News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Keith Durrant

Re:Would you rather:Bandon or England
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2005, 07:20:21 AM »
Pulborough is a possibility, although it's more than an hour each way from the Berkshire/Surrey border (and further from Heathrow).

What about the Berkshire - a Fowler design - how does this compare to Swinley? Isnt it round the corner?

Keith

Buck Wolter

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2005, 08:07:40 AM »
Brian-
I think the whole thing's pretty funny but it sure seems like he said a few things that go beyond even Monty might say -- enough it cost him his Titleist contract.

Here's a quote from his Golf Channel interview:
Q.: One of the articles written in your adopted hometown of Scottsdale, Arizona, made reference to the fact that you live in America; you love in America, you have an American girlfriend; and you learn in America, you attended ASU; yet you can say these things freely about American reputations. Please put into context what you meant about Americans in general.  

PAUL CASEY: Again, it's something that is sort of dragging, I'm going to drag out the sort of stuff I don't want to drag up here. I think, you know, I said these things and a lot of them I didn't say and I can't take them back. They were off-the-cuff remarks. It's very, very difficult. I will stand by a couple of things. I do think sometimes the Americans can be a little insular. However, it's nitpicking, it really is. I wouldn't – the States is difficult to live in. I'm a European player. I predominantly played on the European Tour and next year I'll be playing a little bit more in the States. However, it's not the easiest place for me to live. I do it out of choice. I played three full seasons at Arizona State. I was there for four years. And I was there predominantly there to forward my golf career. That's why I came over. And I absolutely loved it. It has given me fantastic opportunities. It still does.

This is a wonderful country. I'm sure a lot of Americans have said, you know, silly things about the UK. You know, the food's terrible, whatever it may be, the weather sucks. And if that's really the sort of – it was general sort of bar chit-chat. And a lot of those things you know, maybe they're true, maybe they're not. They were views, they're opinions, I have a lot of opinions, unfortunately, that's just the way I am. I like to speak my mind. I certainly don't hold a grudge against anybody who likes to speak their mind and if they have a different opinion to me, that's great. I don't hold grudges against them. This is a wonderful country that has freedom of speech. And unfortunately that got me into trouble.  

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Andy Hughes

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2005, 08:29:53 AM »
In the good olde days, no self-respecting golfer would play golf if the chance for willow on leather was available.  Why do you think that the President's Putter and the Halford Hewitt are played in the winter months?
Rich, I was just reading yesterday about an Open at St Andrews soon after the First World War.  Wethered was very near the lead after 3 rounds, but was keen to play in some big cricket match (cricket game?) in London the next day and requested a much-earlier tee time. His request was granted, which apparently infuriated some pros.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2005, 11:08:36 PM »
Buck
Paul Casey carried Nike clubs several times in his bag during last season . Dropped ? , I dont think so .

But isnt it a shame in todays pc world , that no one can say anything the least bit controversial without a ballyhoo .

What a bland world , pro. golf lives in nowadays .

I wonder how todays press would treat all Ben Hogans complaining after and during every visit to the UK ? .

I chuckle when I hear comments that Paul Casey will be jeered and heckled on his next visit to the USA . It reminds me of Tom Lehman at the Dunhill Cup the week after his disgraceful actions at Brookline . I was standing right behind him that morning at the Old Course , when he got the silent treatment after being introduced . Classy and far more effective than any boorish jeering and booing .

Sorry for being OT.
Brian

« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 11:09:33 PM by Brian_Ewen »

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2005, 10:31:08 AM »
Eric:

I'm glad you added in the "east coast" qualifier.  Because here on the west coast, well... the travel costs go the opposite way (I can get a LOT cheaper flight to Bandon than to London, and I can even drive if I wish) and TIME also is an issue... that is, I can leave my house in the early am and tee it up at Bandon on the same afternoon... best I can hope for going to London is a red-eye and then playing.

So there is more to this than cost, and it does depend on geography.

From the east coast, I'd say you're right - go to England - but damn, take more time and stay awhile!

Here on the west coast, well... I am doing a long weekend to Bandon later on this year, and feel great about it (though I too am perturbed at how costs have risen).  No way I'd ever fly to England for just 3 days.  Just too much time in the air for not enough time on the ground, you know?

TH

RE Blanks

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2005, 10:58:41 AM »
Huckaby - regarding the time issue.  From the east coast to Portland the flight is around 5 hours.  From ATL the total duration is 5:24. After arriving, the car trip is between 3 - 4 hours.  So about 9 hours of travel time.  
The flight from ATL to Gatwick is 7:35.  So from the east coast the travel time is about the same.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2005, 11:11:54 AM »
Eric - understood - that's why I said that for you east coasters, hell yes, if a choice has to be made go to England. Although... going west you do realize you GAIN time re the time zones... so it's not quite as clear as you make it... but still, it seems to me that England remains the better choice.

In any case for me on the west coast, time is a big issue.  Same time zone, too.  ;D

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2005, 11:42:23 AM »
The more I read these posts, the more I am concerned about some of the poster's ability to tell time as well as add and subtract. Huck is right about the west coast and it about a draw from new orleans with a slight edge to going west time and money wise. However I care alot more about going to the UK each year than Bandon which i do love alot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back