News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:New TLGolf - Bandon Trails Article
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »
Yet another good article.

Here's a Direct link that doesn't break up.

Steve_Roths

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 02:24:30 PM »
Thanks Scott.  I got to figure out how to do that.  It looks like Sheep Ranch will be no more in a few years.  I am curious what they will be able to create out there.  It might be a good chance to add another lodge of some sort.  The one thing that sucks is that someone built a home on the Northern outskirts on Sheep Ranch.  

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »
Probably the best article I have read on Bandon Trails.  

Two guys from my club played it recently and thought it was the best course of the 3.

peter_p

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:08:58 PM »
I like the section where Bill Coore says many of the holes follow deer trails. That sums up a perfectly natural routing.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 11:24:06 PM »
I noticed the brief mention of The Sheep Ranch stated that Jim Urbina had done the work there in 2001.  He did a bit of it, but Don Placek ran the project for us, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to make the holes work from all those angles.

We only put in a handful of bunkers back then because we were afraid all the sand would blow away without irrigation, and I wish we'd done some more, but I will say I think it is a very cool piece of work and I hope it remains for some time more ... I believe it will for a couple more years at least.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2005, 04:39:59 PM »
Tom Doak,

I apologize--a couple of employees at Bandon told me that Jim Urbina had been the go-to guy at the Sheep Ranch. I should have called Renaissance to confirm that. I hope that you otherwise found the story to be accurate.

As for the Sheep Ranch, count me among those who hope it remains a while longer...I didn't get there when I visited Bandon a few months ago. One thing that didn't make it into the story, though, that is worth reporting: Mike Keiser did tell me that he believed the site directly inland from Pacific Dunes was superior ground for golf compared to the Sheep Ranch, for its soil properties and natural dunescape. Now, that is the full extent of my knowledge on the subject of a possible fourth course at Bandon. Mr. Keiser is nothing if not a canny businessman, and obviously he won't do anything to distract from what should be a terrific launch of Bandon Trails, but the wheels are definitely spinning as far as the future is concerned....

I did not have time to explore the grounds of either the Sheep Ranch or the site east of Pacific Dunes--I'd certainly be curious, though, to hear about the pros and cons of both properties.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 04:40:38 PM by Tom Dunne »

Steve_Roths

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2005, 04:51:35 PM »
You have to figure that Mike Keiser is loving getting to do this and wouldn't stop any time soon.  I hope he keeps up the pace that he has.  It is too much fun following this whole thing.  

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2005, 04:53:44 PM »
We're visiting Bandon in the late summer and staying at the resort.  Checked into the Sheep Ranch and we could get on, but were told that it was quite possible that it'd be closed for the year by August.

They obviously want to preserve it, and overuse during the dry season would cause damage.

Seemed to me to be be good, forward-thinking planning.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back