News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mike_Cocking

Ducks during grow in
« on: June 01, 2005, 02:13:47 AM »
Just wondred if any of the superintendents or anyone involved with grow-in may be able to help with some problems we are having on some of our courses in Victoria (Aust.).

We can't shoot or kill the ducks and 'duck-off' only lasts until it rains.  Ideally a granule or slow release version would be good, but we don't know of any?  A pressure gun also can't be used because of houses (at one course) and horses (at another).

Has anyone had any good results with other products we may not have heard of down here??

moth

Re:Ducks during grow in
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 02:27:03 AM »
How about a dog? Trained not to kill the buggers of course.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 07:51:55 AM »

Brett,

Our course had a serious geese problem, so the city spent thousands of dollars to buy a special dog to run them off and he does a great job of it.

However one of the first days he's out there a news/camera crew is out there filming a story about the dog and how he chases off the geese. So they let the dog loose, he runs towards the pack and grabs a baby geese by the neck and kills it. The camera crew was horrified. Needless to say that particular footage never made it to the tv.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 10:19:40 AM »
We have border collies at all of our facilities and as a result no problem with geese.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 01:11:19 PM »
I think Baltusrol in New Jersey has "Joe The Dog" to take care of the Canada Goose problem.  I remember reading about Joe during Pat M.'s GCA get-together last February.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 02:50:52 PM »
Vy a duck? Vy not a chicken?

Vi-a-duct...

(Testing all of your Marx Brothers knowledge)

Waiting for the Joe Hancock response...... ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 02:51:27 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Jim Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 05:45:58 PM »
I have a seen the "owl balloon balls" (not a joke) used to some success.  I'll try to find a link and post.

JT

Links-

http://www.epestsupply.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?preadd=action&key=BXTERROREYES

http://www.rsnz.org/publish/nzjchs/1995/84.php

http://www.bird-x.com/casestudies/bye1.html
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 05:52:56 PM by Jim Thompson »
Jim Thompson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 11:31:23 PM »
We have an Australian sheperd named Willie who would LOVE to go Down Under and chase ducks!

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 08:31:01 AM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 08:33:21 AM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2005, 08:35:22 AM »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Joe Hancock

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2005, 04:17:20 PM »
Waiting for the Joe Hancock response...... ;)

Tommy,

I would've never thought to look on a "ducks during grow in" thread for my specific input. I need more clarification, however, as to whether you're looking for my expertise, or perhaps comedic input? I hope you aren't insinuating anything between myself and ducks.....or any other waterfowl, for that matter!

"My theory", by Anne Elk.......... ;D

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back