News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

PThomas

an inquiring mind about the Cashen Course
« on: March 11, 2005, 08:33:16 PM »
Mark Rowlinson brought this course up on a another thread, so I thought it was worthy of its own

how good is it?  I remember when it came out the late  great Peter Dobereiner thought it was even better than the other course there!

for those who have played them, perhaps you could give them a Doak rating...

gracias
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Bill Gayne

Re:an inquiring mind about the Cashen Course
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 09:03:09 PM »
Doak in the Confidential Guide gave it 0-5. I'm not sure what that means.

I would give it a high 6. Definitely a six "A very good course, definitely worth a game if your in town, but not necessarily worth a special trip to see. It shouldn't disappoint you."

A seven being an "excellent course."

You make the "special trip to see" the old course. The Cashen didn't disappoint me at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 09:13:35 PM by Bill Gayne »

PThomas

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 10:00:48 PM »
it would be interesting if Tom provided an explanation to what he means by the "0-5" scoring, as he does it a few times in the book...

Jason Topp

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 11:03:14 PM »
I've only played it once, but I would agree with the 6 rating.  Incredible land, some interesting holes, but at least my recollection is that it does not really play like a links, more like a very firm inland course.  I recall needing to fly the ball into the greens on many or most holes.

Additionally, the only thing I remember about the seaside holes is the incredible view on a beautiful day.  Definitely play it if you are there but play as often as you can on the Old.  

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 11:04:30 PM »
didn't they bring some other architect in to modity it?

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 11:17:18 PM »
I don't recall that being mentioned.  I played there last June.

PThomas

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 11:18:07 PM »
Jason, I think I was thinking of Doonberg :-[

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 06:13:13 AM »
I always liked the Cashen course, thought the topography was great. I'd give it at least a 7.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2005, 09:02:17 AM »
The "0-5" ranking was meant to indicate that a fair number of people were absolutely going to hate the course and would support a "0" on the scale, while the rest would rate it somewhere up the line.

I'm shocked so many people rate the Cashen highly.  It's a spectacular piece of ground but it has a BUNCH of problems, and basically the club can only get people to play it by forcing visitors over there as part of a two-round package with the Old course.  Most of the members play it only in the summer when the Old course is completely full of slow visitors.

Jason Topp

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2005, 10:32:44 AM »

I'm shocked so many people rate the Cashen highly.  It's a spectacular piece of ground but it has a BUNCH of problems, and basically the club can only get people to play it by forcing visitors over there as part of a two-round package with the Old course.  Most of the members play it only in the summer when the Old course is completely full of slow visitors.

Tom - It certainly did appear that only visitors played the Cashen.  Care to detail the problems you allude to?

Philip Gawith

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2005, 12:06:30 PM »
I did not like the Cashen course at all. I felt like a goat wandering round on the side of these huge dunes, looking for balls in forbidding rough. Of all the links courses I have played in Ireland. it would be a strong competitor for my least favourite. It has scale, but no charm. It was ten years ago, so I don't really have specifics to back up those broad impressions, but I am sure not hurrying back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back