News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony_Nysse

Applebrook Golf Club
« on: March 14, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »
Gentleman,
  Looking for any info-know it's a Gil Hanse course with the traditional look....know you boys know a great deal about the place. Any info would be great. Thanks

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 09:34:13 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tommy Williamsen

Re:Applebrook Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 09:49:26 PM »
Not sure what info you want.  It is a very good course.  Few trees, nice clubhouse and fun place to play.  It is generally in good condition with bent greens and fairways--don't know the strain (L93 ?)
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Mandel

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 09:50:39 PM »
Tony,

It's a course that I like more and more each time I play.  Gil Hanse course that opened up about 2-3 years ago.  It is not on a great piece of property, sort of surrounded by houses, the land was originally supposed to be an office park and the developers had already done the preliminary work, so part of that detracts from the course.

There are some really good holes out there and Applebrook's website has a great hole by hole. It's an expensive membership, and it is pretty much the 2nd club to most of the people, offshoots of Aronimink, Chester Valley, as well as Merion and some others.

Walking only. Does not get a lot of play.  Its probably my favorite Hanse course in Philly, over Inniscrone and French Creek.   There are some really great green complexes as well.

There is at least one member that posts on here every now and then.  

It's about a  half a mile away from my home club, White Manor and is close to Waynesborough, Aronimink, Chester Valley and Overbrook among others.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

mike_malone

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 08:26:33 AM »
 Jason nailed most of it. What struck me was the way it fits into the area courses. It is different, but not goofy different. Some of the par threes are superb.
AKA Mayday

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 08:52:49 AM »
Its as good a new course as any I have played over the past 5 years, and that group includes Pacific and Bandon Dunes, Dallas National, Kingsbarns, Barona and Stevinson Ranch, amongst others.

It will age well and (rightfully) get more recogniition over time.

THuckaby2

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:15:08 AM »
It's a wonderful golf course, very unique, very fun.  Rich's statement is a tall one indeed given some of those comparators, but he's not wrong.  Applebrook is that good.  I'm not sure it will ever get the recognition some of those others do, due to far less people getting to see it, but here's hoping, as it sure does deserve it.

TH

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:41:15 AM »
 I wonder whether most of the members prefer it to their primary course. That tells you something about the quality of golf courses south and west of Philadelphia.
AKA Mayday

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 10:07:16 AM »
Like all of Gil's courses Applebrook looks fantastic in photos. I can't wait to visit in person.

The clubhouse looks really neat too.
jeffmingay.com

JSlonis

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 10:17:09 AM »
Check out:
http://www.applebrookgolfclub.com/

Here is view of the 11th hole, from behind the green looking back toward the tee.  One of the best short par 3's you'll see:

A view of the driveable par 4, 3rd hole from the fairway.  The hole is a slight dogleg right, and the green sits in a bowl and is blind from the tee.  This is a very fun short par 4, the golfer can attempt to drive the green or lay up. For the player who chooses to lay up, they must navigate around a deep Pot type bunker in the middle of the fairway landing area.

Applebrook has quickly become one of my favorite courses in the Philadelphia area.  There is great variety to the design.  A good mix of both long and short holes, excellent par 3's, challenging greens, and some outstanding bunkering, both strategically and visually.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 01:56:34 PM by JSlonis »

JakaB

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2005, 10:17:41 AM »
I love the look of the clubhouse and the use of the second floor for guest rooms....does anybody know what the rate is to stay in one of the rooms..

George Pazin

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »
My strongest memories of the course are:

- the way the fairways meld into the greens;

- the way the greens meld into the tees;

- the ha ha;

and the skyline greens.

I never really understood why it doesn't get more discussion on here.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2005, 01:26:21 PM »
My strongest memories of the course are:

- the way the fairways meld into the greens;

- the way the greens meld into the tees;

- the ha ha;

and the skyline greens.

I never really understood why it doesn't get more discussion on here.

Those are my strongest memories as well... oh that and Tom Paul walking and watching, not playing... damndest thing I've ever seen...  ;)

But what's "ha ha"?

As for why it's not discussed more, it's simple:  damn few people have actually played it.  And even for those who have, well... it tends to fall in tough geographic company.

TH

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2005, 02:33:30 PM »
Tom

A "haha" is a sunken fence.  I knew this from crossword puzzle competitions before I encountered a real one at Applebrook.  You were walking on air at the time and missed it...... ;)

THuckaby2

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2005, 02:35:42 PM »
Rich:

That's a good word to know for scrabble as well.  ;D

BTW, I wasn't walking on air at Applebrook nearly as much as at other places on that trip.  ;D  I believe I was grounded quite well... and I do remember the sunken fence.  I just don't recall anyone calling it that.  

mike_malone

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 03:52:35 PM »
 An interesting comparison is between Applebrook and French Creek. Both Hanse, both local, both within a few years of each other in construction. The main thing I noticed was the "fit and finish" of Applebrook versus French Creek. French Creek is newer, but I sense less money is committed to maintenance,which makes sense to me ,since Applebrook ,I think, has a more upscale membership.

The main similarity to me is the "humor " that Hanse seems to bring to his designs. The driveable par four shown on this thread from Applebrook is an example. You can drive it, but it is a blind landing area and the green has significant undulation. He seems to be playing with you.

As Dan Herrmann has shown us , the short par four at French Creek is also hysterical. Watching what happens when you go right at the green is a blast.
AKA Mayday

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2005, 10:21:33 PM »
According to the website, memberships are available.I thought the club was at full membership capacity. Is this a limited partnership membership, a la Stonewall and Lookaway?

www.applebrookgolfclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jason Mandel

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2005, 10:51:30 PM »
Steve,

Yes, it is an LLP like Stonwall, which I hear is also looking for members.

Jason

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2005, 09:35:01 AM »
Mike,
You're absolutely right about the maintenance, and that's being remedied.  The management had our Superintendant out harvesting native rocks for the clubhouse and doing clubhouse-area landscaping.  

They've now purchased 'real' mowing and top-dressing equipment, rollers, etc.  They'd been using old cheap stuff during grow-in, the thinking being that rock pops and other nasties would just ruin good new equipment.

There are some drawbacks to non-equity, and this was one.   But I think we're on the right track now.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 10:12:00 AM »
Applebrook is a wonderful, fun, challenging golf course well-described above, but I wish they could blow up 9 & 18 and start over.  

The clubhouse/waterfall finishing holes dramatics was a concession to the owners wishes and we know how that often goes.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 10:37:03 AM »
Mike,

I don't know the specifics regarding the waterfall, etc.  But I happen to like the 9th and 18th holes :)

9 is a good little par 3 and 18 is a strong par 4 in my opinion.
The waterfall is there but it never comes into play, does it?  Unless im forgetting something.

Jason

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2005, 10:58:07 AM »
Jason,

My comments are almost purely from an aesthetic viewpoint, although I think 9 is a little weak from a functional standpoint, as well.

You have this very traditional looking golf course on a beautiful, rural, Chester county horse-country site, with all sorts of fun, congruous elements like "hahas" and the like, and then you turn to come home and you are greeted with Gil's version of "Magic Mountain", that looks like something that came from Rees & Fazio.   ::)  ;D

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2005, 05:23:28 PM »
I admit that I'm a Gil fan, being a member at French Creek.  But I was blown away when we played Applebrook yesterday.

It's a fun, challenging, unique, and great golf course.  

We had a completely enjoyable day out there, and the architecture made it even that much better.  

Other than the waterfall, it was a great traditional layout in that was truely in the minimalist vein.

I highly suggest you check out Applebrook if ever given the chance!

(we played in 3 hours, walking, with a caddie - now That's great golf!)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 05:27:29 PM by Dan Herrmann »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005, 05:43:17 PM »
I liked 9 and 18, so what do I know? :P
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2005, 10:12:35 AM »
Correct - the waterfall doesn't come into play at all.

And I like 9 and 18 too, but I don't know if I could reach 18 green in two, with the elevation gain.  18 is one tough Par 4.

9 has great countouring in the green surface.  

mike_malone

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2005, 10:28:37 AM »
 Dan,
     What are the similarities and differences between the two fine Hanse efforts-- here and French Creek?
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back