News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Alfie

Re:Club Histories - A GCA.com Library
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2005, 03:19:50 PM »
forget the Aberdeenshire link. But Rhod McEwan can be e-mailed at teeoff@rhodmcewan.com.
website was ; www.rhodmcewan.com   ?

Gene Greco

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2005, 04:27:29 PM »
Just purchased the History of Royal Melbourne from Rhod McEwan and have purchased others from him in the past.

(Have also purchased club histories from Grant Books).

There are usually pages of club histories for sale in the catalogues I receive from each.

I have the following:

Crystal Downs (pamphlet)
Southampton Golf Club (pamphlet)
Machrahanish (pamphlet)
Winged Foot
Colonial
Pine Valley (3), 1963, 1982 and Finnegan's recent one
Cypress Point (2) The club should just make Geoff S's official
Merion
Fisher's Island
St. Andrews (There are MANY)
Muirfield
Royal Dornoch
Augusta National (Cliff Roberts)
Maidstone
Pasatiempo
Shinnecock
Royal Portrush
Royal County Down
Royal Aberdeen
East Lake
Cruden Bay
Garden City
Royal Melbourne
Riviera
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Steve Lapper

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2005, 07:00:51 PM »
Gene,

The RMGC Centenary History by Joseph Johnson is a wonderful tome on Royal Melbourne and well recommended as a worthy addition.

Now you have an idea why I think so highly of that place.

S ;)
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Gene Greco

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2005, 08:50:34 PM »
Steve:

That's the one I have from Royal Melbourne.

Fact is your love for RM was the deciding factor in my recent purchase of the book - Ben Dewar and my good friend Dean Sivara have both stated in the past that RM is in their top 5 worldwide.

The three of you have keen eyes and are fair in your assessments of ALL golf courses and have all swooned when there is mention of RM.

Gene  
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Peter_Herreid

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2005, 11:16:02 PM »
Wannamoisett has a club history in acknowledgement of its 100th anniversary (1898-1998).  Fun book with some nice pictures, but certainly not geared to the architecture afficianado...

Available from the club as of 10/2004.

Peter

wsmorrison

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2005, 07:01:42 AM »
I just ordered the two Wollaston GC (MA) history books from Grant Books.  One is a history of the old course that William Flynn grew up on caddying and competing in schoolboy events against Ouimet and others.  The other Wollaston GC book is a 75 year history of the club (1895-1970) including their new course.  It will be interesting to see if any of the holes on the original course inspired designs by Flynn.

wsmorrison

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2005, 11:32:23 AM »
Sean,
I'll ask Mr. Finegan.  of anyone in the US, he's sure to know.

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2005, 11:54:11 AM »
A history of Olympia Fields was published as part of its 75th anniversary in 1990.  I do not think it is sold in the proshop, though I have a copy and can probably obtain a few more.    There is also an unpublished work that was written a few years earlier, and which has more info on the four original courses and the membership of decades past.  I don't think the club would object to copying it.

Jeff Goldman

ps.  After I originally posted, I went back and looked at the published history, which has significantly more historical  information than I recalled.  It is a club history with some additional puffery.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2005, 09:03:17 PM by Jeff Goldman »
That was one hellacious beaver.

Gene Greco

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2005, 12:12:33 PM »
Patrick,

The Crystal Downs, Machrahanish and Southampton booklets (not pamphlets as I had written before) are club histories and should be listed as such.

A few years ago at a Golf Collectors society meeting I asked the ultimate source, Dick Donovan, an individual who along with Joe Murdoch literally wrote the book listing EVERY book ever written about golf, whether or not these were classified as club histories or not and he answered in the affirmative.

Gene  

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2005, 12:23:56 PM »
Two that aren't on the list that I have:

Burning Tree Club
Caves Valley Golf Club

I will check on the authors and publication dates.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2005, 01:43:28 PM »
Anyone interested in Riviera's history book can feel free to IM me as we have at least 15 books to sell.  We probably have more but this is just a conservative number I'm throwing out there.  The cost is $60 + tax + $7.50 shipping.  Basically, you're looking at about $73 for the book or somewhere near that.  Anyway, let me know if you want one.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2005, 01:55:48 PM »
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Sea Island Golf Club has a book called At the End of the Oaks, the Official History of the Sea Island Golf Club by Gary Galyean (http://www.golfstock.net)

That Web site also offers a book about Ocean Forest.

wsmorrison

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2005, 03:01:32 PM »
Sean,
I just spoke with Pennard's biggest American fan and he is not aware of any club history on Pennard.  In fact, in his extensive collection of UK club histories, the only ones from Wales he has is Porthcawl and Aberdovey.  If you do end up finding one (the secretary of the club is who I would call), please let me know so that I might tell Mr. Finegan.
Best,
Wayne

NAF

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »
David Dobby has done a 100 year quasi history book on Deal.. It is a terrific unique book with great handdrawn pictures and poems.  David is also doing a complete history of Deal I expect that will be done late 2005 or early 2006.

peter_mcknight

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2005, 07:05:08 PM »
Saucon Valley CC has one in the clubhouse for purchase (there was an updated version reissued sometime in the 1980s last time I checked.  I would think they would have updated to include the 1992 and 2000 senior opens).

Jim_Bick

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2005, 08:11:08 PM »
Ardsley CC, Ardsley-on-Hudson, NY From Hudson to Hilltop 1895-1995. Lot of interesting detail about the original routing and development of the most expensive course in America at the time. Willie Dunn was the original architect and first professional.

Jason Tetterton

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2005, 07:09:07 AM »
Charlotte CC put one out a few years ago.  More into the forming of the club than on the Ross design.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2005, 08:09:59 AM »
Southern Hills has put out two versions of theirs.  I have the most updated at home.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2005, 08:23:23 PM »
I just updated the Home page of my web site with a short blurb on the new St. George's (Toronto) history, including contact info. for those interested in purchasing a copy.
jeffmingay.com

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2005, 09:19:41 PM »
The Breezy Links o’Troon
A HISTORY of ROYAL TROON GOLF CLUB
by Robert A. Crampsey    

Published by Royal Troon Golf Club
        December 2001 (224 Pages)
        ISBN No. 0-9541542-0-7

How to Order a Copy

Copies of the History of Royal Troon Golf Club can only be ordered from the Club. The History is available in a case bound version priced at £25. There are also a few copies available of the limited edition leather bound version at £100. Payment can be made by cheque, in pounds sterling, or by credit card.

Post and packaging by Recorded Delivery costs an additional £7.50 within the UK, £18.50 to the USA and Canada, and £12.50 to Europe. Post and packaging costs to other destinations are available on request. Delivery will be within 28 days from receipt of order.

A completed postal order form and cheque for the full amount made payable to Royal Troon Golf Club, should be sent to the following address: -

Club History
Royal Troon Golf Club
Craigend Road
Troon
Ayrshire KA10 6EP
Scotland.

E-mail enquiries to: - history@royaltroon.com

peter_p

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2005, 09:52:32 PM »
Grant Books is just out with 'The DefinitiveGuide to Woodhall Spa" by Latham. From this description it really delves into the course and its derivations http://www.grantbooks.co.uk/beta/shop/bkmonth.php

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2005, 10:28:57 PM »
Capilano G & CC
"Hathstauwk" by Eric Whitehead (1981)

Available at the Capilano pro shop.

TK

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2005, 10:48:44 PM »
See the updated list on the initial post

Brian Phillips

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2005, 03:31:42 AM »

A History of The Royal Dornoch Golf Club - Macleod 2000
The Story of Augusta National Golf Club - Clifford Roberts 1976
A Century of Golf At Woodhall Spa - Marjorie Sargeant 2000
A Century of Golf At Cruden Bay - 1998
Pine Valley , A Chronicle 1982
Pine Valley - Finegan 2000
Muirfield and The Honourable Company - Pottinger 1972

Brian Phillips
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bill Gayne

« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2005, 09:47:13 PM »
See attached link for an interesting NGLA book. This auction probably has some pretty good bidding to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=37755&item=5161392950&rd=1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back