News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re:Who routed Cypress--Dr. Mac or Raynor?
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2005, 01:48:58 PM »
Remember kiddies, The Great Bahto found C.B.'s original plans hanging on the wall in a Southampton radiator shop. . . . . .

Gib,

I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but I couldn't help but ask for details on the Bahto story you mentioned.

Is there another thread that provides the details around this?  I assume the plans you referred to are for NGLA....

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2005, 02:03:51 PM »
I was not there of course. His editor lived 3000 miles away. However, Uncle George has a supernatural sense of where to find things. Almost like an Indian Scout who can pick up the trail of something from only the slightest visceral clues.

The guy is a genius and astonished me dozens of times. Plus, he is so disarming, that people just *want* to tell him things.

I guess he was following a string of clues about the grandson of the original Superintendent - who I think owned a radiator shop. My recollection is that he was tracking down some information and there it was, hanging on a wall behind some equipment . . . with  Raynor and C.B.'s notes.

You cannot believe what he came across while researching the book. Plus, he somehow convinced the overlords at NGLA to give him full access.  A non-member of one of the most private clubs in the world.

"Just lock up when you leave."

So, every single little crumb of data/memorabilia he cataloged and untangled an impossible puzzle. A dry cleaner from New Jersey. . . . . . jeez.

Sometimes I feel like an idiot when compared to him.    
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 11:42:14 AM by Gib Papazian »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2005, 04:09:47 PM »
Gib,
I saw the Easter Bunny the other day and he wanted me to say hello. He sends his best and thanks you for believing in him! (Your probably the only one who does)

He looked good though. He was rocking out to some Jefferson Airplane on his Ipod and had an extra set of ear socks for me to share with him. Nothing like rocking out with a dancing bunny. Nothing wrong with hallucinating either. Let's just all admit it, we've all done our share of fun drugs, including you Tony.....

Give me a C
Give me a O
Give me a N
Give me a J
Give me a E
Give me a C
Give me a T
Give me a U
Give me a R
Give me a E
Give me a !

WHAT'S THAT SPELL? ? ? ?

CONJECTURE!

Jim Nugent

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2005, 05:37:36 PM »
Allegedly as the story goes -when Raynor in his original routing suggested 16 as a par 4 as he thought the carry was too long to be played as a par 3 - Ms. Hollins took out some lumber -hit a ball towrads the eventual green site -and said it will be a par 3.

I once heard a rumour that Ms. Hollins was very "close" friends with a certain Dr. Mackenzie -fact / fiction / folklore / grassy knoll?

Sounds possible as she was also involved in Pasatiempo.

The story I have (on the 16th) is a slight twist on the one you related to us.  Raynor chose the tee for 16, the same one used today.  But he died, and Mackenzie took over.  He wanted to design it as 325 yard par four.  From then on, our stories match.  

In his autobiography, Mackenzie says, "I was in no way responsible for the hole.  It was largely due to the vision of Miss Marion Hollins (the founder of Cypress Point).  It was suggested to her by the late Seth Raynor that it was a pity the carry over the ocean was too long to enable a hole to be designed on this particular site.  Miss Hollins said she did not think it was an imposible carry.  She then teed up a ball and drove to the middle of the site for the suggested green."

(From "The 500 World´s Greatest Golf Holes," by George Peper and the editors of Golf Magazine.)

As for the rumor, pretty easy to believe:  world´s top golf course architect...a world-class woman golfer...together carving out a unique course in one of the most romantic spots on earth.  

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2005, 05:40:30 PM »
Tommy N.:

You just don't want to confuse your specious argument with the facts.

I love you and Shac, but you lose on this one.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2005, 05:42:07 PM »
That last post of mine proves the value of looking before you leap, or in this case reading before you write.  TEPaul posted the exact same info a page earlier.  Sorry for the redundancy.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2005, 07:01:35 PM »
My Armenian mentor,
Show me the proof. Show me the meat and potatoes. Don't want no conjecture. We can get plenty of that on other threads and posts by all of the usual suspects.

Show me the proof. Until then, there are plenty of articles, pictures and drawings that say a certain Cambridge-educated doktor of Scottish descent was responsible for the routing. It's as simple as that. In fact, you show me the proof and I'll eat my fat--I mean hat! :)

Until then from the immortal words of The Who (stolen from the Easter Bunny's Ipod)

Tommy:

Welcome to Cypress,
I guess you all know why we're here.
My name is Tommy
and I'm going make you more aware this year

If you want to follow me,
you've got to play the golf ball.
And put in your golf shoes
put on your eyeshades
you know where to put the ball....

Hey you getting drunk, so sorry!
I've got you sussed.
Hey you smoking Mother Nature!
This is a bust!
Hey hung up old Mr. Normal,
Don't try to gain my trust!
'Cause you ain't gonna follow me any of those ways
Although you think you must

Raynor touting guests:

We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it
We're not gonna take it

We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not gonna take it
Gonna break it, gonna shake it,
let's forget it better still

Tommy:

Now you can't hear me,
your ears are truly sealed.
You can't speak either,
your mouth is filled.
You can't see nothing,
and ignorance completes the scene.
Here comes Uncle Georgie to guide you to
Your very own DREAM!

Raynor Touting Guests:

We're not gonna take it!
We're not gonna take it!
We're not gonna take it!
We're not gonna take it!

We're not gonna take it
Never did and never will
Don't want no MacKenzie
As far as we can tell
We ain't gonna take it
Never did and never will
We're not ever going to accept it
We forsake it
We'll dispell it
Let's Seth get the credit still.......

Cypress Point Club:

See me.
Feel me.
Touch me.
It's Mackenzie.

See me........
Feel me........
Touch me......
IT'S MACKENZIE! ! ! ! !

Raynor Touting Guests That Can Now Miraculously See, Feel, Listen and Touch To Reality:

Listening to you,
I see the MacKenzie.
Gazing at Cypress,
I get the feel.
Following you,
I climb the dunescape.
I get excitement in the sand.

Right behind you,
I see the golf holes.
Your right,
MacKenzie routed them all the way,
From you,
I get the answer to my opinions,
From you,
I get the REAL story.........

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2005, 07:02:32 PM »
This is also for Gerry B!  ;)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2005, 07:12:48 PM »
Tommy,

He seems to be completely unreceptive...
the tests we gave him show no sense at all
His mind reacts to fact, the ears detect it
he hears but cannot respond to your call...

:P

Oh, so many parallels.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2005, 08:42:04 PM »
Kyle,
By Joe, I think you got it!

Now we'll have to find a Hackett song to throw in there.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 08:42:19 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Gerry B

« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2005, 08:55:37 PM »
tommy "can you hear me" :

i heard that the answer lies in the invisible ink on page 2 of the love note that  "al" sent to marion in the evening of  that fateful day when she she hit the 3 wood into the eventual 16th green site -this was the shot heard around the world

George_Bahto

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2005, 09:41:26 PM »
you guys are hilarious

gb
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

TEPaul

« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2005, 09:54:05 PM »
"Remember kiddies, The Great Bahto found C.B.'s original plans hanging on the wall in a Southampton radiator shop. . . . . ."

Gib:

Believe me, all that Macdonald stuff that you say was 'hanging on a wall in a radiator shop in Southampton' is a bit more complex than that. Tureski works at the body shop, he doesn't own it. Tureski is the grandson of Maconald's super at NGLA. There was a ton of material there, not just at the body shop but at Tureski's house. Who actually "owns" that stuff that you and George used is apparently an open question, the answer to which should probably be establised one of these days.

I spent about five hours down there at that radiator shop with those guys about a year ago. Some of their info is amazing on NGLA but colloquially it's about as fascinating on Shinnecock too. We all got so into the history of those two clubs so much those guys even got on the phone and called an old caddie from Shinnecock who caddied on the Macdonald/Raynor course that preceded Flynn's. Fifteen minutes later he was at the radiator shop and I talked to him for a couple of hours.

It's funny, those guys seemed more interested in talking about all the members at those clubs they caddied for and ran across way back when than the architecture back then.  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 09:59:26 PM by TEPaul »

Niall Hay

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2012, 10:02:08 AM »
Cypress Point Golf Course

I approach this necessarily detailed response to criticism of one matter I raised in my article with the deep reverence and admiration I've held for Dr, Alister Mackenzie's work for over 45 years - I called him 'a course routing genius' - in that article, and that's just one of his attributes, for which, as other have noted, he displayed a healthy egoism and some 'exclusivity' in his possession of input into much of his design work.

Nothing I wrote in that article was therefore intended to disparage Alister Mackenzie¡'s work in his final Cypress Point creation.  So let me state here my personal estimation of the situation quite clearly:

Cypress Point as designed and looked at today and through its history since construction is Alister Mackenzie's - its final routing, fashioning, its subtleties, grandeur, diverse strategic values and sheer beauty.  (However, let's be open about this, can we? Are we going to assume that Robert Hunter Jnr. entrusted by Mackenzie to essentially control its construction program, or his father, then Mackenzie's partner, who was highly respected by Mackenzie as a course designer, and who worked closely with him in California at the time, or several others, fine golfers some of them, and close to the project, including Marion Hollins - played no part in the 'give-and-take' thrust of design ideas normal with any architect's on-site endeavours, no matter how great he is?)

Which brings me to the course routing situation.  No, I personally have not seen Seth Raynor's original plan for the course, but it was clearly described in a detailed way to a group of us in 1978 by Bill Edgar (W.A. Edgar, 1909-1997), and I again raised the subject with him in 1990, when his astute golfing mind and memory continued to be sharp and clear.

Bill Edgar had studied a copy of Raynor's plan of Cypress Point with teammates, in a private home in Colorado in 1974 (Colorado Springs I think, for you sleuths), when he represented Australia in an international seniors teams' event.  Bill was a great and thorough gentleman, a fine, always amateur golfer, a decorated Australian, and had a deep interest in golf with a scythe-like analytic mind for golf holes wherever.  This is what I personally recall from Bill's discussion of the plan he'd studied, because it fascinated me (I wrote up notes that evening):

*The drawing was in two colours - black and red pencil, and was signed;
*There were no contours shown, but land features, treestands and the coastline and (then) roads were drawn;
*It carried the date X'24, and Bill noted that the use of a Latin numeral was surely uncommon with most people at that time, and suggested that Raynor was a man of letters;
*There were several yardage dimensions shown on critical land-use components;
*That it was apparently agreed in the 1974 discussions with teammates familiar with Cypress Point that Raynor seemed to have placed the clubhouse on a ledge seaward off the top of the knoll, allowing the 18th green to be quite a lot higher than Mackenzie's final location for it, and influencing the opening tees also;
*The drawing clearly showed a similar 14th, the par-3 15th, 16 as a short par-4 with a narrow shute driveline, then open, towards the 18th fairway, but the green shown where it still is;
*Holes 17 and 18 were broadly planned as at present, but Hole 18 was longer - perhaps 395 yards;
*That except in detail of some par values and hole extents, the course plan by Raynor was remarkably like the final Mackenzie layout in the corridors and zones used.

This clear description by a fine, interested golfer was the basis for my suggestion that we might be a little cautious in contending that Mackenzie paid absolutely no attention to Raynor¡¦s routing plan (which he clearly knew well) in devising his own for this fantastic site.  My comment was simply intended to respond to a claim in this forum that it was only Mackenzie who had any input in Cypress Point's somewhat unusual layout.  The majesty of Mackenzie's vision for how the site was exploited was never queried.

But we know that Marion Hollins discussed Raynor's plans with Mackenzie; we know Samuel Morse, Hollins and others were sufficiently happy with the Raynor layout that it may have been implemented had he not died; we know from Mackenzie himself that Raynor had 'discovered' Hole 16's sublime natural context for a golf hole, had discussed use of it with Hollins, and, by inference anyway, the complexion of the routing jigsaw around that specific situation, both ways, in the coastline format available.

Seth Raynor is acknowledged as a fine course routing designer.  Before Bill Edgar's close description to us of the plan he'd pored over with golfing friends in Colorado, I had scant knowledge of Raynor's work, but had been an enthusiastic student of Mackenzie's oeuvre over many years already.  So it intrigued me that some 2-year earlier plan seems to have shown a Cypress Point layout essentially similar to what was eventually realized on the point, and obviously it sticks in the memory of an architect with my deep love and interest in golf courses going back 45 years.

There has been a wealth of discussion generated on another forum about the simple cautionary comment I added to a far longer article about course routing matters.  Some contributors are knowledgably open in their reaction to that comment, and sensibly do not automatically preclude a broader picture of Cypress Point's genesis, now shrouded in time.

Whatever the substance of the Raynor plan for Cypress Point, a copy of it (possibly onetime in the possession of Marion Hollins?) definitely still existed in 1974, was studied then, and discussed with us over tea at Commonwealth Golf Club in 1978 by a great golfing gentleman not given to prevarication or exaggeration.  I have no reason to think it does not still exist.

Tony Cashmore
http://www.cashmoredesign.com

This thread is the reason why GCA is so great. People from all over the world connected only by enthusiasm for the design (or lack thereof) of men many of who have been dead for decades and their work tweaked to the point that they would be unrecognizable to the original architect/artist.  Again it is fascinating and the Raynor vs. Doctor Mac at CPC may be the best mystery of the bunch. The main characters among the best we have to study with Hollins, Raynor, Morse, MacKenzie, etc. The mystery of the routing of Cypress Point is the holy grail of this kind of discussion, I can’t think of a course, architect or founder with more intrigue.  Whatever happened to Cashmore and were attempts made to find the lost Raynor design in Colorado?

Another good summary below:

Cypress Point was then raised as an example of Mackenzie, that great course routing genius, making the most of a fabulous site – a mix of pine forests, great eroded sand flashes, jutting cliffs into the sea, and not caring about back-to-back par 5’s and par 3’s, because that’s what the site yielded most naturally. Let’s be a little careful here, however, and give credit where it’s due: the essential routing for Cypress Point was undertaken by Seth Raynor in September and October 1924, nearly two years before Mackenzie was asked by Samuel Morse, (the real estate developer of much of the Peninsula), on Seth Raynor’s untimely death, to finalize the golf course design on the point. Raynor’s routing plan (dated X.’24) shows that Mackenzie changed little in his plan, although the famous Hole 16 was a risk-what-you-dare 320 yard par-4 playing from tees further back and hugging the inner coast, the drive more towards the 18th hole. And the 18th green seems to be about up towards where the clubhouse now is – a hole of some 390 yards instead of the Mackenzie – realized 345 yards par-4. (Did Mackenzie ’compromise’ Hole 18’s length on instruction from the fledgling club’s board about relocating Raynor’s original clubhouse site, nearer the sea, up to the crown of the hill?)

Niall Hay

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
Remember kiddies, The Great Bahto found C.B.'s original plans hanging on the wall in a Southampton radiator shop. . . . . .

Gib,

I don't want to take this thread on a tangent, but I couldn't help but ask for details on the Bahto story you mentioned.

Is there another thread that provides the details around this?  I assume the plans you referred to are for NGLA....

Is there a seperate thread on this?

Neil_Crafter

Re: Who routed Cypress--Dr. Mac or Raynor?
« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »
Niall
There is photographic evidence that Raynor's routing was staked on the ground. There is a photo in a Golf Illustrated I believe from 1925 that shows a photograph of the rocks behind the current 18th tee - where Mackenzie also wanted to place a tee - with a stake showing the position of Raynor's planned 18th tee. When 16 is taken as a given in the Raynor routing 17 fills itself in, and 15 is pretty much a no brainer, so I think Mackenzie's last four holes must have followed Raynor's last four holes fairly closely. Before that who knows, I'm sure there were variances.

As for Tony Cashmore's opinion that the Raynor routing resides in Colorado somewhere I think that is a nice story but not a lot of facts are involved. Tony these days is living and working designing courses in China.
Neil

DMoriarty

« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2012, 11:29:33 PM »
Stake in the rocks might be more accurate.  Here is the photo and caption from the December 1925 issue of Golf Illustrated.

Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2012, 12:57:31 AM »
Thanks David, beat me to posting the pic :-)

Yes, definitely a stake in the rocks, must have been a nice job for someone to get out there and wedge that stake in.

This photo of the site for the 16th comes from Fairway magazine of November 1925, and clearly shows where the green was to be sited in Raynor's routing. It describes generally that "part of the first nine runs along the white sand dunes", and "other holes are built into the wooded glens". It then goes on to say "but of course the most spectacular holes are those along the oceanfront".

Alex Miller

« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2012, 01:25:56 AM »
When did Hollins reportedly hit the shot and deem it a suitable 3-par (I'm not asking if she actually hit it. Not that mess again.)

I ask because if Mackenzie had kept it as a par 4, does anyone else find it interesting that the green was sited where it currently resides instead of 20-30 yards farther along to the right and behind the current green? Is that a conceivable greensite and one that would make more sense if were a par 4?

It's been well discussed that the course was routed with 16 going out onto that magnificent point of land, but has it ever been discussed as to just where over that cove the green was to be built?

Genuinely curious, thanks.

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2012, 02:21:50 AM »
Alex
I don't know when Hollins hit that shot - and no we don't want to end up where that discussion led last time! her biography - but must have been prior to December 1925.

Clearly Raynor had been convinced by Hollins that 16 should be a par 3 as the green is on the site of that white cross.

Also, I am told by Philip Young that he has put a proposal to the Cypress Point Club to research the Raynor involvement at CPC, and should hear soon if he is to be engaged.

DMoriarty

« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
Neil,

Thanks for posting that pic.  The timing of the two pics nicely corresponds to Raynor's reported site visit in the fall of 1925.   While perhaps helping confirm Raynor's involvement, it isn't entirely consistent Mr. Cashmore's version of events in that, according to Mr. Cashmore, the Raynor routing had the 16th as a short par four (a configuration which shows up later on Dr. M's plans) but this photo shows the hole in its current configuration. Perhaps Raynor had originally sketched out the hole as a par four based on topo maps, and then had his famous meeting with Hollins on the tee in 1925?  And maybe Dr. Mac went through the same process first thinking the carry too long, then being shown/told otherwise by Hollins?

Phil the Author researching Cypress? Let me be the first to say that I always knew it was really a Tilly course. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Niall Hay

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
When exactly did Hollins reportedly contact Mackenzie to take over on the project (year AND month)? If these pictures from 1925 (November/fall) exist with the basic routing intact and Raynor died of pneumonia in Palm Beach in 1926 (not sure what month), wouldn’t that prove that the basic routing by Raynor was used by the Good Doctor?  Personally I don’t think that takes away from anything, be it the course, the club or Mackenzie’s legacy…

Niall Hay

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »
Raynor died in Palm Beach on January 23, 1926, at age fifty-one.

So when did Mac start his work at CPC?

DMoriarty

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:49 PM »
According to Geoff Shackelford's excellent book, MacKenzie received the commission in February 1926.

According to the excellent timeline by Nial, Sean Arble, et al., MacKenzie arrived in America on January 22, 1926, which was after these photos. 

I don't think there is any question that some of Raynor's routing ideas were used at CPC.  The question is how much and what exactly was used. 

Niall Hay

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »

I don't think there is any question that some of Raynor's routing ideas were used at CPC.  The question is how much and what exactly was used. 

Well said.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back