News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Walton Heath New (photo tour)
« on: February 22, 2005, 02:04:26 PM »
The New course at Walton Heath started out as nine holes, laid out by Herbert Fowler in 1907, three years after the opening of the Old. He added an additional nine in1913 to complete today’s layout. The green member’s tees at 6271 yards are little changed from the original layout. As with the Old, significant lengthening has occurred; the back tees measure 7026 yards. The course was surely built to provide a less demanding test than its’ sister course the Old; however it is one of the few multicourse layouts (i.e., Ballybunion, Saunton) where I’ve not wondered during the round, “why am I wasting my time here when I could be on the Old Course”. The makeup is unorthodox with 3 par 5’s, 3 par 3’s and 3 driveable par 4’s.  There are many fine holes to be enjoyed and the firm conditions really bring the ground game into play.

The 1st plays as a 286 yard par 4 from all sets of tees, as there is no room to push the teeing ground back; the road separating the clubhouse and Old Course 1st is right behind it. The green is angled from 10 to 4 o’clock and a hard draw off the tee could find the golfer putting for eagle. This is from the 4 o'clock angle.

The 2cnd is a beautiful par3 at 147 yards.

The par 4 3rd plays 425 yards and pinches in the landing area at 257 yard from the tips; the green is long and narrow.

The 4th plays 319 from the tips, 238 from the member’s tees; another great chance for an early birdie.

The 5th is a cunning par 4 at 460 yards. The hole bends to the right with a cluster of bunkers off the tee at 210 yards the golfers needs to stay left, as the green opens up best from that angle.

Here is one of the great hand made features found at Walton Heath. The small mound has surely made the golfer contemplate what shot will work; a putt will surely race 10 feet by the hole. There is ample grass under the ball to hit the L wedge, but even if that is landed perfectly at the top of the mound it will race well by. The author chose a 7 iron into the bank of the mound; the most rewarding up and down of the days 36 holes. Proof the great golf comes from attention to detail and not massive earthmoving!

The par 3 6th is bunkered strongly to the right and plays 171 yards.

The 7th features the ever present cross bunker 50 yards short of the green, and plays 389 yards.

The 3 par 5’s are all within reach of 2 well struck shots. The fairway ends on the 8th, 287 yards off the tee with hummocks. The hole measures 516 yards.

Here’s a shot of the green complex.

The 9th is a stern par 4 at 468 yards. The fairway ends at 280 yards off the tee, leaving every golfer with at least 200 yards in; very democratic.

The 10th plays 202 yards from the tips, just 150 from the member’s tees.

The 11th is a dogleg left measuring 421 yards.

Here’s the second shot into the green.

The 12th is a brute at 485 yards straight away; 223 to clear the bunker off the tee.

Here’s a look at the green.

The par 5 13th offers another great chance for birdie at 506 yards. There is real pressure to hit this sliver of fairway. The bunker is 323 yards from the back tee.

The 14th is one of the finest holes at Walton Heath. The par 4 measures 412 yards and is S-shaped, bending left off the tee down a slope, and then right to the green. The golfer has to carefully place his tee shot; anything left will end up in this sea of heather.

Here’s closer look at the green.

The 15th plays slightly uphill at 413 yards.

The 16th is the last par 5, even at 581 yards it plays down wind and can be reached in two. This is the view from the go zone.

The 17th plays only 310 yards and is within reach. It plays 396 from the tips. The lay of the land encourages a draw, which must avoid the unique landform which guards the right entrance.

Here’s a look from the right of the green.

The 18th is a 429 yard par 4 and is used as the finishing hole for prestigious events in place of the Old’s which runs parallel to it.

The green has a cross bunker like the Old’s 18th, but the double tiered green has more interest.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 06:37:58 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Top100Guru

Re:Walton Heath New (photo tour)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 02:09:07 PM »
Awesome pics.........Thanks for sharing!!!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2005, 02:12:02 PM »
These brought back memories - it's years since I played the New - lots of fun holes as well as the big challenges.  Thank you.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 02:19:31 PM »
Pete,
That is a great tour, I appreciate the work.

Does the New Course have many things that make it distinct? If it does not, is that why is compares favourably?

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 02:28:53 PM »
Ben,

I think what makes the New so enjoyable is that it doesn't try to be better or different than the Old; just a scaled down version. The Old is definetly a "Championship Course", the New is the type of place where you could enjoy a round with your wife or grandad (dogs in tow of course).
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 02:43:45 PM »
magic pictures Pete,
I have not played there since the gold vase in about 1986, and so it brought bacl fond memories of a great place to spend a day or two.
It is such an underated venue, I speak for both courses on that front, they are amongst the finest inland golf venues in teh UK..right up there with Woodhall Spa.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 02:47:34 PM »
For those who have not played the New, do not be fooled into thinking it is an easy golf course.
The Gold Vase mentioned above used to be one of Britains finest events for amateurs, and we played one course on saturday and the other on sunday..the difference in scores between the two courses were never  that significant..the odd shot maybe but not much more than that.
I know I never shot better on the new than the old in about 5 attempts.

Richard Pennell

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 03:47:10 PM »
Thanks Pete - great photos again. The ones of the Old course last week inspired me to get back up to Walton Heath, first to walk the Old, then last Friday to play the New. It was the second time I've played it and the 14th ruined a decent card for the second time - I just can't get comfortable aiming the semi-blind tee-shot far enough left, and ended up hacking down the right and losing a ball in the process. I was thinking about a post to discuss 'bogey' holes, as the 14th has not left my mind since, I can't wait for another chance to tackle it! It would be interesting to hear what holes repeatedly trouble some of the other golfers on here.
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Richard Pennell

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2005, 03:48:17 PM »
And another thing! My strokesaver mentions that the Ryder Cup 18 was a composite, with a couple of New holes in the mix. Does anyone know which 18 were used?
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2005, 03:54:53 PM »
I do not think they used the first hole on the old at all, you know that short driveable par four and the course opened up with the second on the old.
They did the same thing for the inaugral European Open thatwas held at Walton Heath.
I cannot remember the rest of the lay out though.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 12:07:33 PM »
bump

T_MacWood

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2005, 12:33:32 PM »
Pete
Absolutely fabulous. I have visions of old Herb Fowler wandering down those fairways with Lloyd George and George Riddell...the course looks to be in mint condition.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 02:53:19 PM »
Composite Course

As far as I can tell from Peter Dobereiner's account of it:

1. 2nd Old
2. 4th Old played from a tee behind 3rd green Old as a par 5
3. 5th Old
4. 6th Old
5. 7th Old
6. 8th Old
7. 9th Old
8. 10th Old
9. 11th Old
10. 12th Old
11. 13th Old
12. 12th New
13. 13th New
14. 14th Old played as a par 4
15. 15th Old
16. 16th Old played as a par 4
17. 17th Old
18. 18th New

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back