News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

grandwazo

Wentworth - Walton Heath
« on: April 29, 2005, 05:16:46 PM »
I am being given the choice between a round at Wentworth East or West vs. a round at Walton Heath during a brief visit to London next week.  Would anyone like to offer an opinion and a suggestion as to which course would be a more enjoyable experience.  Please keep in mind that in this case, the golf will be secondary to the Cream reunion concert(s) I will be attending Thursday and Friday nights.  I hope I am not dating myself, but something about Clapton, Bruce and Baker at Royal Albert Hall seems to have taken be back about 35 years, to a time when golf was not my main primary source of entertainment and enlightenment.
Cheers!

grandwazo

Re:Wentworth - Walton Heath
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 07:17:43 PM »
Sean, thanks.
You could try www.theonlineticketshop.com.
Regards
Jeff

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:22:27 PM »
Walton Heath - no question

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:29:48 PM »
Wentwoth is an overrated parkland course.  It gets a lot of press because the European PGA headquarters are there or at least were there and it hosts the World Match Play Championship.  The East course is, I think more fun than the west.  

Walton Heath, as the name suggests , is heathland.  Both courses are excellent.  Herbert Fowler designed them and offer the player all kinds of options off the tee and into the green.  Wentworth is more American, in that the course is played more in the air.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 12:24:24 PM by tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2005, 08:45:07 AM »
   Agreed.  Walton Heath is great and unique.  Wentworth could be one of dozens of courses in the U.S.  Easy choice.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 11:03:42 AM »
Walton Heath by several lengths.  Excellent lunch, too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 11:04:13 AM by Mark_Rowlinson »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 03:10:08 PM »
Just to add, I'm told by a very realiable source that Wentworth maybe the most over-rated course in all of England.....

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »
Grandwazzo

Now for the important question.  How does one get tickets for this gig?

Ciao

Sean

You know you have a problem when you think Sean's referring to the golf....

Please take photos if they allow it - the golf, that is.

:)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 05:09:49 PM »
Yes definitely Walton Heath.  In fact Wentworth would do well to look at how Walton Heath has recently managed its heath.  Wentworth has become a golf factory too, corporate crap rather than a traditional club.  A talented architect could work wonders at Wentwort; getting the courses back to how they once were.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

MikeJones

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2005, 05:39:38 PM »

I haven't played Walton Health but I've heard it's a tremendous golf course however I cannot believe some of the comments here about Wentworth, specifically the west course.

I think its a wonderful and varied course.
Highlights for me are the short second although it's only a short iron par 3 it's quite terrifying to play as you hit over a huge valley. Distance control is vital as long or short (especially long) can turn into a double bogey or worse in a heartbeat. I speak from experience here.
The par 5 4th where the drive is very similar to the tee shot at Augusta's 10th hole where you must draw the ball around the corner to gain the advantage of the roll down the hill. The approach shot here looks deceptively simple but with rough and trees trees on the left, you find too late that a bail out into the open area to the right of the green leaves a very difficult lob to a green sloping steeply away from you.
Reverse tiered green on the long par 3, 5th hole with only the top half of the flag visible from the tee.
Short par4, 6th hole tempts you to hit driver when you really know the clever play is to lay back and leave a longer shot in.
The 7th hole's astounding green, angled and steeply tiered is one of the most difficult approach shots I've ever faced.

I could go on and on and perhaps I'll post about some of the other holes later on. Just because a course hosts a huge tournament or two, it shouldn't mean that it loses anything in the architectural stakes simply because of it's over exposure on TV.

One of Colt's masterpieces

grandwazo

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2005, 11:41:19 PM »
Thank you gentleman.  
I think I will go with Walton Heath based on your comments...in addition, I've seen both logo's, Walton Heath's is definitely nicer.  

RT

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2005, 03:53:06 AM »
I think they have just opened a new James Braid room there at Walton Heath.

And make conaissances too with head pro Ken McPhearson.  He is a person into his golf course architecture too.

And I would have recommended Walton Heath anyway if these two above items didn't exist.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 04:42:58 AM by RT »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2005, 11:15:37 AM »
Mike is right Wentworth West is still an excellent course: particularly those holes he mentions.  I think some of the lack of affection is due to the club's current culture and the exorbitant green fee.    

RT

What are some of your favourite holes on the Burma Road?

Is the East the more charming? (I've only seen the West from outside the ropes).
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

RT

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2005, 11:28:58 AM »
Paul,

One of my favorites is no. 5 as mentioned, and I think no. 9 merits some mention, and 16 is one of the most deceptive flat putting surfaces on the back right I have ever putted.  But there is some tinkering with the course in the way of some added fairway bunkers these past 7-8 years that bear no witness to a Colt bunker or bunker complex per se...

There is ooddles of more charme on the East Course. No. 2 so solid, yet so fun to play, no.7 a difficult par-3 to measure from the tee using a slanting open ditch and green surface just hidden but visible there in the imagination, Par-3 10th an exciting par-3 leading to one of Faldo's favorite par-4's, uphill no. 11 with its double-doglegish fairway calling for a slice drive and then draw second shot, 12-18 just some fine solid holes.

But if grandwazo can swing it after hanging with Ginger, Eric, Jack and them getting their big paychecks :o, then a visit to The Addington est s'impose while in south London at Walton Heath.  Or maybe consider The Berkshire on the both courses, well worth the extra few miles on the same rr track as Wentworth.  Also great exposition of Whistler, Monet, and Turner (JMW) together at the Tate.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 02:57:12 PM by RT »

Marc Haring

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2005, 02:41:14 PM »
I like #7 at Wentworth. Cagey par four with a wild green.

And #10 a short 4 where you can cut a bit off the corner.

And 15 is quite good with the well placed bunker on the right side of a severely sloping green that tempts you into hitting it down the left from the tee to attack the pin.

Apart from the clearly inflated price, I do object to the rough lines, which are just ludicrous these days. No chance of playing a running three wood into 17 etc these days because that snakey ryegrass rough will catch you every time. No wonder Ernie keeps winning round there.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »
The argument is Wentworth vs Walton Heath.   Green fees are substantial at both.  As a guest you have an enviable choice.  I reckon you get better value for money, as a non-fee-paying guest, at Walton Heath than Wentworth.  That said, do not underestimate the shorter par 4s at Wentworth West such as the 7th.

Gerry B

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2005, 04:43:25 PM »
walton heath wins in straight sets / 4 straight / 6 & 5 -you get the picture

Tommy Naccarato -  i also heard from a reliable source that Wentworth might be one of the most overrated courses in England

grandwazo

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 09:02:06 PM »
Gentleman.
Thank you again.  I have also heard that Ken McPherson is a wonderful pro and has been very considerate to my host over the years.  
Let me pose another question....any comments on Wisley, a Weiskopf track? I may have the opportunity to play Wisley during my stay as well.
Regards
Jeff

Gerry B

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 09:28:55 PM »
grandwazo:

if you are in the area and have time for 1 more round here are 3 suggestions:

1) Sunningdale Old
2) Sunningdale Old
3) Sunningdale Old

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back