News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Evan_Green

Moanalua Golf Club
« on: March 13, 2005, 07:17:13 PM »
Does anyone know anything about this 9 hole course near the Honolulu Airport. Golfcourse.com says its the Oldest course in HI.

In any case I have a couple of hours to kill in the Honolulu Airport area and was wondering if this course was worth playing, or am I better off sightseeing?

Russell Lo

Re:Moanalua Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 07:40:34 PM »
The course claims to be the oldest west of the Mississippi and was built around 1903 as a 9 hole course for the Sugar Plantation owners and foremen. It's a classic old course with all of the greens raised to promote drainage and no bunkers on the course.

It's very accessible from the airport (less than 5 miles) and should take you around 1:30-2 hours walking. Carts are allowed if you have a cart bag. 3 blind holes (#2 uphill 165 yd par 3, don't forget to ring the bell); #5 an uphill 420(?) yd par 4 and #8 a 165 yd downhill par 3. All in all a fun course that won't make you go wow but will really emphasize classic Hawaii plantation golf courses.

Aloha

Evan_Green

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »
Thanks for the information Russell and welcome to GCA!

One more question for you... is the course generally pretty crowded- or is it pretty easy to get out?

Mahalo

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »
I remember Moanalua as simple basic golf and quite poorly conditioned.  It was a nine-hole version of Ala Wai - the most played golf course in the universe.

JC

Russell Lo

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 03:06:59 PM »
Evan, the course is usually uncrowded, maybe some member play in the morining, otherwise it's pretty empty. I haven't played there in 6 years so couldn't comment on the conditioning.

Thanks for the welcome even though I've been reading the boards since 2000.Big time lurker.

Russell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back