News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Mark Brown

Sage Valley
« on: March 09, 2005, 05:24:08 PM »
A lot of Fazio followers have raved about Sage Valley, in SC not far from Augusta. I didn't see it in the Top 100. Was it because not enough raters played it?

Have any of you played it. If so what's it like?

Dale_McCallon

Re:Sage Valley
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 05:27:08 PM »
There was a discussion about this course just a few weeks ago--sorry I can't find the exact link, but use the search engine on here and you should be able to find the info fairly easily.

Mark Brown

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 06:09:34 PM »
Sorry, I missed the discussion. Just ignore my post.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:34:31 AM »
My understanding of Sage Valley from others who've played it is that it is possibly the most over-hyped, under-delivered of all of Tom Fazio's 200 Top 20 courses.  

I've not been there but I don't think the course is suffering from a lack of visits by raters.  I just believe that the attempt to create another pristine, ultra-private, ultra-chic Augusta National Golf Club is a case of "been there, done that", starting with Shoal Creek, etc.  

Mark Brown

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 05:38:46 PM »
Thanks Mike. Sounds familiar.

jim_lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 05:51:02 PM »
I have not played the course, and it is my impression that very few raters or participants on this site have. I know that it did not fare too well in the GD best new private rankings when it opened. Frankly, I have not seen enough comments on this course to judge it to be "over-hyped". It certainly qualifies as  high-end and very private. They do not welcome unaccompanied raters. Perhaps, just perhaps, they are smarting from the disappointing ranking by GD, especially since another SC course, The Club at Briar's Creek, won Best New Private instead of them.
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

CharlestonBuckeye

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2005, 10:09:06 AM »
As a GW rater, I inquired and was denied access.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2005, 02:58:30 PM »
Mike - I have to disagree with your "over-hyped" comment concerning Sage Valley. Hyped by whom? The club produces NO HYPE whatsoever. Sage Valley does no advertising, no self-promotion, and goes out of its way to stay out of the limelight. As you say, they are "ultra-private" (maybe to a fault), but it is their club and they can operate it in any manner in which they choose.

Almost everything anyone has ever heard or read about Sage Valley has come from guests who have played there. These guests have obviously been very impressed with their experience if it has generated the kind of buzz that one might consider "hype."

You said, "My understanding of Sage Valley from others who've played it is that it is possibly the most over-hyped, under-delivered of all of Tom Fazio's 200 Top 20 courses." I live in SC and have talked with numerous people who have played Sage Valley. The comments I hear are exactly the opposite of what you report.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back