News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club
« on: December 31, 2004, 01:22:46 AM »
Anybody know who is getting this job ? .

Gloag's plan to build £20m golf club in her back garden

JOHN ROSS

ONE of Scotland’s richest women is heading a consortium that plans to create an exclusive golf and country club in the grounds of her Highland castle estate.

The £20 million plan for Beaufort Castle, near Beauly, which is owned by Stagecoach millionairess Ann Gloag, would create a rival for the luxury Skibo Castle in Sutherland and provide a huge international tourism boost for the area.

It was revealed yesterday that an outline planning application has been lodged with Highland Council to establish Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club on 399 acres of land at the Kiltarlity end of the estate.

A report by independent consultants predicts the development will create the equivalent of 51 full-time jobs, and possibly a further 180 in the long term.

Mrs Gloag bought the castle and 19,500-acre estate from the family of the late Lord Lovat for around £1.3 million in 1995. She is heading a consortium known as Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club Ltd which also includes the Inverness-based Tulloch plc and Perthshire property developers King.

The castle will remain her private residence and she will retain the remaining 97 per cent of the estate which lies on the north side of the river.

It is predicted that the planned 6,551-yard championship golf course, with a par of 71, will be of a quality to attract golfers from around the world. The design will use the existing contours of the land, which course architects feel is of such a quality as not to require any major remodelling.

The country club will be situated at the heart of the course, close to the ninth green and tenth tee, and will be focused on the existing Home Farm, a listed building, which will be converted into a clubhouse, restaurant, bar, cafe, swimming pool, spa, steam room, gym and beauty-care facility. It will also have nine guest suites.

There will be 82 luxury guest lodges, some for purchase and some for timeshare, built in the woodland. The final phase of the development will be a hotel capable of hosting conferences and seminars.

Mrs Gloag said: "We think this can bring visitors from all over the world to the area and be a great stimulus to the economy of Kiltarlity and Beauly in particular but also to the Highlands as a whole, as these golf visitors will want to spend time in other parts of the region.

"I have been made very welcome since making my home in this area and I think this development will help put something back in to the community.

"The consultants are projecting an annual off-site visitor spend of £1.5 million in shops, restaurants, visitor attractions, etc," she added.

"Along with the 231 full-time jobs identified in the study, the complex has the capacity to be of great social and economic benefit locally."

She said the plan includes an area set aside for the future housing expansion of the village of Kiltarlity, including lower-cost housing.

It is hoped that work will begin on site next autumn, with the golf course taking two years to establish. The clubhouse and country club will open at the same time, with the guest lodges introduced in phases of 20 a year.

"This is an ambitious development not being driven by people from outwith the area, but by Highland and Scottish input and investment and we’re rather proud of that," continued Mrs Gloag.

David Sutherland, the chairman of Tulloch plc, said the Beaufort club will be run on a membership basis similar to the Carnegie Club at Skibo Castle and will be a significant new asset to Scotland.

However, he added: "Despite its exclusive nature, we are keen to make an arrangement by which local people can gain access to the course on a pay-and-play basis, which is not the case at other members-only clubs in the country."

Mrs Gloag bought the 23-bedroom castle and contents nine years ago, amid reports that debts of £7 million forced the Lovat Frasers to put the local landmark and surrounding land on the market.

Last year, the young chief of the Lovat Fraser clan told The Scotsman of his burning ambition to rebuild the historic family estate and reclaim its ancestral seat.

Simon Fraser, the 25th chief, said that one day, he wants to buy back Beaufort Castle, which was the Lovat's base for more than 500 years until 1995.

Mrs Gloag’s new plans appear to have the backing of local residents.

Hamish Maclennan, the chairman of Kiltarlity Community Council, said: "This has been rumoured for some time but we have not seen the details yet.

"But I think people will generally be happy about it as it will bring more people into the area and create a bit of employment. It can only do some good for the parish."

Graham Smith, the customer service manager for the Highlands of Scotland Tourist Board, said golf is a key element of the national tourism strategy and added: "These types of developments have pretty much all been successful so we would welcome such a proposal which would be within striking distance of Inverness.

"It’s difficult to see a downside from a tourism perspective."

http://news.scotsman.com/scotland.cfm?id=1477352004
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 12:50:54 AM by Brian_Ewen »

Tom_Doak

Re:Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 09:46:31 AM »
Haven't heard anything about that one.

I have heard of Beauly, but can't remember where it is.  Does anyone here know?

ForkaB

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 10:30:48 AM »
Tom

Beauly is just north of Inverness, along the road one used to have to take to Dornoch, before they built the bridges in the 1980's.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 11:57:02 AM »
Rich<

I understand that Nairn might be the driest place in Scotland, what about this area?

Bob

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 12:58:44 PM »
Bob

I don't know for sure, but I'd bet it gets a lot more rain than Nairn.  In general, the further west and inland you go in the North of Scotland, the wetter it gets.

PS--I looked at a map and Beauly (pronounced Booleigh) is actually due west of Inverness.  It just felt north when I had to drive through it!

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2004, 01:21:14 PM »
Brian-

In what newspaper did this article appear?

If this project actually happens and Mark Parsinen's course near the Inverness Airport (Kingsbarns II) comes to pass, the Highlands (Narin to Dornoch), becomes a REAL golf destination. At one point, there was also talk of building a second course at Skibo, but I don't know the status of that since Skibo changed hands.  

I don't imagine the weather in Beauly is materially different than either Inverness, Dornoch or Nairn.

DT

ForkaB

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2004, 01:57:02 PM »
David

There already is a 2nd course at Skibo.  It's called Monks Walk or something like that.  Parkland.  You can see it on the drive from the Castle to the 1st course.  I haven't played it, but from those who have, it's nothing to write home about.  There is some talk of a 3rd course.....

The article is from today's Scotsman, I think.

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 02:07:30 PM »
Rich-

Is the 2nd course you are referring to 9 or 18 holes? How old is it?

I remember reading articles in the local press in 2000/01 about DeSavary wanting to build another course at Skibo and trying to acquire nearby farmland to do so. Ultimately, I do think he got permission to acquire the land and build another course, but I don't think any construction progress was made on the project due to Skibo changing hands.

That is what I was referring to in my prior post.

DT    

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 02:24:19 PM »
David

The course is 9 holes, fairly short and with a set of par 3 tees too.  It was built by De Savary (Donald Steel).  As for land for new courses, the Skibo estate extends to well over 5,000 acres.  I don't think they need to buy any more land. ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2004, 02:49:20 PM »
Rich-

As I recall, it was not a case of DeSavary/Skibo actually purchasing new land, but more a case of land use and getting the right to displace the family that had been farming/crofting this piece of land for multiple generations.

As I am sure you are well aware, that is a sensitive subject in Scotland. Lorne Rubenstein actually briefly mentions the controversy caused by DeSavary's actions in his book on Dornoch, as he was there in the summer of 2000.

I am pretty sure the Monk's Walk course is separate from the second full 18 that DeSavary was planning for Skibo. With him now out of the picture, it may never get built.

DT

ForkaB

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2004, 02:56:54 PM »
You're probably right, David, about the land.  As for a new course, I think it is far more likely without De Savary around.  He was always playing with other people's money, whilst the new ownership is really and truly loaded.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2005, 12:49:52 AM »
WEISKOPF ON COURSE FOR £20M GLOAG GOLF COMPLEX
Ambitious plan for estate
By Magnus Gardham

FORMER Open champion Tom Weiskopf is being lined up to design the course for a proposed £20million Highland golf resort.

Bosses planning the Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club have turned to him to put the development on the golfing map.

The club would be built on 399 acres of the vast Beaufort Castle estate, in Inverness-shire, owned by Stagecoach bus tycoon Ann Gloag.

The consortium behind the scheme have applied for outline planning permission from Highland Council.

They believe Weiskopf, now one of the world's top golf designers, can repeat the success of his stunning course at Loch Lomond.

Facilities The 6551-yard, par 71 course would be at the heart of the ambitious development, set to rival luxury Skibo Castle in Sutherland.

There would be 82 guest lodges built in woodland around the course. And the complex would also include a hotel with conference facilities.

The scheme would create up to 231 full time jobs and draw millions of pounds into the Highland economy from tourism.

The consortium behind the scheme is led by Ann Gloag and also includes Inverness builder Tulloch and Perthshire property developers King.

The course would be built within sight of her home, the imposing 23-bedroom Beaufort Castle. However, the castle and the rest of the 19,500 acre estate that goes with it will be untouched.

The group hope to start work next autumn, and the course and clubhouse would then open in 2007.

Ann Gloag said: 'We think this can bring visitors from all over the world to the area.

'I have been made very welcome since making my home in this area and I think this development will help put something back into the community.

'I have ensured that the plan includes an area set aside for the future housing expansion of the village of Kiltarlity.

'This will include an element of lower-cost housing, for which there is local need.'

The country club will be members-only but there will be pay-as-you-play access to the course.

Ann Gloag is one Scotland's richest women. She founded Stagecoach with her brother, Brian Souter, in 1980 and the Perth firm are valued at £1.1billion.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15029372&method=full&siteid=89488&headline=weiskopf-on-course-for--pound-20m-gloag-golf-complex-name_page.html

David_Tepper

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 07:48:14 PM »
Brian-

Thanks for posting these articles.

Does anyone know if this is the first course Weiskopf will be doing in the UK since Loch Lomond? In light of how well Loch Lomond has been received, it is a little surprising there has not been more work for him in the UK. I wonder if he has been offered work there over the past few years but has turned it down. It would be interesting to see what the site looks like now.

DT  

David_Tepper

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 12:33:40 PM »
The current issue on the Northern Times website has an article about this project. The article mentions a similar project in the planning stage at Aldourie Castle near Dores, which is south of Inverness near Loch Ness.

Anyone know anything about this one?  

Niall Hay

Re: Beaufort Castle Golf and Country Club
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
Whatever happened here?

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 05:24:37 PM »
Niall -

I recall reading 2 or 3 years ago (maybe longer) that Ms. Gloag was denied planning permission to develop the property and build the golf course.

I imagine the economic slump of 2008-09 dampened her enthusiasm for the project as well.

DT

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »
DT

I think you'll also find that her development partners aren't quite as well equipped to do the development as they once were.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
I have heard nothing about this so suspect it is a no go.

Jon

Niall Hay

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 03:54:09 PM »
DT

I think you'll also find that her development partners aren't quite as well equipped to do the development as they once were.

Niall

Which partners?

Niall C

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2013, 05:14:57 PM »
Niall

The article mentions Tulloch and King. Without wishing to say anything specific about them, and I could as I've had dealings with David Sutherland of Tulloch who's mentioned in the article, let me just say that many developers have either gone out business or are struggling since the credit crunch. Even those that are still afloat are finding development finance scarce.

If you want any more comment than that I'm afraid we'd have to take it off-line  :-X

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back