News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stuart Donald

Re:Cape Kidnappers pictorial
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2005, 06:06:12 AM »
Mark

Difficult question and one I often contemplate. There are countless fantastic locations for golf in NZ based on the land forms and natural beauty. I believe the type of estate I envision could be built in a number of areas but I have a few specifically in mind that capture the essence of my inspiration and will logistically be more feasible. NZ is one big fun park full of outdoor activity and healthy lifestyle that few people truly experience. Three things that always come to the surface when I consider this are golf, fishing and wine - this narrows it down a little.  ;)

http://www.wine-cellar.co.nz/regions/

cheers

Stu

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2005, 08:03:05 AM »
Jamie:

We did a rough earthmoving estimate for each hole and gave just a total to Mr. Robertson for our budget, but we were not worried about his ability to spend more if necessary.  We probably went "over budget" a bit because of the change to the 16th hole which would not have required nearly as much earthmoving as a short par-4 in our original plan.  Actually, though, the contractor's earthmoving costs were so reasonable that we might still have been under budget.

I don't remember the total off the top of my head but it was not as much as you would think from the description above -- for example on #7 and #9 we just shoved and hauled dirt down into the ravine from both sides for a few days.

Scott Coan

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2005, 05:45:00 AM »
Scott,
What has been the reaction of the players you've taken up there? What do they make of it all?

Mark, all are amazed at first with the access road which is a wonder in and of itself.  The quality of the course and driving range speaks for itself.  Almost all of us have been to Kauri as well and it's a universal opinion that Kidnapper's is suffering from not having a proper Clubhouse/lodge.  Really an ambiance thing, Kauri has the complete package and Kidnapper's has this sheep shed of a pro shop/locker room/lounge.

There have been some that have been beat down so bad by their poor scoring that they are not so keen, but most have kept coming back for more and we are all developing a better appreciation for the layout the more we have a crack at it.

I was pissed off this time that the putting green was not cut that morning as was obvious from all the dew and hairy grass on it.  They need to do better than that with the dinero they are charging.

Also, we as a group had decided to play the Whites for this competition as we had been beat up pretty badly from the Blues on a prior visit.  But we found that on more than half the tees the White markers were set up on the Green distances, so we didnt get the play the course we intended to play.  I think this is a result of all the negative pub the course is getting vis a vis it's difficulty.  

Buck Wolter

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2005, 11:13:01 AM »
No reason not to go now.

Special Offer from Travelocity:    
$626 -- Fly Roundtrip to New Zealand *  
Los Angeles to New Zealand
Travel dates: Depart: May 13-June 27

http://dir.travelzoo.com/Air.asp?intCategory=10&id=189347

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Kirk Gill

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2005, 04:38:24 PM »
And here's another place to go.

http://hokianga.com/rawenegolfclub/index.html
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

PThomas

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2005, 10:35:09 PM »
thanks Scott and congrats T Doak!

someday, someday....
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2005, 08:50:12 AM »
I hadn't seen the comments on the end of this about the clubhouse, but I love their clubhouse -- informal, relaxed, small because it's surrounded by golf and because they don't expect to play 100 rounds per day.  Of the projects I've designed to date, Kidnappers, Barnbougle and Stonewall have the 3 best clubhouses so far.

The facility at Kauri Cliffs is entirely different because it includes the lodge and the dining facility.  The rooms at Kauri Cliffs are the prettiest I've ever stayed in, but they discovered there that a certain percentage of guests are non-golfers, so they didn't want to build the lodge facilities in conjunction with the clubhouse at Kidnappers.

The original location for the lodge at Kidnappers (about three miles further out on the point than the golf course) would have been spectacular, but alas, that location was shot down by the local planning council.  They are now developing plans for a golfers' lodge on the drive in.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2005, 08:52:12 AM by Tom_Doak »

Scott Coan

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2005, 05:10:57 AM »
Tom & Mark, don't get me wrong I love the clubhouse at Kidnappers - informal but with a real touch of class.  The waterfall shower in the Men's locker is to die for!

My comments were geared more towards the inevitable comparison of the experience vis a vis Kauri Cliffs as I would say a good percentage of players take on both courses in a trip to NZ.  To a man, and I have hosted dozens of players at each course, they all say that the Kauri experience takes it hand-down.  

I have to think that this is due to the lack of any lodging up at Kidnappers.  It's a bummer that the Environment Court shot down the original lodge proposal but I have read comments from Mr. Robertson to the effect that he's now happy in that it's enabled him to reflect and now build a luxury lodge but also a less extravagant "golfers lodge".  

That'll make a huge difference.  Tough to take on a bit of swing oil and risk the Jurassic Park highway on the way out!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back