News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

The future of Golf Course Architecture?
« on: May 03, 2005, 05:45:16 PM »
Q    Will you, like many other tour players, start to design golf courses?

A    I always wanted to play golf courses all over the world before I turned to course design. Now that I know what I like best, I probably soon will start to design golf courses.
I like links golf, the type of golf where they just put a flag somewhere and started to play. I don't like artificial golf courses. On most American courses, you're fine as long you get the ball in the air and land it on the green. That isn't the way the game was meant to be played. I like it when you have to hit golf shots.
Tiger Woods, Play Better Golf Magazine.  March/April 2005.

As if he wasn't already a hero on GCA!  If he follows his words (and so far that seems to be how he operates) he's going to have an incredible influence on future trends.

My only concerns are that the fees he will command and the type of land/soil he will require, mean's he will work at the luxury end of the market. These and the necessary 'Augusta standard of conditioning' don't sit easily with "put.. a flag somewhere and start to play" ethos.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 05:56:19 PM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

paul cowley

Re:The future of Golf Course Architecture?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:29:29 PM »
 Good post Tony.....it will be interesting to watch.
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Jay Cox

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 01:48:24 AM »
Hasn't almost every pro-turned-architect tried to "say the right things" before getting in the business?  Many even walked the walk for a while -- e.g. Nicklaus at Muirfield Village.

I'm willing to believe that Tiger *thinks* he's serious.  But I won't believe that, if he gets into gca, he'll build natural courses until I see it.

I agree with Paul:  good post Tony and a topic worth paying attention to.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 08:27:46 AM »
Without a doubt the 900 pound gorilla of future golfclubatlas topics....the insane amounts of money that will doubtless flow through a TW design project don't bode well for a natural outcome, but at the same time I can't see him just rubber-stamping one dull routing after another....it'll be very interesting to see what happens.

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 09:09:55 AM »
Tiger Woods has a lot to learn before you coronate him the future of golf course architecture.  He has also flown many more miles than most players, but I wouldn't ride in a jet plane he is piloting.

The future of golf course architecture lies with the architects that spend extra ordinary amounts of time on the site, and architects that strive to build courses with the most economical means that support their philosophy and good infrastructure.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 09:11:30 AM »

It will be interesting to see who IMG selects to be Tiger's GCA, the one who can translate Tiger's vision into reality.  :)

Any nominations?  Would it be a realitive unknown so as not to overshadow Tiger?

JESII

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 11:12:03 AM »
Tiger Woods has a lot to learn before you coronate him the future of golf course architecture.  He has also flown many more miles than most players, but I wouldn't ride in a jet plane he is piloting.

The future of golf course architecture lies with the architects that spend extra ordinary amounts of time on the site, and architects that strive to build courses with the most economical means that support their philosophy and good infrastructure.

Great post Kelly!

Jim Johnson

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 11:24:15 AM »

Great post Kelly!

I agree.

JJ

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back