News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re:1000 Words Cannot Do Justice--Unique Looks at Pebble Beach
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2005, 08:26:21 PM »
Peter......never has any post on GCA caused my eyes to well, but I have to admit, your simple, simpy last post did just that....well done and if you ever hear more or can add to the story, please do..........p :'(ul

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »
While in the midst of his pre-shot routine, our playing partner (who by this time was really looking tired, sleep-deprived and just basically plum worn-out) uttered the words that Mr. Taylor and I could not possibly have predicted at that precise moment....

"So, where are you guys staying tonight?  Is there any room for me?"

The silence on the tee was deafening, and could be heard over the crashing of the waves, the call of the gulls, and the gentle laughter from the deck of the Beach Club...

Come on Peter, please tell me you got a picture of Dan's face at that moment.  8)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2005, 09:16:58 PM »
Peter,

When you told me the story that afternoon I was full of bombast and vowed I would have had his guts for garters had he pulled that stunt on me. In retrospect I feel that here is a man in love with an animal.... that too me is enough. I feel the same way about my dogs, but not to the extent of of paying extra for them to ride a cart with me. I guess I am too cheap.

Bob

Steve Lapper

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2005, 09:39:22 PM »
Now that "Pee-Wee" had his last great romp in the poa annua, where is Elmer Fudd (to put him out of his pain and agony) when you need Him?? :'(
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Dan Kelly

« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2005, 12:48:39 PM »
Just got a note from a friend that reminded me of this thread -- which no one here should miss. Thought I'd drag it to the top.

Here's the note from my friend:

Subject: Apologies to Buzz Lightyear.

Last Saturday evening, my wife and 12-year old daughter went to see the new J.Fo/J.Lo. movie, "Monster in Law." They scooted into two of the last available seats off to the side of the darkened theater while previews of coming attractions (I use the term loosely) were blaring.  While averting their eyes from the carnage of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie trying to blow each other to kingdom come in the trailer for "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," my wife and daughter  had ample opportunity to check out the surrounding seats.

Right next to them was a somewhat eccentric woman. She had been accompanied to the show by a "life size" Woody doll ala "Toy Story." Woody had his own seat, and stared straight ahead, wide-eyed, presumably neither particularly bothered by J.Fo's aged and wrinkled visage nor J.Lo's young and unwrinkled - - well, whatever . The poor woman spoke quietly to Woody until the movie started.  Sometime later, a digital wristwatch beeped, and the woman admonished her mute companion ("Woody!") and turned his watch alarm off for him.

As odd as it was, this turned out to be much less intrusive than someone nearby carrying on a cell phone conversation during the movie, which happens fairly regularly nowadays.  In any event, no word whether they went "Dutch treat," or indeed whether Woody was required to purchase a ticket at all.  

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike Benham

« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2005, 02:30:45 PM »
Hey Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat !!

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2005, 02:36:49 PM »
Rabbit, whether stewed, barbequed, or fried, is highly overrated.  Red tailed hawks seem to like it, but the fur and bones produce a terrible waste ball which takes the poor birds hours and substantial pain to regurgitate.

Lou,

You surprise me. Rabbit, when cooked properly is a taste sensation. During WW11 amidst much hunger and misery, the good folks in Belgium and France would skin a cat and serve it up as rabbit. It's amazing how similar their body types are when deprived of head and feet.

Try it you'll like it.

Growing up Eye-talian, many a Sunday afternoon feast included Polenta e Conigli ... along with gnocchi and rissotto ala milanese ... and red wine from the basement in little glasses ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2005, 09:03:09 AM »
As I told several other folks during our recent KPIV trip to Stevinson Ranch, I too had a rahter unusual rabbit experience during my trip to NorCal!

On the day I played down on the peninsula (Friday afternoon) I drove over to Stevinson that evening to shack up for the night. As I drove along the road around the reservior (doing about 85 or so to keep uo with traffic) I saw a woman drive by talking on her cellphone.

The cellphone conversation did not get my attention, but the full-sized RABBIT hopping around the back window did! This all-black bunny was just sitting on that little ledge in the back windshield area you find in most 4-seat sedans loving life as it's owner sped on by...damnest thing I've even seen...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2005, 02:25:43 PM »
White Rabbit, within a few months of Hunter Thompson's death and his love of Grace Slick's music. I think I know the deal now. You were playing with an aged member of the Jefferson Airplane aka Jefferson Starship for those of you 5 years younger. lol.

Jason Topp

Re: 1000 Words Cannot Do Justice--Unique Looks at Pebble Beach
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »
BUMP

PThomas

« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 04:39:35 PM »
Just got a note from a friend that reminded me of this thread -- which no one here should miss. Thought I'd drag it to the top.

Here's the note from my friend:

Subject: Apologies to Buzz Lightyear.

Last Saturday evening, my wife and 12-year old daughter went to see the new J.Fo/J.Lo. movie, "Monster in Law." They scooted into two of the last available seats off to the side of the darkened theater while previews of coming attractions (I use the term loosely) were blaring.  While averting their eyes from the carnage of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie trying to blow each other to kingdom come in the trailer for "Mr. and Mrs. Smith," my wife and daughter  had ample opportunity to check out the surrounding seats.

Right next to them was a somewhat eccentric woman. She had been accompanied to the show by a "life size" Woody doll ala "Toy Story." Woody had his own seat, and stared straight ahead, wide-eyed, presumably neither particularly bothered by J.Fo's aged and wrinkled visage nor J.Lo's young and unwrinkled - - well, whatever . The poor woman spoke quietly to Woody until the movie started.  Sometime later, a digital wristwatch beeped, and the woman admonished her mute companion ("Woody!") and turned his watch alarm off for him.

As odd as it was, this turned out to be much less intrusive than someone nearby carrying on a cell phone conversation during the movie, which happens fairly regularly nowadays.  In any event, no word whether they went "Dutch treat," or indeed whether Woody was required to purchase a ticket at all.  

yikes...this might be even scarier than the bunny..

Dan, if this one didn't get you to use some emoticon, i don't think anyone will!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

JohnV

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 05:24:04 PM »
I can't believe I missed this back in 2005.

The following is a sad story, but a little funny also.

The oldest entrant to try to qualify for the US Open in 2008 was at our qualifier at Mayacama.

Here is the quick version of the story.

Harris Moore, Jr is 79 years old.  He flew up on from LA on a one-way ticket, got a young couple to drive him to the course which isn't exactly on the way to anywhere.  After speaking with the pro, he slept in the locker room on Monday night without anyone knowing it.

Tuesday morning he went in and got breakfast, but didn't realize that it wasn't free.  Our staff guy there felt sorry for him and paid for it.

He showed up at the tee with a handmade sign on his bag saying he was a PGA Tour pro, a cutout of the PGA Tour logo pinned to his cap and a couple of paper towels sticking out from under the hat to soak up the sweat.  He froze over his yellow ball for about 30 seconds, during which time our staff person thought he might fall down, and then hit a good tee shot.  From there he hit it into a bad area, took an unplayable, hit back into trouble and withdrew because he felt he couldn’t walk the course and they didn’t have caddies or pull carts available. 

After that he said that he had to hitchhike back to San Jose as he only had $29.00 in his pocket to cover bus fare from there.  The club gave him a ride into Santa Rosa which was 20 miles away from the course.   No idea what happened to him after that.  Funny, but sad also.  I hope he got home ok. Our staff guy said he seemed very aware of things and not mentally unstable.

Chuck Brown

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »
Pebble Beach pro shop manager to Rabbit:  "You know, we don't get many rabbits paying for greens fees and a cart here at Pebble Beach."

Rabbit:  "And at these prices, you won't get many more, either."

JohnV

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 06:26:15 PM »
He should have been playing Cypress Point.  The Good Doctor would have approved of rabbits out there.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:47 PM »
Via Con Dios Pee Wee!!!

Love the story!

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »
wow - I don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading this thread.  But it was ALL good reading - thanks for finding this hidden gem.

JeffTodd

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 09:58:14 PM »
This is the only GCA thread I've ever shared with non-golfers. Some oddities transcend the game, and this is one of them.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »
Bump for the newer guys....hands down funniest thing I've ever read!!

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2009, 12:26:22 AM »
Two of the best threads I've ever read on GCA share a common link. Thank you Peter.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 03:14:20 PM »
A long overdue bump.

Ross Tuddenham

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2010, 06:02:10 PM »
Wow, what a story.

I am curious, how does a rabbit communicate its dying wish?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
After reading through this thread I had to go back to the beginning to see if the original post day was April 1.  Still . . . .

Sean Leary

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »
Bump.

I had the opportunity to play with Dr. Herreid again this weekend and this story came up again, of course. Still puts a lump in my throat after numerous readings.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:01 PM »
I missed this one.  This might be the funniest story I have ever read.  I know this story is real for one reason... no one could make this up.  I'm truly speechless.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2011, 04:58:53 PM »
Bump ...

... if there was a syllabus for Newbies, this and the Reverse Jans thread would be required reading.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back