GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

John LOW - 10 principles for course design

(1/7) > >>

Sébastien Dhaussy:
I've read on some sites that John LOW described 10 principles for golf course design in his book "Concerning golf".

I've made a research on Internet to read them but I was unable to find them.  :-\

Is any GCAer can help me by writing them ?

Thanks.

Steven_Biehl:
I have got a list of 11 principles:

1. A golf course should provide entertainment for the high and medium handicapper while at the same time present a searching and difficult test for the accomplished golfer.

2. The one aim of inventors is to reduce the skill required for golf. Golf architects must wage a battle against inventors by designing courses that emphasize golfing skills over equipment.

3. The shortest, most direct line to the hole, even if it be the centre of the fairway, should be fraught with danger.

4. The architect must allow the ground to dictate play. The good architect sees that there is a special interest for the accomplished golfer in each stroke, just as the billiard player always has in mind the next stroke or strokes.

5. The fairway must be orientated to both the tee and the green, thereby stressing the importance of placing the tee shot in a position from which the green can be approached with safety.

6. Bunkers should be used sparingly by the architect. Except on one-shot holes, they should never be placed within 200 yards of the tee. Ridges and depressions are the best way of controlling an entrance to the green. The best hazard on a course is a fairway bunker 200 to 235 yards from the tee, placed five to ten yards off the accomplished player's most favourable line to the green.

7. Wherever possible, putting greens should be of the low, narrow plateau type, with the plateau tilting away, not toward the player. No green should be higher at the back than it is in front, for that gives a player confidence. Only half the flagstick should be seen from where the approach shot should be played.

8. A course should never pretend to be, nor is it intended to be, an infallible tribunal of skill alone. The element of chance is the very essence of the game, part of the fun of the game.

9. All really great golf holes involve a contest of wits and risks. No one should attempt to copy a great hole because so much may depend on its surroundings as well as some features miles away in the background which influence and affect the play of the hole. If the terrain is suitable, some of the character of the original might be incorporated elsewhere.

10. Inequalities of putting green surfaces should not be exaggerated. A tilt from front to back, or left to right or vice versa is sufficient. There should always be a special position for the flag on important days.

11. Committees should leave well enough alone, especially when they have a really fine course.

An very interesting list.  How many courses built today uphold some of these?

Forrest Richardson:
Not having the book, I am glad someone here was able to figure it out for you.

A favorite quote of mine was Low referring to one-shotters:

"The short hole should not be long."

I think that is a brilliant summary of a par-3, don't you?

peter_p:
You do have it. It is in Cornish/Whitten "The Golf Course" in Low's bio.

Sébastien Dhaussy:
Steven,

Thanks for the list. I greatly appreciate your help.

Forrest,

I like this quote too. One of my favourites is on the bunkers : "Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version