News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Park

USGA qualifying sites
« on: March 02, 2005, 04:48:21 PM »
The USGA has released qualifying sites for the mens', ladies' and senior open.  Several quality or at least well known courses are on the list.

Mens- Holston Hills; Southern Highlands; Wannamoissett; Double Eagle and Old Memorial
Ladies-Champions
Senior-Cascades and Colleton River Dye

I really like all of these courses- haven't played Wanna but look forward to that course some day.  Southern Highland is nice but is mostly Las Vegas eye-candy.

Scott

Sam Sikes

Re:USGA qualifying sites
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 02:03:33 PM »
Scott, also Engineers.  Also, Sharks Tooth in Panama City is worth checking out.  It has some excellent holes, and wonderful green complexes.  Plus, I think 75 made it through last year.
 :)
sam

Scott_Park

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 02:20:07 PM »
I didn't mean to imply that I was attempting to qualify for the Open.  Heck, I run the risk of getting the "letter" at the amateur qualifiers.  

I just find it interesting to see where the USGA holds its qualifiers as it sometimes allows access to some very private courses.  For example, The Honors course and Camargo have been recent sites for the Am.

Scott

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 02:51:50 PM »
Qualifying sites for USGA championships are acquired by the local association or committee member who is listed as being in charge of the event.  There are very specific requirements these days for qualifiers which tends to shrink the number of possible sites.

There are definitely some strong sites for the Open this year.

Sam Sikes

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 03:04:42 PM »
Should I see Wannamoisett or Engineers?

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 03:38:19 PM »
Go to the USGA website and find the entry blanks for the championships.  The qualifying sites are listed on them.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 05:13:32 PM »
Here is a link to the .pdf form complete with the local qualifying sites.

http://www.usga.org/championships/apply_to_play/forms/USOpen.pdf

james soper

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 09:32:18 AM »
old memorial will be a firm test. great routing, excellent bunkering, and alot of options around the greens.

Sam Sikes

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 10:51:51 AM »
I thought Old Mo was great except for the last 3 holes, although im willing to give 18 a pass.  I remember stepping up on 16 tee and thinking "what the f***".  It is still the tightest tee shot I can remember, with shmang on both sides.  My caddie already had my 2 iron out, but i decided my chances were no better and said "give me the f***ing lumber"  I was almost the opposite of nervous at that point (probably for the first time in my life) and was actually able to "f*** it"  Anyway, smashed driver down the middle and hit 6 iron on to the front of the green, but it didn't stay, and I subsequently made 6.  That green is borderline silly, or it was the day i played.  Ill never forget that tee shot though. 8)

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »
They are having a US Amateur qualifier at Kernwood, in Salem, MA.   It's listed on www.golfocurse.com as a Donald Ross design from 1914, maxing out at 6351 yards.

Does anybody know anything about it?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 01:56:33 PM »
Hey Martin,

I finally had the fortune to play Kernwood last year for the first time, and liked what i saw.  For me, it brought a great many of the issues concerning restoration and the evolution of a Ross course into play.  There were several places where the trees are downright claustrophobic, and newer ones seem to have been planted, so the end of this trend seems to be nowhere in sight.  Despite this fact, the course is short, quirky, beautiful, and fun, attributes that make it the quintessential Northeastern Ross design in my opinion.

There are several holes that play along the Danvers River (empties into Beverly Harbor, not Boston Harbor, like it has been written before) that are beautiful and interesting, including the short par fours #6 and #7.  #3 is a medium par four with a very cool green with a foot-tall mound in the center just big enough for a pin location.   #8 is the most maddening hole, a 345-yd par 4 with a blind tee shot where hooked 5-iron is the best play from the tee.  #9 was featured in Ross' Golf Has Never Failed Me, but the hole is a bland short par 3.  The back nine is bigger, with some longer and tougher holes, but another quirky hole comes into play at #17, a short par 3 so drastically uphill the top of the pin can barely be seen.

I think the scores will be low during US Am qualifying, as the course is short enough that it can be had even if the player is not very familiar with the layout.  The greens will be running very fast, which will put some teeth in some of the more sloping greens.

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike McGuire

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 11:02:01 PM »
USGA Mid Am quali 2005

Milwaukee CC  #47   Charles Allison 1929

amazingly the first golf course i ever saw. Hitch hiked there to caddy when i was  11-14 years old. Great track but similar to a lot of classics in this area (Bluemound (Raynor) comes to mind) ... a bit of a tree museum. Seems like at MCC they won't even trim the trees. Kinda spookey ..like the Adams family front yard.

Mike

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back