News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philippe Binette

Technology in course design and construction
« on: May 13, 2005, 03:02:11 PM »
In a time where technology is affecting the game more and more as far as equipment, what do you think would be the next major technology that would affect course design and construction...

Would it be about drainage, environment, grasses...

what do you think

ChasLawler

Re:Technology in course design and construction
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 03:08:36 PM »
I'm waiting on a bent grass or fescue variety for fairways and rough that will grow and remain healthy (at a reasonable cost), south of the Mason-Dixon line - particularly in the transition zone.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 03:09:21 PM by Cabell_Ackerly »

Steve Okula

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 04:00:02 PM »
The obvious call is computer programs, like auto-cad, that even now can construct 3-D images and "fly-throughs" of a course before ground has been broken.

GPS is being used more and more, especially for irrigation design and installation.

Laser mower is a reality. I believe there is a model commercially available in Germany. It mows the grass with a laser beam, drying the clippings in its wake. So far, they haven't got one precise enough to do greens or anything.

Theoretically, you could have pilotless laser mowers being programmed by computer and directed by satellite. The major part of the maintenance could then be done at night, coordinated with the irrigation by computer.

The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Mark Brown

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »
More fine leaf Bermuda for greens and the advancement of club shafts and fitting them to the player. Also the development of paspalum.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:04:48 PM by Mark Brown »

Jim Thompson

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 10:49:18 PM »
IMHO-

1. Drainage

2. Poa supina in northern areas

Used to combat impact of cart traffic.

JT
Jim Thompson

Joe Hancock

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 08:42:48 AM »
I would imagine the advancement of artificial playing surfaces will continue, with regards to the environment and maintenance costs especially.

When someone can produce all the characteristics of good turf(firmness, resiliency, texture, etc.) I think we'll see it used on higher end projects and in areas that are currently high traffic or high maintenance areas, with the probable exception of the putting green...and who knows, maybe even the putting green some day.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Michael Dugger

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 01:51:36 PM »
C. B. Macdonald would probably say the soul of golf shrieks! what with all this talk of artificial surfaces and laser cut greens.  

I can just hear DM Kidd's father speaking fondly of his turf being made up of synthetics and ground up sneakers.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »
Rest assured I don't advocate the ideas I tossed out there, but to think things won't change is naive.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

RJ_Daley

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »
IN terms of things that effect construction, I thing even more efficient irrigation systems will be invented out of necessity.  

Paspulum and other turf species and cultivars that can tolerate effluent water, and somehow genetic manipulation of cultivars to use less water and fertility are a must.

I believe that if many more advancements aren't made in water-fertility usage of the turf plant, golf will have to yield to real  resource crisis concerns in 50 years or<.

Along those lines, soil ammendments to retain and help the plant use water and nutirents more efficiently also will be improved.

Contruction wise, perhaps some sort of more multi-use or convertible grading-shaping machine that is light yet powerful and can be run even more precisely.  Perhaps something that is more fuel efficient or uses something other than diesel, or bio-diesel.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Sneddon

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
I would imagine the advancement of artificial playing surfaces will continue, with regards to the environment and maintenance costs especially.

When someone can produce all the characteristics of good turf(firmness, resiliency, texture, etc.) I think we'll see it used on higher end projects and in areas that are currently high traffic or high maintenance areas, with the probable exception of the putting green...and who knows, maybe even the putting green some day.

Joe

There is artificial turf that meets your criterion, Joe, it is a combination of the type of polypropylene and the mixture used as infill.  One problem is that the infill is moved on each tee shot (par 3 irons), and even though it can be brushed back into the 'divot' by the golfer, it will still be rather soft until it is rolled.  It is a problem, but as far as artificial goes, it gives one the most realistic feel vis a vis real turf.

The problems are similar with a fairway turf, however the 'divots' would be scattered over an area, rather than concentrated on one area of tee.

As far as greens go, you can infill a green to hold a ball from 180yds, however that green will be, by nature of the infill, rather slow to putt.  We can make the greens to club/tour speeds, but it will not hold a ball, unless it has a *lot* of backspin.  So there is a tradeoff - putting speed vs holding.  I could see that some clubs may wish to use artificial in their practice areas, to reduce water, fertilizer etc.

I see more usage of artificial turf in the tee areas.  Installation costs are too high for fairway.  In the tee areas, it does offer some cost savings, since no watering, fertilizing or cutting is required, daily maintenance would be about the same in costs too, I would think.

Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 06:13:29 PM »
I keep being told that someday soon the grading equipment will be connected to GPS, so that the machines can translate the drawings directly to the ground without the need of a shaper with a good eye.

Of course, no one has ever drawn a golf course on paper which was as good in three dimensions as those built in the field.

Mike_Young

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 06:26:48 PM »
I think thhe golf cart companies or tire companies will find a way to use carts without cartpaths.  Which is a huge savings.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Joe Hancock

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 07:29:50 PM »
Mike,

Done deal. We have a fleet of 55 carts, and other than to #1 and #10 tees...no paths. Apart from a couple parking areas near tees, there is grass everywhere.

Joe

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back