News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Sutton Bay Outing - Thank You (Pictures added)
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:53:54 AM »
We had a terrific weekend thanks to the efforts of RJ Daley in setting up the trip and the service provided by the staff at Sutton Bay.  I have never been to a place that combined such outstanding service with such a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere.  

The statistics:

Friday - 36 holes, Temp while playing 40-50 F, Max wind speed 23 MPH, Max Gust 31 MPH

Saturday - 36 holes, temp while playing 40-46 F, Max wind speed 29 MPH, Max. Gust 36 MPH, snow flurries on the far end of the course.

Sunday, 18 holes, temp while playing 36-39 F, max wind speed 29 MPH, Max Gusts 36 MPH, snow flurries and sleet at the far end of the course.

In that sort of setting, it was tough to focus much on architecture. Nonetheless, we played 36 holes with Mark the first day and spent a great deal of time talking with him about the decisions they made in designing the course.  

They did a terrific job.  Even though the summer prevailing wind is from the South, the course is very fair and interesting to play in the opposite wind.  Those of you that have played the course in a South wind will probably not recognize my hole descriptions.

Into the wind, it is mainly a game of trying to control your shots to keep them on the planet.  Nonetheless, the bunkering has been well thought out and definitely comes into play on a number of tee shots.  The par threes are very challenging but playable.  There is ample opportunity to hit a punch shot into the greens, although more often for me it was a driver from the fairway or three wood.

Downwind, there were a number of decisions to be made off the tee and the opportunity to gamble and try and reach par fives in two and get near the greens on par fours.  Both par fives are reachable with a mid-iron after a well placed drive.  

One can drive close to the 10th green if you hit a driver, but doing so requires a precise tee shot because the fairway pinches about 100 yards from the green.

One of my favorite downwind holes was the fourteenth, which features a wide fairway, but, due to the green which is somewhat elevated, slopes off to the right and has a bunker about 20 yards short, one gains a significant advantage if he can place the tee shot on the left portion of the fairway.  

The sixteenth also plays great downwind.  Trying to control a shot into that green to get at a right pin is extremely difficult but not impossible and one can also make the shot easier by driving to the left.

I really liked the green complexes.  Most of them appear to simply be the land as it previously existed, mowed down to make a green.  They were constructed using the California method and have plenty of interesting subtle breaks and if one ignores the general slope of the land from the ridge line to the water, one is likely to look foolish.

We spoke with Mark about the decision to use an out and back routing.  He cited four reasons for that choice:  First - there are space limitations in the land that make it difficult to fit three holes between the ridge and the water; second - some of the best ground is at the far end of the course.  It would have been difficult to get to that land without such a routing.  Third - Graham Marsh felt that he would need to sacrifice the quality of a couple holes to achieve a more varied routing.  Finally, if one started in the middle of the course, one would still play the same 18 holes and have one long stretch with the same wind anyway.  

Others may have made a different choice on routing, but I enjoyed the course as it is.  The experience is very similar to playing the Old Course, Troon and many other Links courses.  If this routing yielded the best holes the land had to offer, I appreciate an architect sticking to that principle, rather than making changes to avoid the criticism that will be inevitable with such a routing.

The course was in good condition for its opening weekend.  It plays very firm and I'm not sure would be better when all of the grass turns green.  As we played it, I could tell no difference from the links of Scotland and Ireland, other than there may have been a bit more grass under your ball in the fairway.

I've got pictures but struggled to download them last night.  I'll add pictures later.

The setting is fantastic.  I thank the Lord that I purchased Under Armor before going.  I also can't wait for summer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 02:09:16 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Hines

Re:Sutton Bay Outing - Thank You
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 01:31:08 PM »
Ditto everything Jason said above and I cannot wait to get back as well.  I had to leave Saturday afternoon and drove through a couple of snow showers south of Pierre.  This is why family and friends think I am nuts, glad I got to spend the weekend with the same.

Jason

Jason Topp

Re:Sutton Bay Outing - Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 01:35:20 PM »
Some pictures from the trip.  I have numbered the holes from memory, so they are subject to audit.  This was opening weekend so the grass still is turning green, but it looks to be coming in fine.

View from the rooms looking South:

View from rooms looking North (course begins in the area under cloud cover):

3rd Hole:

8 green:

Guess which way the wind was blowing on 13:

15th Hole viewed from 18 tee:

16th Hole from 18 tee:

The course is crowded (I think this is 16 green viewed from the front nine):

18th hole:

Snow!

Where we spent most of our time:

Our esteemed organizer:

Wind does this to your hair:

George Pazin

Re:Sutton Bay Outing - Thank You (Pictures added)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 02:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the pix. It's a shame you went all the way and still ran into a crowded course.... :)

This is obviously a question for Mark, but I'd be curious to know how tough it was to grow grass in that environment.

SB looks like an idyllic place to spend some time.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mark_Amundson

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 04:03:03 PM »
George:

It is actually a very good climate to grow grass.  We have had a very cool, dry spring, especially the last 10 days so things have not greened up quite yet.  We get cool nights and warm days in the summer so the grass grows quite well here.  The fairways are low mow blue grass and once green hold a vibrant color all summer.  

Dick, Jason, Jason, Chad, Don, Paul, Doug, Gary:

It was great fun meeting everyone who came this past weekend.  I would apologize for the weather if I had any control over it.  I played on Friday with Jason and Chad and we had a great time.  The course presents plenty of challenges, even when calm, so we had some extra challenges this past weekend.  The chance to sit and share a beverage and some stories is one of my favorite things about golf weekends and this one was no exception.  If I can be of help to anyone please feel free to contact me at your convenience.

By the way, it is sunny, 60 and no wind today and supposed to be 70 tomorrow.  Always goes that way!

Take Care:  Mark

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 11:57:06 PM »
Well, I just arrived home after 14 hours driving from G-burg, Wild Horse.  

Jason, the pic of me above causes me to either think I am getting older and uglier, or that is the frozen remains of a face one has after completing the Iditterod dog sled race, and forgeting to wear a ski mask! ::)  My lips are still cracked and need industrial strength carmax. :P

Thanks to Mark for putting on a great weekend for us.  I have never been to a resort where the staff outnumbered the guest about 3 to 1!!!  You sure did pamper us.

I've been to a few nice golf outtings, and they all have a special memory.  But, I am not likely to forget this one, as it was a survival test on the course, contrasted with most enjoyable time in the lodge evenings, conversing with Jason, Chad, Gary and Mark.  Paul Hermsmeyer and his friend Doug Weiss who are a couple of native Cornhuskers from the rough and tough northern sand hills also showed up Saturday and gave us some schooling on the how to play in wind.  

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos to share this time because I did something a bit different.  I took my mini-micro video and taped the holes as I played a twosome with Gary.  The sound track sounds like "Twister". :o ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 09:45:17 AM by RJ_Daley »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 05:42:28 PM »
I want to chime in with appreciation for:

Dick Daley --- "Third cousin to the mayor of Chicago" -- an awesome organizer and a great sense of humor. Many thanks for putting this together, as well as explaining some of the golf course architecture which is slowly coming into my consciousness...

Jason Hines --- I apologize for "stealing" your precept tee shot on #2, (there's a story behind it i won't tell), but admire your approach to parenthood - coming soon!

I played with Dick and Jason on the one day I was able to play. Family crisis meant i pulled stakes and headed home too soon.

Jason Topp - a neat conversation in the Lodge on Scottish golf as well as Minneapolis/St Paul, wish i could have played with you (though i did wave your group through!)

Mark Amundson -- Wow. Words fail to describe the gem that Sutton Bay is - both as a course and its staff. Their kindness shines through. And, its one heck of a course - even in the 40's and a "bit of wind"!! Thank you, Mark.

Thanks again - i lost my GCA virginity on this trip, and i'll be back for more. Wish i could have gone with Dick down to Wild Horse.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »
Don, please forgive me for not adding your name to those who attended and provided such a wonderful evening of conversation.  Since you are a prof of psychology, I trust you have come to realise from our rounds of golf on Friday that I have an excuse for my absentmindedness... ::) :-\  

I'm still wondering how neither of us made it onto that 9th hole par 3 green that we played uptee at only 158, coming up quite short with a driver and a 3 iron atempt. When the wind is gusting 40s, I just can't do the math... ::) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gary_K

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 10:56:57 PM »
I don't know what I can say that hasn't already been said about last week's outing.  I had a great time despite the wind and cold temps.  Big thanks to Mark and the staff at Sutton Bay for providing a first class course and first call treatment.  

Thank you Richard for lining up the trip.  I hope my ripped-out pants didn't offend anyone.  At least I didn't get 'yucca butt' :).  I sent you a CD of the pictures I took.  Some were good, some were a little dark.  

Thanks again to everyone.   :)

Gary K.

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 11:05:54 PM »
looks like a great course and that a great time ws had by all...wish I could have been there!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back