News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Re:Broadcasting critiques.......
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2005, 11:15:46 AM »
Tom Huckaby,

It is amusing that the Man. United boys are complaining about Chelsea's cornucopia of Russian money. For years they were the richest club in the country and acted like a bunch of school bullies. Their tussle with Arsenal a couple of nights ago was some brilliant football, interupted by some of the ugliest fouls I have seen in the top class game. Both teams acted like spiteful children on the schoolground.

For forty-nine games Arsenal were the best team in the land, led by Henry. Man. U. are making a comeback, but without question Chelsea are the team of the year.

Alex Feruson is a boor, Wenger a whiner and Maurinho the class of the lot.

By the way another Man U.'s record was broken lasst night. Peter Czeck the Chelsea goalkeeper has allowed a goal in 781 minutes beating Peter Schmeikle's old record of 694 minutes.

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2005, 11:20:19 AM »
Now THAT is what I wanted.  Thank you, Bob.

I guess I'll give up on trying to pick a team to favor.  I'm gathering this kinda has to be in one's blood...

;D

BTW, I think I mentioned this before, but EA Sports makes a fantastic soccer game for Xbox, gamecube, etc.  All of these clubs are on it.  I do darn well taking Arsenal, thank you very much. ManU serves me quite well also, but Henry is very hard to stop when we go head to head and the computer has him instead of me. Sadly I have yet to try Chelsea - I will rectify that this evening and wreak havoc on my son's favorite AC Milan.  In any case, what small knowledge I have of who does what for each team truly comes primarily from playing this game.

TH

« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:22:15 AM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2005, 11:29:08 AM »
Come on, Huck - we all know you watch the Spanish channel for the honeys, not the soccer. :)

Verdict on the wrist?

----

I probably rip announcers too much, as they are definitely in a tough position. But a little restraint would go a long way - not from criticism, just from everything.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:31:22 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2005, 11:29:54 AM »
Come on, Huck - we all know you watch the Spanish channel for the honeys, not the soccer. :)

Oh heck yeah... man does not live by soccer alone... I say also as a proud Cinemax subscriber....

;D

Re my injury... the good news is I got my cast removed... the bad news is I now have a splint to wear.  Get CT done next week, see doctor week after that, at that time we see what's what.  The injury feels fine to me, I have normal atrophy to work out but the fracture area itself has no pain... Doctor is being cautious.  Only thing that can stop me from normalcy now is if CT scan reveals no healing at all, then we might have surgery.  The next day of reckoning is Feb 15.

TH
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:32:17 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2005, 11:34:29 AM »
Bob,
You are being unfair, I was man enough to even mention all you said about us being the bully on the block...now as a Chelski fan you need to be man enough to agree with what I wrote.
As I said, we were the money bags..but as a Plc..all that I am saying..is that you guys do not have anybody to account to, that makes a huge difference.
I dont think any United fans are complaining about that, because we know it will not last forever, and surely at some point you have to develop your own talent......
In fact..UEFA ANNOUNCED TODAY...that staring in 2006 there will be a limit on the numbers of non home raides players you will be able to use..leading up to 2008 when you will have to have I think 7 of your "own" players.

The BBC Sport web site went on to say under the 2006 guidlines, Ajax, Chelsea  and one other would not qualify...interesting developments.

Of course what will happen, is that the big clubs will spraed thier nets even wider and bring in overseas talent at younger ages, so that they fit the criteria...well actually, I think there is anothe UEFA rule that forbids that..Hmmm
we will have to wait and follow that one.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2005, 11:36:17 AM »
ManU it is.

Tom Huckaby (said in THAT tone your mother used to use when you'd been really naughty...)

Rescind this ludicrous ManU affiliation immediately OR Send me my Cap back forthwith.

Yours
FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2005, 11:38:44 AM »
Martin,
I got in there first, so leave the good man alone!!!
What's ya teem?

THuckaby2

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2005, 11:41:32 AM »
Martin:

Not to worry.  Michael's words are persuasive, and as a yank watching this from afar ManU just seems to get the most pub, so I know more about them.... and also as I say, my friends' devotion to Arsenal makes me want to root for ManU just to spite them....

But I remembered that Mr. Huntley favors Chelsea... so figured there must be great worth there....

Then more importantly I realized that one kinda has to be born to one side or another, and it's silly for me to try to "adopt" any.

So in terms of allegiance, I guess I'll stick to two teams I can definitely have an affinity for:

The beloved San Jose Earthquakes, in our fledgling MLS; and
The squabbling over money US National team.

You can't fault me for either of those, can you?  Cuz I REALLY like that cap....

;D

TH

ps - when leaving Glasgow last time over, I was faced with all sorts of football gear... wanted to buy some for my kids... I bought them Rangers shirts and got Celtic for myself.  Sounds suicidal?  Well... I am Catholic and my wife is Presyterian... so you can guess how the kids go...   ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 11:45:09 AM by Tom Huckaby »

ForkaB

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2005, 11:43:01 AM »
Fat

The Huckster is so Man U it's scary"!  Of course, I am too--the only top team in England with any lasting class.  I give Mourhino 2 years max before he starts losing and goes mental, like Wenger.  Gee, ain't futbol fun!!!!....

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 11:44:06 AM »
Michael,
brought up as a Central Scotland Protestant, at first you'd imagine there would only be ONE possibility, wouldn't you?

BUT

As I despise EVERYTHING the 'Gers and the 'Tic represent, I prefer to place my allegiance with the (currently) pathetic Chicago Bears!!!

There is, of course, only one real team a GCA afficionado SHOULD support. Which, I hear you ask? The nearest Pro Team to St Andrews of course!!

http://www.eastfife.org/

;D
FBD
PS Extra points awarded for knowing the website theme tune...

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2005, 11:46:24 AM »
Gentlemen,
You will never know how much joy this thread is bringing to this Englishman living in Arkansas..thanks

But Huck..you betray me for a gd cap!!!
There goes yout ticket to the Theatre of Dreams.

THuckaby2

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2005, 11:47:05 AM »
Now THAT is a team one can rally behind - East Fife!

The tune is lost on me, sadly.  But I just woke up a bunch of my co-workers!

;D

ForkaB

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2005, 11:47:37 AM »
Not to niggle, Martin, but aren't either of the two Dundee teams closer to TOC than East Fife?

I support Cowdenbeath, myself, even though my inlaws don't particularly like that fact that they are the "Blue Brazil".......

THuckaby2

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
Gentlemen,
You will never know how much joy this thread is bringing to this Englishman living in Arkansas..thanks

But Huck..you betray me for a gd cap!!!
There goes yout ticket to the Theatre of Dreams.

My apologies, Michael.  It's no disrespect to you, just realizing that I really can't take any side here with any great feeling.  Dammit I wish I could...

Theatre of Dreams... love it!

TH

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2005, 11:49:01 AM »
Martin, I reconnise the tune from somewhere...I am sure it is from the TV
The old granstand or MOTD thehes perhaps?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2005, 11:53:08 AM »
Not to niggle, Martin, but aren't either of the two Dundee teams closer to TOC than East Fife?

Geographically, maybe, but not Spiritually, Master.... ;)

FBD.

Martin, I reconnise the tune from somewhere...I am sure it is from the TV
The old granstand or MOTD thehes perhaps?

Michael,
Not a TV theme (I don't think) and circa 1963(ish)

FBD

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2005, 11:58:39 AM »
Rich,

Man U.'s best player by far is is Giggs, Keane second and a petulant teenager, Rooney third. The latter should have received a red card Tuesday for effing off the referee and sundry other offenses. Keane is a certified assassin, having written in his book that he deliberately broke another players leg with malice aforethought.

Giggs is a brilliant player but the team will not give him a contract for more than one year because he is thirty years old. That may well be a corporate decision, or as Michael states, the PLC is concerned with fiscal prudence. Having paid forty million big ones for a teenager and letting your best player depart for lack of a decent contract, would have most shareholders starting a proxy fight to dump the leaders.

Your team will get puddle along but until you get a goalkeeper without butter fingers the cupboard will remain bare.

Mike Benham

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2005, 11:58:46 AM »
So much to comment on ...

Oh heck yeah... man does not live by soccer alone... I say also as a proud Cinemax subscriber....

Hmmm ... perhaps you have stumbled on the reason why attendance at SCU basketball wanes on certain nights  ;) (for those interested, TH can pickup the East Coast "late night skin-e-max" feeds relatively early in the evening here in CA ...)

Re my injury... the good news is I got my cast removed... the bad news is I now have a splint to wear.  Get CT done next week, see doctor week after that, at that time we see what's what.  The injury feels fine to me, I have normal atrophy to work out but the fracture area itself has no pain... Doctor is being cautious.  

Tom - I was expecting a Terrell Owens type of statement from you today, that "God" has cleared you to return to action.  And for those interested in Super Bowl XXXVIXXVI, Terrell Owens was operated on by the same doctor who performed/misdiagnosed Grant Hill's first foot injury ...  :o
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2005, 12:04:04 PM »
The tune is lost on me, sadly.  But I just woke up a bunch of my co-workers!

It is either Dick Dale or The Ventures and I will go with the Ventures for now until I get home a pull a few CD's out of the rack ..

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2005, 12:06:55 PM »
Martin, I have been singing that damn tune for what seems like hours now..I think I know the artist..The Shaddows..the name of the sone...Apache maybe...I just remeber that tall dude with the huge specs on

THuckaby2

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2005, 12:07:36 PM »
Mike:

One of the joys of satellite TV for this early riser and thus early going-to-bedder is the fact we get east coast feed of Cinemax.  Of course, this does make things dangerous re the kids in the house also.  V-chip, anyone?

And God did clear me to remove the damn splint and go putt yesterday.  Interesting.. wrist atrophy meant any movement of it caused immediate pain... kind of an effective putting trainer, wouldn't you say?

;D

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2005, 12:12:50 PM »
Actaully Bob, Giggs' contract does not run out for 2 more years at which point he will be 33...so that is quite old to offer an extra 2 years to at this time.
It is an extention he wants now.
I actually say do it, but I fear in two years time, that awesome speed that led to United's third on Tuesday will be gone...and without speed in the Premiership you are nothing.

Keane is just the best assassin or not, I do not think there is a fan of any team alive, who would not have him in thier team..would you agree?

I agree with the goalkeeping theme, that is probably the single biggest differenec between your bunch and mine

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2005, 12:19:36 PM »
Not even close, Mr Benham!
(Were you the stoopid American who mistook the Saltire for the SWEDISH flag??? Hmmmm????) ;D

FBD.

PS I know 'twasn't.

PPS Michael: Getting warmer but not Cliff's boys and be careful with that drill!!! Definitely 1962...

Mike Benham

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2005, 12:27:44 PM »
Not even close, Mr Benham!
(Were you the stoopid American who mistook the Saltire for the SWEDISH flag??? Hmmmm????) ;D

Hey -  it is somewhere in my surf guitar collection ... The Sting Rays, the Halibuts (he he), the Aqua Velvets ...

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2005, 12:30:50 PM »
Did the Halibuts get into the music Biz 'Just for the Halibut'?

1962 is a clue - the title of the tune commemorates something that happened that year...

FBD.

PS I was only 1 and a half. It was in my m(u)m's collection...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back