News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff_Mingay

"Wilson, Flynn Inc., Golf Course Architects"
« on: January 30, 2005, 10:25:13 PM »
Tom Paul and Wayne Morrison:

I don't intend to give away a potentially interesting section of your forthcoming book, but... how much information do you guys have regarding the potential formation of "Wilson, Flynn Inc., Golf Course Architects"?

This is another of those intriguing "mysteries" in the history of golf course architecture. I mean, what was on the verge of occurring before Wilson became deathly ill?

Just curious,
jeffmingay.com

TEPaul

Re:"Wilson, Flynn Inc., Golf Course Architects"
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 10:49:27 PM »
Jeff:

Nothing much we've seen so far that can be actually documented. So far, that's just a "story". The fact is they definitely worked together on a number of projects with Wilson probably just acting in a loose or sort of informal "advisory or "consutling" way, obviously through the teens and early 1920s--but again, experimental agronomy and developing methods of disseminating agronomic experiences and efficiencies seemed to basically be what Wilson was concentrating on before he died rather suddenly at 45 in 1925.

wsmorrison

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 07:09:36 AM »
The relationship between Wilson and Flynn was described by C.V. Piper as "foster father" and son.  The projects we've identified where they were documented as working together include Merion, Kittansett, Seaview and Marble Hall.   They had a long and constructive working relationship at Merion and more than likely shared a common design philosophy.  It seems reasonable that they would've continued working together had not Wilson succumbed to illness.  Yet, more than likely Wilson would not have relinquished his amateur status in doing so.  I have to look at the timeline when this was an issue--Tom Paul knows it far better than I.  

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 08:14:45 AM »
It seems by the very early 1920s the R&A and USGA had decided that being a professional architect did not violate one's amateur playing status and apparently all the architects who's amateur status had been affected by that prohibition beginning in the early teens had their amateur status restored. Wilson was always considered to be the purist of the "amateur" architects. Whether he would've taken fees if he actually went into a design partnership with Flynn was never expressed (that I know of). Perhaps he would've just felt the same as Macdonald who despite the exempting of professional architects from the amateur status rule still felt he should never take any fee in any way related to golf.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 08:16:07 AM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 11:02:38 AM »
I spoke with William Flynn's daughter this morning and she recalls very clearly that her mother said that Hugh Wilson intended to go into a partnership with William Flynn.  Wilson's constant health problems and early death prevented this from ever ocurring.  Mrs. Lagerman recalls Hugh Wilson and his wife very well.  He was a "very kind and giving man" from the outset upon Flynn's arrival to Merion.  Wilson and Flynn developed a very close personal relationship.

When her older brother was born, Wilson gave the Flynn family a dog.  While Flynn was doing work on the Haverford course (she wasn't sure if this was before or after the East Course opened) Wilson gave Flynn's mother a horse and buggy to visit him during the day.

The club that would've hired Wilson and Flynn would not only be hiring two of the best architectural minds in America but the foremost turf grass experts in the world.

It is pretty clear to Tom and I that the lessons learned and practiced at Merion and Pine Valley had a marked influence on Flynn's design philosophy going forward and can be seen in this subsequent work.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:03:35 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 11:12:22 AM »
This is great stuff, this is what this website is all about..fantastic historic stuff...thanks fellas..this is better than watching The Godfather!!!

I cannot wait for the book to come out, if it contains info like this.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:13:15 AM by Michael Wharton-Palmer »

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »
Wayne:

You've got to explain in detail what Connie told you about her father referring to himself as the "Nature-Faker". Coolest purist architectural term I've heard in a long, long time.

John D Rockerfeller Jr to William Flynn:

"Why sir, do you consider yourself better than any other architect and consequently why should we hire you over some other architect?

William Flynn to John D. Rockerfeller Jr:

"Because, you pompous ass with your head in the clouds and your hand in some accounting book, I AM THE KING of the golf architectural NATURE-FAKERS!!!!!"

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 11:18:43 AM »
Listen Wayne, I don't know that I'm all that crazy about the title you picked for this Flynn book anyway and now I'm absolutely, positively 110% sure what we should call it.

William S. Flynn
      the
NATURE-FAKER

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »
This may even be some hidden reason why our boy William Flynn never realized a long and fruitful life and his hugely potential golf architecture career was cut short in 1945 at the age of 55, not allowing him to go head to head with RTJ in the early "Modern Age of Golf Architecture" and make mince-meat out of him---and thereby change the path of golf architecture for the better forever! Our boy William was trying to FAKE OUT MOTHER NATURE, and we all know that's not a great idea in the long run!!!

Does this explain why Alister MacKenzie died in a pathetic existence begging ANGC for pennies on the dollar? Why Tillinghast was cast into virtual obscurity in some run-down antique shot on the Left Coast---why Crump committed suicide at the peak of his accomplishment in 1918 at 46---why Hugh Wilson suddenly felt like a "boiled owl" at 45 and expired practically the next day, why Harry Colt ended up entering contests for growing peas, and why the great conceptual genius of them all, George Thomas, chucked architecture completely and went back to growing roses?

I think we're damn straight onto something really significant here. Call up Tom MacWood and see if he agrees!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:45:04 AM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 11:43:41 AM »
Wayne:

I'll tell you right now, this revelation by Connie about her father referring to himself as the NATURE FAKER has made me REconsider my entire golf architecture philosophy in the last hour alone!

I don't want to die--not yet anyway---and certainly not a tragic death.

From now on the highly engineered style of Seth Raynor and Steamshovel Banks is my all-time "Golden Age" favorite. Muirhead and his last bizarre "Pyschological Symbolic" era is my new hero---I completely endore Rees and Tom Fazio is the greatest architect who ever lived in my opinion---Shadow Creek is the greatest course ever built.

Break out the armies of D-8s and let them have at a zillion square yards of any plot of earth! Do not try to FAKE OUT MOTHER NATURE----just level and reform the beejeesus out of her---every single opportunity you get!

And lastly, I'm sorry I was ever endorsed purist architecture NATURE FAKING, cuz I don't wanna die!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2005, 11:46:32 AM by TEPaul »

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 11:44:51 AM »
While talking to Connie Lagerman (Flynn's daughter) about the Cascades Golf Course at the Homestead.  We talked pleasantries about his love for the resort and that they returned yearly to vacation and Flynn would make changes over the years.  We got onto the subject of the engineering report that proves that Flynn made terrific use of the natural land but there were some obstacles (including a 300 yard limestone ridge and redirecting the aptly named Swift Run stream for some incredible distances) that the numerous man made features were made to look real.  Connie said that her father was "The Nature Faker."  I asked her where that term came from because it was such a great way to put it.  She said that's what her father referred to himself at times.

Flynn was a terrific router and used the natural lay of the land very well.  When he was forced to move things around and create landforms and golf ground--he'd literally move mountains and rivers, he would make sure that the result looked natural.  Anyone interested in this theme should visit the Cascades and Indian Creek (not so easy to see).  He really was The Nature Faker!

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 10:40:49 PM »
The Cascades! Wow!
I thought they just built tees and greens and routed through the land as they found it.No minimalism? I am truly amazed.The greatest mountain course on earth! Thanks for the education,Wayne.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2005, 07:45:02 PM »
Yancy, you old dog, how've you been pal?

You see there, Flynn faked you out into thinking he just used the land as is on that mountainous Cascades course. His daughter, Connie, was right, William Flynn was the ultimate "Nature Faker". He faked out even YOU!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back