News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Mid-Pines
« on: May 05, 2005, 10:20:09 PM »
Last Sunday I had the experience of playing Mid-Pines.I can't get it out of my mind.How much has been changed from the original?The early routing reminds me a lot of the early part of Broadmoor East.How does it compare to Pine Needles?Does the proximity to #2 and Pine Needles cause it to be lessor known?The routing moves you all over the property,making it fell a lot bigger than it is?Did I just catch it on a good day?

Pete Buczkowski

Re:Mid-Pines
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 10:41:21 PM »
Mike - I think every day at Mid Pines is a good day.  ;)  It has to be one of the best walking courses in the US.  It does get a lot of praise on this site; I think that you'll find many prefer it to even Pine Needles.  

Others will point to its lack of length as a shortcoming.  Just play #5 & #15 as par 4's and its a bit tougher.  I love the first 4 holes -- its tough to imagine a better stretch of shortish holes to open a round.  Whenever I play there the greens give me fits.  The speed is slightly slower than usual; combine it with devilish internal contouring and its a delight.  I really enjoyed watching the women's senior amateur there a couple of years back.  

I've heard that the routing and greens are the same as the original, but I'm sure some on the board know its roots better.

Tom Renli

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 11:39:11 PM »
I have not played PN post redesign, but I very much favor MP - both course and lodge.  Anyone with info on the PNs redesign?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »
In case anyone is interested in playing with other GCA'er at Pine Needles and Mid Pines later this year,

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=17799

Brent Hutto

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 06:39:10 AM »
I've only played one round at Mid-Pines, in February 2004. For me it's not as great a course as Pine Needles but it's a very, very good one. It really rewards my usual game of keeping the ball between me and the hole and it seems possible on most holes to leave yourself a straightforward chip shot if you miss the green. OTOH, if you miss in the wrong places (as I tended to do too often that day) it will test your chipping, pitching and putting to the max.

As Pete has said, it is a perfect course for walkers (maybe even more so than Pine Needles) and a lot of people from high handicappers on up to very good players actually find it more fun than its big sister across the street. I won't go that far because I just love Pine Needles immensely but Mid-Pines will provide you a very enjoyable round of golf. I can't wait to play there again this fall.

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 09:36:16 AM »
Comparing PN and MP is a fun exercise, but I think there are many old threads that do that so I won't give my take on that here.  

I think Mid Pines' shortcomings are in the middle of the routing - #6-#11 are not particularly inspiring.  Occasionally there are conditioning issues, especially in the summer.  Its a course where you have the opportunity to score really well, but the reality is that requires every aspect of the game needs to be clicking for that to happen, but playing to one's handicap is not difficult at all.  The number of "whiskey" loops is mindboggling.

For my tastes, the first few holes of each Ross course in the Sandhills are the best - I love #1-4 at Mid Pines, #2-6 at Pine Needles, #1-6 at #2, and #1-4 at Southern Pines.

Tom - The PN website has sketches from Fought; you might find it interesting.  There was a thread on this late last year:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=15128;start=msg258140

Pete

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 12:09:13 PM »
Ahh, Mid Pines. One of those very few courses where you get done with 18 and say, "let's go play some more."

As far as the routing, it's untouched. And, according to Ran, the only green that has been reworked was the 9th which he said the owner had done because he kept 3-putting. This must have been pre-Bell family ownership.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 12:47:15 PM »
Mid-Pines is an absolute gem.  One of my all time favorites, a great walking course.  Not as challenging as Pine Needles, but I still like it better.

Great clubhouse, nice walk up the 18th hole. Its like being back in time almost.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 12:49:23 PM by Craig Edgmand »

Nate Mady

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 12:51:55 PM »
Mike,

I'm with ya.. I've played both Mid Pines and Pine Needles 6 or 7 times.. Mid Pines flows from start to finish, up and down all around, a most excellent track.. Pine Needles is the step child to me..

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:01:59 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2005, 09:10:51 PM »
It rained hard for 30 to 45 minutes just before we teed off.No mud on the ball and almost no moisture on course.Sand is a nice change of pace from Dallas clay,especially coming out of winter.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2005, 09:32:04 PM »
When I was there last February it had rained for several days off and on and the day before I arrived there was like two more inches. The staff in the pro shop was apologetic for how sloppy the course was but aside from the greens not being rock hard and some damp spots in the rough it was playing firmer than my home course does when it hasn't rained. Maybe twice during the round was there anything on the ball when I cleaned it before putting. The only real effect of the rain on play was that the bunkers were packed down.

SPNC_Chris

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2005, 10:46:30 PM »
Had a meeting all day today at MP. I'll be playing there tomorrow afternoon. Long commute- I live 1/2 mile away.  :)

SPNC_Chris

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2005, 08:56:43 PM »
Perhaps the most perfect golf day ever!!!

Sunny, 0%cloudy, mid 70's in the Sandhills. Mid Pines was in absolutely 100% perfect condition. I'm seriously considering (well not really) never playing golf again after my round at Mid-Pines. It was that perfect. Made briliant shots. Made lousy shots. Both cursed and praised Donald Ross today.

Man!  What a day!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back