the front allows a run-up shot, but beware of the high nob at the back left portion.  What a hole!

Approach to the 12th

Hole 13 - 323 yds

IMO the best hole on the course...in my top 5 holes I've experienced.  There are at least 5 options of the tee, but you'll have to wait for another thread. ;)

Hole 14 - 499 yds

Uphill tee shot on 14

A nice uphill par 5.  The green is tucked behind some dunes which has a punchbowl feel.  Very reachable for the long hitter.

Hole 15 - 431 yds

This could be the most controversial hole on the course.  You have to be careful not to hit through the fairway, which ends at about 180 off the tee.  The second shot plays dramatially downhill to a highly contoured green.  The player might be best off thinking 5 on this hole and try to make 4 on either 14 or 16.

Approach to 15

Hole 16 - 502 yds

The last quarry shot, the 16th

Playing back up the hill on this par 5, the player has a chance to get one back.  This is a good hole for my patented Buczkowski fade, to get a small boost from the right side. ;). You can see how the hole snakes left for the layup area, and then right to the green.  The green is reachable with a good approach shot, and is open in front.

Hole 17 - 181 yds

The last two holes play across the road from the other 16, and have a different feel to them.  The final one-shotter has a very deep green that can play up to 4 clubs different depending on the pin placement.  Again, the preferred shot here is a nice draw, either low or high.  This front left position is by far the most challenging.

Hole 18 - 448 yds

This hole plays dramatically different depending on the tee box one plays.  From the middle tee, an average length hitter can cut the dogleg with a 3 wood over the trees, leaving a wedge in.  From the back tee, a great drive is required just to clear (or skirt) the left bunker.  

18 tee with Embarrass Mine lake in the background

The green slopes severely from left to right, so a faded long iron is accepted as the shot of choice.  However, a miss to the right can cost one shot due to the lake, but a miss left might cost even more!  An interesting finishing hole; not my favorite on the course but it definitely gets the blood pumping.

Better get in before the storm hits!

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 11:58:22 PM »
Pete - It was great to meet you and Gretchen when you came to Minneapolis and gave me a beating on my own course.

You posted these pretty quickly.  Nice overview of the course.  It brings back great memories of my weekend there competing for the "Fuzzy Thurston" beer mug from Superior.

I recall bare rock to the left of 18 fairway.  Is it still there?  Did you hit any shots from the right side of that fairway?

Is 15 really only 185 to the end of the fairway?  I thought you had more room if you hit it right.  Regardless, do you like it or not?  It always irritates me to not have any option with the driver, particularly on a 430 yard hole.  I wonder if that was the only way they could build that one given the terrain.  

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 12:37:52 AM »
PETE  What were you doing way up there!  Let me know if you are up for a game in Orlando soon.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 12:38:43 AM by John_Conley »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 01:02:29 AM »
Well, I have been weighing the option to comment, since I haven't seen and played the course.  Let's face it, pictures aren't a valid basis to start throwing around criticism. TB and Cusco I do feel I can comment on from multiple plays.

But... I am not enamored with the framing theme on about 3/4 of the greensites depicted.  If it is only photos that one has to go by, compare those of Tobacco Road or Cusco on the write-ups here on GCA.com and those posted on this thread.  I can't say that there is too much comparison in green sites as to framing of the bunker placements styling or surrounds grading.

Of course the other thing is obviously that one is in a sand mine with pine barrens, and the other is in a pine forest of hard scrabble iron ore diggings.  Two completely different mediums and shaping and soil works are light years different in difficulty to work with.  

The question in my mind is, did Jeff get maximum out of the land he was given?  I am curious about the back of the 8th hole with the grass inverted bunker.  I guess it strikes me as a good effort to think outside the box, and I like that.  I also like the description of quite varied strategy from one side of fairways to the other in many instances.  Not subtle, but dramatic differences as to placement certainly adds to interest, I think.

Many call TB "goofy golf".  Strantz took his creativity outside the box too.  It is controversial as to whether he succeeded.  I think it is a big success, personally.  I'd have to play Quarry Ridge a few times to make that sort of judgement, however.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 08:36:14 AM »
I don't think I was clear about 15...it is 185 to the green center from the edge of the landing area, so you can hit it up to 245 off of the downhill tee shot.  I did hit a driver, but hit an actual fade instead of my usual shot, and went just through the fairway into the rough.  Personally I like it...I like the idea of a forced long iron into the green.  But I know many hate the idea of a non-driver off the tee and have been told I'm wrong about that so I'll leave it alone.

John:  The short answer is we needed a change from Orlando an any trip to my beloved northern MI requires half of the stay in Detroit for family.  So northern MN was a nice choice.  Quite frankly the 60* temperature felt great!

John K:  I enjoyed meeting your son...he seems like a great guy.  Have fun up there this summer.

Dick:  It could be my inexperience in describing the course as well.  To me the strategies of the course and the green complexes and surrounds are similar to Cuscowilla, while the dramatic and bold strategy decisions are like TR.  Certainly not the look - the site is definitely very different from both of them; most likely I should have followed my conscience and ignored the comparison.  ;)  

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 08:37:52 AM »
Oh and let me add that I omitted the pictures of 4 of the best holes, that are more reminiscent of Tobacco Road...maybe tonight or tomorrow.  Last night I had to celebrate a Pistons victory!  ;D

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 09:10:05 AM »
Pete,

Q@GR was not a previous AOTD (it wasn't available then),
but it was going to be part of the new series once I'm
done with the Updated series.  Good job finding it, I found it
the first day I heard about Google maps and I wanted to give
Jeff a surprise.   ;)

Jason Topp

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 10:30:54 AM »
Dick - In my view it is always good to raise questions, even if just based on pictures.  Given the location of Giant's Ridge, its unlikely that a large percentage of the people on this site will play it.

My view - having played a number of courses in Northern Minnesota, Q-GR did one of the best jobs I have seen of designing an interesting course in that environment.  Keep in mind that it is a resort course, so subtelty will not be appreciated by most people that play the course.  Thus, the challenges probably need to be more obvious than on a private course.

I thought the greensites were terrific.  The greens are large and often one has the choice of playing for the middle which is a relatively straightforward shot or taking chances and going for the pin.  

For example - 18 doesn't look interesting in the photos, but there is a cliff to the right of the green.  You have a choice of going for the pin, playing a run up shot that bounces right to the green or bailing out left and trying to get up and down.

While challenging, the course allows a good score (a certain Sutton Bay trip participant shot 67 there to steal the Packers mug from me).  At the same time, if you are overly aggressive and do not have contol of the ball, it can go South on you pretty fast.  

Also - Pete skipped the best holes.

THuckaby2

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 10:35:48 AM »
GREAT pics - man this course does look fantastic...
some day.....

Now as for:

After asking him about it he volunteered
 that many players were complaining about
their clubs getting scuffed up.  I'm proud
to say my SW has a scuff on it from the
waste area left of hole 1.   They don't come
into play much but it was still a surprise.  
Calling Huckaby...how does that affect the
CR and Slope?

If the good folks doing course ratings up there in MN
do this correctly - which I have no doubt is the case - then
they are to rate according to the real rules of golf, which of
course means play it as it lies in waste areas.  I can't tell
from the pics how bad these areas are but it's possible they
could fall under extreme rough, or get another adjustment
as hardpan, or have some negative effect.  In any case they
would be considered for what they are - and free drops would
NOT be part of the equation.

So if you take free drops out of such... and post the score...
well the effect is you're posting a score seemingly lower than
you should.  Which over the LONG haul might mean your handicap is lower than it ought to be....

Take that into consideration, for bets against members of this club.

;)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:36:32 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 10:46:45 AM »
I concur with RJ's impressions on the "framing theme", not only around the greensites, but the midlength portions of a number of holes, as well.  

Was there a need to create separation between certain holes through earthmoving?  

Jason Topp

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 10:53:50 AM »
What does "framing theme" mean?

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 11:23:07 AM »
Jason,

As succinctly as I can describe it, it's when earth is moved to create a desired visual (and sometimes functional effect).

Look at the pictures of 12, 14, and 15 for instance.  If you cannot see the bottoms of trees because earth has been built up, you get the picture.  The left side of the #1 fairway is another example.  

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 11:41:48 AM »
My favorite area on the course is right in the center of the property.  You have 6 tee, 8 green, 9 tee, 10 green, 11 tee and green, 14 green, and 15 tee all in the same area - it offers a great 360* panorama.  I wish I could have captured it with a pic.  You are correct that most of the holes are isolated from each other but its not true of the entire course.  I hope Jeff can respond to the framing issue on this thread.  From his construction photos you can see that the trees were already there.  My guess is that some of the edges are built up since its a resort course, but I should leave that for Jeff to address.

Construction Photos from Jeff's site

As far as the difficulty goes, it has a high CR/slope from the blue tees, but I found it very playable (both of my rounds there were the lowest of the trip).

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 12:34:53 PM »
Jason,

As succinctly as I can describe it, it's when earth is moved to create a desired visual (and sometimes functional effect).

Look at the pictures of 12, 14, and 15 for instance.  If you cannot see the bottoms of trees because earth has been built up, you get the picture.  The left side of the #1 fairway is another example.  

Thanks Mike.  Heeding Tom Paul's advice to post to learn rather than convince, I have some more questions.

What is the problem with building up ground so that you cannot see the bottom of trees?  Is it a visual or a functional issue?  

On number 1, it creates an interesting tee shot because of the alternatives of a blind longer shot left or a short visible shot from a long drive that catches the downslope right.

On 12, is the thought that it would be better to allow long left shots to run into the trees?  

14 and 15 - I think I get it.  14 looks to artificially funnel balls back in play and 15 creates an artificial containment.  

On a course that has a decent percentage of poor players, is the thought that more width is preferable to mounding?  This course is a struggle for many as it is.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 01:26:09 PM »
Jason,

Yes, it's certainly an aesthetic, naturalistic preference on my part.  Rarely in nature does one see a flattish plain suddenly rising before a tree line.  

Functionally, I can understand if the intention is to help contain the poorer player.  My own feeling is that such containment mounds ironically often have the opposite effect, in that balls landing on the far side of them are further propelled, often with the aid of a cart path, into further trouble deeper offline.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 04:46:39 PM »
Pete,

Thanks for posting the pix and aerial and the mostly favorable comments!  I agree that the stretch from 6-14 is the heart of the course.

Good to hear a few of you made it over from Sutton Bay.  I wondered if some would, but its not exactly that easy an add on trip.  I'm glad you think the short 4's are strong - as so many think designing them is a lost art.  In fact, 6 and 9 were the last two holes in the routing, as I was nervous about 6 as a ridge runner fw, and the narrow valley approach on 9.  A trip to Sand Hills took away the first worry (after playing the second) and a trip to Ireland convinced me to do 9, as many holes have narrow openings.  Even 13 was a field change - our topos showed nothing like that topo on the ground.  Only 10 was built to plan - the old pond was a clean out dump for rail cars.  (You see the old tracks cross near 1 fw, 9 green and 10 tee - also the cart path on 17 was rr track when we got there as was the grass bunker behind 18 green)

As to some of the questions you left for me to answer, here goes.....

I have been on the left of No. 1 fw and never been blinded to the degree your photo shows!  It is a simple five yard walk to the right to see the target.  That ridge was there, after sand mining ops near the first green.  Tee shot strategy is to lay up there for a mid iron, or try to catch the speed slot on the right for another 50 yards.

To you and others, and I quote CB MacDonald here, "I am not yet confident that the course is perfect and beyond criticism".  

On the other hand, to answer RJ, I am tremendously confident that I did get everything possible out of the site with the routing I prepared.  Just look at the spacing of the aerial, and you can see things are well spaced, but using all of the property.  Believe me, I did several routings!  Also, RJ, the site was a sand and gravel quarry (both existing in the same deposits, and they were sifted out as part of the same process in mining)  The lake to the right of 18 is an old iron ore pit, supposedly with water now 700 feet deep.  

Most holes didn't need any screening, as there were mature pines, although there was an opening on 1 where I felt I needed to hide the road and another left of 15 green, which might see balls from 14 tee, although unlikely.

Most of the mounding and earth forms provides fill support for bunkers or kick in banks for greens, which is a theme, and makes the course very fun to play (IHMO)  Approach shots on holes 2, 3, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 17 and 18 can all be played with a "misdirection shot" which to me, is the modern equivalent of the ground game you guys all wish for!  Once, I nearly made a hole in one on 17 as the ball went by the hole, and then darn near made it again, as the ball came back off the back slope of the green!

So, there is some containment function, but not as much as providing for alternate shots and providing some of the "Damnit, Damnit, Damnit......Damnit its perfect!" kind of fun a resort should have.  Thats what I was shooting for, anyway.

I undestand your arguments against framing, but don't agree.  As far as I am concerned, the bunker placements and styling reflect the best traditions of golf design, as established in the Golden Age by MacKenzie and others.  What is wrong with that, exactly?

This is a resort that gets 90% of its play from over 100 miles away, and trust me, its not on the way to anywhere, so they have to want to come here!  It needs to be visually attractive.  Even barring that, most golfers prefer the green be the ultimate play and visual focus of the hole and I arrange bunkers and earthforms to provide both strategy and aesthetics., including leading the eye to the green, as I think it should.

You may not like backing mounds and I do agree that they aren't always necessary. Its a style.  I could cut down some backing mounds on some of these greens, with no ill effect.  See green no. 3, which has none, for example, with no ill effects.  

I was somewhat dissapointed in the fw shaping on the first course, and some of the fairway contouring including side grading, was a result of the shaper (same company) wanting me to know that they had improved since 1997 in shaping fw contours.  There are some I didn't need to see, but gave them some freedom there.  I think had they been simpler, it would have improved the grassing lines.

As to 14 kicking balls back in the fairway, as it happens, the landing pole required a 20 foot cut - the fw area was flat, and dropped sharply into the wetlands in front of the tee.

As to 4 being a Redan, it was in the original plan, and I suspect they really don't update all their marketing material, just use some of my original hole descriptions.  On my first site visit after 9/11, (which also occurred not long after seeing Tom Paul's Gulph Mills Club, where some Ross greens had been restored to their square fronts) I chanbed it into a liberty bell shaped green as a tribute to both.

The par 5's such as 2 and 16 would never have been built that way had I not seen Tobacco Road.  It showed me how bold you could be on a resort course, and both those sites had natural (well, unnatural) waste areas that could serve as dramatic alternate carries, similar to TR.  Other than that, I consciously tried to stay away from the percieved excesses of TR, although the exaggerated width of 13 green is also a tribute to that.  I just think that one ultra long or wide green per course is plenty, and Mike S used them plenty more on that course.

The noggin behind 8 green was a planned item, although the superintendent took some liberties to redo the grassing lines to downsize it to save sod for another areas, so it does look out of place.  Frankly, it was just an aesthetic feature, since I didn't figure too many folks would overshoot the green on a 480 yard par 4.....

The 15th hole was a dilema - At one time, I was going to grade the left of the fw into the mother of all speed slots!  It would have been one of those holes where you (yes, even you!) might catch it and be able to go home telling your buddies you reached a 475 yard par 4 with a driver and a wedge!  Big shot!  I decided against grading in that slot, since the bank was stable whereas grading it and seeding it wouldn't be, and the wetland at the bottom kept me from turning the slope back to the middle.  So, I was left with a hole where you have to get it right to the point (which is about 275 from the back tee) to see the green.  I have pointed out two areas where they could add a back tee for the longest hitter to use driver there, as most resort to 3 metals.  Some report a visual tendency to think they can cut the corner, which I don't see.  As John Kendall points out, the 269 yard 4th and this hole aim to put a long iron in your hands for an approach. Nonetheless, probably the weakest concept hole there.

Of course, I have many more thoughts about the course, but am tired of typing.  Will be glad to answer them at some other point,though!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 04:59:23 PM »
Jeff -- I must be one of those who thought they saw an opportunity to cut the left corner on 15...either that, or I received some bad information from my guide that day ;).

I never noticed any framing theme issues when we played the Quarry. I understand what Mike and Dick are talking about, but that's not the kind of feature that concerns me overmuch. If the green is fun and functional -- particularly if leaving things as you found them would have made for a lesser green -- then frame away, as far as I'm concerned.

These photos bring back great memories from playing the Quarry last summer. Hoping to return this summer.

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 05:32:01 PM »
Jeff,

Many thanks for your detailed response.  I probably should have posted the short par 4 thread first to warm up your typing fingers. :)  You can definitely sense some of the Tobacco Road influence on the course but I can't imagine anybody would claim its goofy golf or unfair, which the shallow greens at TR can sometimes create.

The difficulty with that nob behind 8 green is that many are approaching it with their 3rd shot, and shots hit right of a back pin actually funnel behind the knob.  Just ask my wife.  ;)  Not a factor when the pin is in front or center of that deep green.

As far as the "framing goes", I think its more like sunken fairways than containment mounds.  The cart path is relatively level with the surrounds, so there are no major kicks to the woods.  Beside, many of these fairways are 40+ yards wide so I definitely did not notice this feature while playing.  I only lost one ball in 36 holes on the track, and I am by no means a consistent driver.

All I could think about on the flight back was how great this place and the Wilderness would be for a GCA outing.  I hope there is a possibility of this in the future.  I am certainly no expert in this area, but the Quarry is a solid 7-8 on the Doak Scale, IMHO an 8.  I like it better than Tobacco Road and WWPB, and think I slightly prefer it to Cuscowilla.  The other 3 courses I mentioned were my previous favorite modern designs, so that is high praise.  To compare it to another modern design, I think its at least 2 levels beyond Southern Dunes here in Orlando.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 05:36:02 PM »
I have been on the left of No. 1 fw and never been blinded to the degree your photo shows!  It is a simple five yard walk to the right to see the target.  That ridge was there, after sand mining ops near the first green.  Tee shot strategy is to lay up there for a mid iron, or try to catch the speed slot on the right for another 50 yards.

To you and others, and I quote CB MacDonald here, "I am not yet confident that the course is perfect and beyond criticism".  

Good. Since you quoted Mr. Macdonald in the context of Hole 1, I'm inspired to say: I have no problem at all with the potentially blind approach, but ... am I the only one who HATES (the only thing on the course I HATE) the setup of that bunker complex in front of No. 1?

I've lost not one but two balls, I believe, in that hellishly long and thick grass around those bunkers, after shots aimed directly at the green, and only slightly mis-hit. That "It's perfect, it's perfect, it's perfect, damnit, it's lost!" experience is not one well-suited to any hole, much less a resort hole, much less the first resort hole (IMO). That super-long grass needs to go.

So, there is some containment function, but not as much as providing for alternate shots and providing some of the "Damnit, Damnit, Damnit......Damnit its perfect!" kind of fun a resort should have.  Thats what I was shooting for, anyway.

I'm curious. If The Quarry were a private, Sand Hills/Sutton Bay type of club, rather than a resort, would that change your design style? Would you offer even less containment, fewer kick-in banks, fewer opportunities for "misdirection" shots?

You may not like backing mounds and I do agree that they aren't always necessary. Its a style.  I could cut down some backing mounds on some of these greens, with no ill effect.  See green no. 3, which has none, for example, with no ill effects.

Actually, I think I'd go further than that. I think the lack of back mounds at No.3 has a *good* effect: increasing the variety of the course.

As to 4 being a Redan, it was in the original plan, and I suspect they really don't update all their marketing material, just use some of my original hole descriptions.  On my first site visit after 9/11, (which also occurred not long after seeing Tom Paul's Gulph Mills Club, where some Ross greens had been restored to their square fronts) I chanbed it into a liberty bell shaped green as a tribute to both.

I knew about the Gulph Mills connection, but not the 9/11 one. They should amend their materials. Name it "Liberty Bell." Does it still say "Redan" on the scorecard? I'm pretty sure it still says that on the Web site, because I saw it some months ago and was ... puzzled.

The noggin behind 8 green was a planned item, although the superintendent took some liberties to redo the grassing lines to downsize it to save sod for another areas, so it does look out of place.  Frankly, it was just an aesthetic feature, since I didn't figure too many folks would overshoot the green on a 480 yard par 4.....

I bet a guy could lose a ball in that grass, too. And be needlessly unhappy.

The 15th hole was a dilema - At one time, I was going to grade the left of the fw into the mother of all speed slots!  It would have been one of those holes where you (yes, even you!) might catch it and be able to go home telling your buddies you reached a 475 yard par 4 with a driver and a wedge!  Big shot!  I decided against grading in that slot, since the bank was stable whereas grading it and seeding it wouldn't be, and the wetland at the bottom kept me from turning the slope back to the middle.

I'm not smart enough to understand what you're saying here. Are you saying that the Mother of All Speed Slots couldn't have been maintained? Because I love the idea. It might take this hole from my least favorite on the course to one of the contestants to be my favorite.

This is a resort that gets 90% of its play from over 100 miles away, and trust me, its not on the way to anywhere, so they have to want to come here!

What in the world are you talking about? It's right on the way to Baffin Island!

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2005, 10:47:03 PM »
This report is one more brick in the road to a "circle tour" from Michigan, through the UP, onward to Giants Ridge and down through Wisconsin.

Trip shouldn't take more than a week(!) It always amazes me there are so many great/good courses in the upper midwest, where the season is maybe half the year...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 08:49:57 AM »
Jeff,

THANKS for your detailed response to our questions!

That's the kind of thing that makes this DG so wonderfully relevant.  

My opinions were purely coming from an aesthetic standpoint, and philosophically, I love the idea of the "kick-in's" you describe.  Nothing like a hole that gives you multiple ways to get it to the hole, especially if one actually can aim "away" from the ultimate target.  Do they generally keep the course firm enough for those features to work in the way you imagined?

I have never played GR, although I also know that it's had much acclaim, on this forum and elsewhere.  I'm hoping my travels to the midwest get me there soon.  

Thanks again,
Mike  

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2005, 09:14:45 AM »
Mike,

Last year it was great.  The superintendent used his computer system to apply the bare minimum of water necessary. In the irrigation chapter of my Cybergolf series, I posted a chart of his irrigation use, which, if you compare to rainfall days matches perfectly.

The down side is, he did such a good job that Troon moved him to a new course at Castle Pines and his assistant has taken over. I haven't seen it this year ) but am going this weekend for press day) and hope he maintains that tradition.

Some of the slopes, like left of 18 are steep enough that it would take really wet conditions for them not to work.

Dan,

RE: the 15th, my concern was twofold - exposing a very steep bank that is currently vegetaton covered would result in a lot of erosion until covered.  If it was rough, we could sod it, but there would be no strategic differenc.  As a bent fw speed slot, the best we could do is fabric netting, which at the 33% slope might still not have worked, and bent sod was in the budget.  I also had to ask my self whether that would be mowable after establishment.  Usually, fw mowers, even a lightweight one, running on long steep slopes on bent grass leads to a lot of turf damage, so as neat an idea as it might be, I wondered if it would really come off well in the real world.

As I said, if they ever get a state am or something there, they would probably add a back tee allowing the long knockers to pull out driver.  At the same time, adding something, whether trees or whatever, on the left to clearly show it off as a position tee shot might help.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2005, 10:27:21 AM »
Mike,

Last year it was great.  The superintendent used his computer system to apply the bare minimum of water necessary. In the irrigation chapter of my Cybergolf series, I posted a chart of his irrigation use, which, if you compare to rainfall days matches perfectly.

Anybody interested in this thread should definitely check out Jeff's archived writings on the Quarry at Cybergolf:  http://www.cybergolf.com/architects/.  Apologies for not pointing it out in my opening post.

After playing the course it reads even better, but I am sure those who haven't seen it yet will enjoy reading about the construction decisions he made all the way up to the grand opening.  Its a collection of 15 small essays that give away a lot of the thinking behind the design.  For instance, the second essay is about site selection, a FAQ on this board.

Jeff:  You'll be glad to know that the drainage is working very well at the Quarry.  It rained 3 inches in the 2 days prior to my visit, and drives were still rolling 30 yards, much more than its sister course.  Looks like the new super is doing a fine job.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »
John,

Thanks for your detailed reply.  

You seem much less aesthetically concerned with some of the mounding and framing and your contention that it isn't in play, or conversely, is in play but is required to offset some of the severe sloping, or to get rid of rocks, or to hide cart paths is understood.

But, you do say, "This whole discussion of framing based on observations of photos without any accurate topographic or distance measurements, the golf shots involved,and no actual visits to the site is impossible IMHO."

I don't agree.  I think I asked some valid questions based on what I observed in the pictures.  Whether the framing was warranted or not, I'm not a big fan of some of the shaping which seems to look out of place for the site.  

Perhaps I'd feel differently in person, as you suggest and I hope to have the opportunity some day.

By the way John, you seem very familiar with the course.  Do you play there often?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:08:45 AM by Mike_Cirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back