News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

T_MacWood

Who or what do you have hanging on your wall?
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:32:26 PM »
Beside you wife, kids, parents, etc...do you have anything golf related hanging on your wall at home or at the office.

I have MacKenzie's Old Course drawing and a Ross drawing of Pinehurst 1, 2. 3 and 4 circa 1923.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 06:33:40 PM by Tom MacWood »

Jason Topp

Re:Who do you have hanging on your wall?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 06:39:48 PM »
Office

Sand Hills 17 and 18 on my computer (a great shot from this site)

Augusta #13 on the wall

Space on the wall for Hogan's 1 iron (or was it 2) shot at Merion

Phil_the_Author

Re:Who or what do you have hanging on your wall?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »
I have the sign from the first tee from Bethpage Black. It was a gift from those at Bethpage.

johnk

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 06:54:26 PM »
I have this Alec MacDonald poster in one room:

I've never quite figured out which course it depicts, although I thought it might be Cruden Bay... around hole 11??

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 06:58:14 PM »
--Old Course Topo on my wall that I'm looking at.

--The MacKenzie Bathroom which features a stitchwork of the R&A Clubhouse; two prints of the Good Doctor--one at the foot of the bar at Claremont (from Dr. Gary Nelson as a gift) while enjoying a pint, another playing out of a bunker at Cypress (that Geoff gave me as a gift) and a placemat from Pasatiempo.

--Living Room (On the coffee table) has my cigar humidor; the Pine Valley Golf Club history, (autographed by Mayor Ott with a quite a nice note) Essex CC history (gift from one Jeff Mingay) Garden City Golf Club history, (a gift from one Patrick Mucci) Desert Forest GC history, (a gift from Dr. Bradley S. Klein) as well as my much-prized Emperor statuette, ablely crafted by award-winning sculptor, Sheryl Johnson.

Space is being saved on that very same coffee table for The Life and Times of William Flynn by Wayne Morrison and Thomas E. Paul, which has been pushed back another two years; slated for a 2025 release.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »
I have a framed Flynn's working topo design map of Shinnecock, creases and all right in front of me. And over in the corner I have this dumb looking bean bag clown that's an effigy of Tom MacWood I throw things at every now and again and the cat claws and pisses on regularly!

;)

JSlonis

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 07:14:14 PM »
Let's see:

Hogan's famous Merion #18 photo above my fireplace.

Also in the room:

A photo of Jack Nicklaus standing atop the Swilcan Bridge at St. Andrew's in the 2000 Open Championship.

An old black and white autographed photo of Byron Nelson swinging a driver from 1934.

*A recent neat addition is a flag from this past year's Crump Cup at Pine Valley that I had matted and framed.  I guess over past years they started a tradition at the Crump Cup to give the players that qualify for the Championship Flight the numbered hole flag that correspond's with your seeding for match play.  For me, it's a special momento that represent's many years of hard work, and a genuine love of the game of golf.

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 07:15:33 PM »
I have a framed print of Riviera GC 18th hole with Hogan playing his approach to the green - "Hogans Alley" bought it for $5 at a garage sale. It has references to the 48 US Open and the 83 PGA, but not the 95 PGA so it must be more than 10 years old.

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 07:20:25 PM »
At this point the only golf item on my walls is a photo of my fiancee and I on the 9th green of Greywalls with Lake Superior in the background, taken during its brief opening this past fall.  

I'd love to add some great prints and posters, though - anyone have any particular favorite vendors from which you get your materials?  

I've been to Tom Stewart's "Old Sport Gallery" in Pinehurst, which has a *ton* of stuff, and will be sure to bring some cash next time.  I highly recommend it if you're in the area even if you're not planning on buying.  A walk around the place is worthwhile in itself: a million autographs, art prints, posters, and other memorabilia.  Nice place to spend an hour or so on a rainy day in Pinehurst.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 07:25:07 PM »
I, too, have Dr. MacKenzie's survey and depiction of the Old Course hanging on my wall; along with a photo of the 10th hole at Essex G&CC.

Tommy:

I'm flattered. My book on your coffeetable. Sweet  ;)
jeffmingay.com

john_stiles

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2005, 07:27:03 PM »
On the walls or desk,

MacKenzie's drawing of TOC plan,
The Golfer's print,
old B&W photos of Crystal Downs,
old postcard of original Fishers Island clubhouse,
Raynor's golf course plan for Fairyland,
Ross' golf course plan for Holston Hills,
print of Palmetto GC clubhouse (designed by Stanford White)
old B&W aerial of 4th at ANGC,
old B&W aerial of Holston Hills,
old sketch of Palmetto GC golf course plan (1932)
my color photo of 5th Dornoch
my color photo of 3rd at Machrihanish

Most are small in size,  save the MacKenzie drawing of TOC and The Golfer's print

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2005, 07:28:34 PM »
I, too, have Dr. MacKenzie's survey and depiction of the Old Course hanging on my wall; along with a photo of the 10th hole at Essex G&CC.

Tommy:

I'm flattered. My book on your coffeetable. Sweet  ;)

Its a great book, thus deserving of coffee table space--the ultimate compliment! ;)

rjsimper

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2005, 07:33:07 PM »
A handmade cherry logo ball cabinet that my mother made for me several years ago...full of logo balls.

And a photo of my grandparents and I taken on a golf trip in Arizona...

And a random Golf Holes Calendar for 2005...

In the office, my partner has one of those Successories posters with a sunset picture of one of the Wailea courses...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 07:33:27 PM by Ryan Simper »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 07:33:15 PM »
at home in my living room I have paintings of Royal Dornoch, the 9th at Royal County Down, Ben Hogan and Donald Ross. Hanging in my bedroom is a hat from the 1999 US Open autographed by my favorite player, Corey Pavin.  At work on my computer desktop is the aerial of NGLA.  
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 07:37:59 PM »
John,

Is it my bizarre imagination, but doesn't MacDonald look eerily like Adolph Hitler?  

Bob

Donnie Beck

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 07:40:44 PM »
At home I have a great panoramic of Shinnecock. At work I have a great routing of Fishers colored my Gil Hanse.

johnk

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 07:42:20 PM »
Bob,

I've noticed that before, but I don't think Hitler played...

I also have no idea if the poster is a repro of an actual travel poster...

johnk

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 07:44:35 PM »
An aerial photo of my home Club.

An 'antique' (recent knock-up) of a scottish style links player, set up to promote beers, whisky etc (ie 19th hole stuff).

Various antique ceramics, including whisky jugs, picture plates.

Obviously, the aerial photo gets the most viewing ;D
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 07:46:30 PM »
John,

He didn't. Have you noticed that most of the monsters in world history did not play golf. Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot etc.,etc.

What a wonderful world it would be if we could get the Mugabes and Mbutus of this world to take up the game. All would be sweetness and light.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2005, 08:19:24 PM »
My wife was nice enough to let us turn our library/study into a bit of a sports memorabilia haven which includes:

Ben Hogan shot at Merion
2 ball racks
collection of bag tags
autographed Tiger photo
replica poster for a British Railways advertising St Andrews
a golf print called The Golf Swing Progression
framed Tiger Sports Illustrated
Collection of Nike golf ball tins celebrating Tigers 4 consecutive majors
old leather bag with a hickory club in it
not on the wall, but loads of golf related books/magazines

Ton of other non-golf related stuff--the room is the definitely the favorite of most guys who come over.

Evan_Green

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2005, 08:25:05 PM »
WFW #10 ...I could never get sick of looking at it!

T_MacWood

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2005, 08:33:31 PM »
"And over in the corner I have this dumb looking bean bag clown that's an effigy of Tom MacWood I throw things at every now and again and the cat claws and pisses on regularly!"

Nice kitty.

I've always wondered why I wake up in the middle of night sneezing and reeking of Sauvignon Blanc.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2005, 08:35:21 PM »
Hey Jamie, when you play competitive golf at PVGC in any kinda club event certainly including the Crump it's all about plates pal! And don't you dare let anyone eat off of them either! Every plate has a hole painted on it and it's got to be like the ultimate ringer deal---if you ever collect a plate for every hole on the course you're gonna die a happy man and be a pretty damn fine energizer-bunny golfer too! And if you happen to do that over your lifetime as a non-member the deal has to be that the club makes every member of your family for the rest of time an honorary member with no dues! Play hard pal!  :)

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2005, 08:48:54 PM »
"Nice kitty.
I've always wondered why I wake up in the middle of night sneezing and reeking of Sauvignon Blanc."

Look Tom, you don't know me but I'm a pretty nice guy despite the fact I ask you some tough questions about some of the bullshit conclusions you float on here. But no one has ever said the same thing about my cat. Actually the little SOB is not mine, he's my wife's----I try not to have anything to do with him. My wife calls him Christopher but I call him The Misanthrope! When she goes to work in the morning and the little misanthrope and I are left in the house together there's no telling what might occur but we do try to stay out of each other's way. He's a racist, an anti-semite, a jingoist and he defintely doesn't like the idea of no-responsibility architectural purist either. The latter is the only thing the little fuzz-nuts and I might have some common ground on. I'll talk to him about that but I doubt it'll do you any good!

BTW, I've never had any Suavignon Blanc in my life, and I hope I never do. Maybe that's what your problem is!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:50:21 PM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2005, 08:50:58 PM »
On my office walls I have the same copy of the Flynn field routing map for Shinnecock as Tom Paul, I have a photo of the 8th at Troon and the 17th at Sand Hills; a routing map of Muirfield, Dornoch, Nairn, St. Andrews, Troon, Prestwick, Sand Hills, Pine Valley and 1930 Merion.  I also have a framed collection of 150 or so ball markers.

The prize possession is the 1951 game bat my father-in-law used in the All Star game in Detroit.  He was lead-off hitter for the winning National League and went 2-4, had 2 stolen bases and scored 2 runs His leaping grab robbed Vic Wertz of a homerun to dead centerfield. They didn't have game MVP back then, but it was a heck of a game he played and its a heck of a beautiful bat.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 08:51:19 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back