News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Good mixed-foursomes courses
« on: May 07, 2005, 05:28:33 AM »
Way back in the 60s I was playing a course with my father which was new to both of us.  I was prattling on about how good the course was, which holes I liked etc.  My father's comment was, 'Not a good men's foursomes course, but a good one for mixed foursomes'.  He pointed out that the short holes were all even numbered and that the long carries from the tee all came on odds.  

You are allowed to choose one course to play 18 holes of mixed-foursomes with your favourite male golfing companion and two ravishingly beautiful ladies.  Unfortunately, neither of them is Annika Sorenstam, both ladies having handicaps of 24.  Which course would you choose and, as there is a big-money wager at stake you must win the match, would you choose to play the tee shots at the odd- or even-numbered holes?  

Tom_Doak

Re:Good mixed-foursomes courses
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 01:57:42 PM »
Mark:

I doubt many of the participants here have EVER played a mixed foursomes match, so your thread got through to the second page pretty fast.  However I have played some enjoyable golf that way.

Sunningdale is the only club in the world I'm aware of where they might play mixed foursomes for big money.

But, I would be glad to play the suggested game at Pacific Dunes.  It's a pretty course which would impress the ladies, and nearly every hole has a forward tee which isn't too imposing, because we were thinking of the 24-handicap player.  I think I would let my partner tee off on the even-numbered holes, because the most intimidating hole for women seems to be #17, and because I'd rather hit the second shot into #16 with money on the line.

P.S.  Funny how architecture can be different from one place to another ... I would bet you $100 that not a single architect in the ASGCA has ever thought about whether his par-3 holes fall on odd or even numbers, and how that might affect foursomes play.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 02:00:33 PM by Tom_Doak »

Dave_Miller

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 04:49:04 PM »

You are allowed to choose one course to play 18 holes of mixed-foursomes with your favourite male golfing companion and two ravishingly beautiful ladies.  Unfortunately, neither of them is Annika Sorenstam, both ladies having handicaps of 24.  Which course would you choose and, as there is a big-money wager at stake you must win the match, would you choose to play the tee shots at the odd- or even-numbered holes?  

Good Mixed Foursome?  Isn't that an oxymoron ;) ;D
Best
Dave

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 05:03:16 PM »
My home club is good because my bride and I played a match there yesterday and won, despite the fact that one of us was playing poo-poo.  It is forgiving (assuming enough skill is applied to the recovery), which one good criterion for a mixed foursomes course.

Secondly, the mix of holes is such that if gents play odds and ladies evens, walks from green to tee are minimized, and there are no difficult carries for the weaker player.  This is another good criterion.

Also, the clubhouse is never more than a drive and a mid-iron away after the 10th hole, so walks in for a victory libation are gentle.  Another key criterion.

I am sure there are others....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back