News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Green to Tee transitions and routing quality???
« on: December 23, 2004, 08:03:25 PM »
After reading the topics "Difficult Walk " and Vintage Routing" I was reminded of an element of classic architecture that has been all but eliminated in most modern golf routings.  That is the element of green to tee transition.  In many instances the "personality of the routing/course is defined as much by the area from the just played green to the next tee as much as it is by the individual holes.  To me it is the element of architecture that makes the individuals holes into a whole.  Routing a golf course is much easier when green to tee transition can be removed due to carts etc.  I consider it one of the missing elements of modern architecture.  Can a golf course be great without good green to tee transition?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Green to Tee transitions and routing quality???
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 08:22:32 PM »
Mike,

I agree completely. I think about green to tee transitions a lot.

My home course at Essex G&CC (D. Ross, 1929) has wonderful green to tee transitions throughout. In fact, this is one of the principal attributes that separates Essex from its sister course at Roseland (D. Ross, 1926), also in Windsor, Ontario.

Roseland was constructed by a contractor that had not done golf course work before. And it seems Ross, Hatch or McGovern weren't around much while the course was being constructed. In turn, Roseland's features are comparatively abrupt. Greens, tees, and bunkers "pop" out of the ground and don't tie in very well.

At Essex on the other hand, the shaping of the green complexes melds into the next tee, which at most holes is mere steps from the putting surface. It appears the shaping of the green complex and the shaping of the next tee where not carried out as separate operations.

In fact, the entire landscape at Essex is "flowing". For the most part, tie ins carry throughout the property beautifully. I attribute this to the fact that course construction was supervised by John Gray, the club's long-time greenkeeper who had previously worked in Michigan at projects designed by Colt & Alison and Willie Park, Jr., and also remodeled Essex' original course under the direction of Ernest Way (a one-time Ross associate).

I'm rambling... quickly back to the point though, I also feel green to tee transitions are very important.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 08:24:55 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Mark Brown

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 09:18:39 PM »
Mike,

I don't think so. It goes without saying that golf carts  totally disrupt the golf experience and take out the element of good exercise and fresh air.

But aside from carts, green to tee walks have a major impact on the flow of the course and the enjoyment of the natural beauty and views (both short and long). Such things as long walks (particularly uphill), road crossings, people and noise, unsightly debris, colliding with the group in front and in back of you can be disruptive, unsettling and cause a loss of concentration -- resulting in poor play. "A walk in the park" can go along way in enabling us to forget the kids, past due bills and the lethargic economy and state of the game.

There are also courses where the greens and tees are too close to each other and conversations and the sounds of  walking feet can be a distraction.

In the same way, short to medium walks with beautiful natural scenery help you enjoy and appreciate your round of golf and the camaraderie with your playing parnters. You can also walk off the frustration of a bad hole (which is one of the major positives of walking, along with developing a feel for the course, distances and depth perception.)

There's a lot to be said for being in the zone and not being interupted by the rush of everyday life -- particularly cell phones, which I don't allow people to bring (because I'm usualy the one setting up the free golf.)

When your mind and body are both engaged in enjoyment for 4 hours everything your problems just drift away and that's what pure golf is all about. The first place I thing of is Cypress Point or Sand Hills, or most any links across the pond.

All the Best, Mark

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 11:50:53 PM »

There are also courses where the greens and tees are too close to each other and conversations and the sounds of  walking feet can be a distraction.

I know you are new here but please don't polute this site with such a load of crap....you could tee off of a green and it wouldn't be too close.   My parents say you were over at their house the other day....funny world don't you think..
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 11:52:34 PM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 12:22:20 AM »
Mike,
If I can step right off a green and tee it up for the very next hole then that's great, but what if the very next hole sucks?
But what if the very next hole was a great one if it was located 150 yds away from that green, and there were a few more walks like that on the course? ?
Would a potentially great course ever get to be called that if it sacrifices vg/great holes to build average ones for the sake of intimacy?

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 07:19:34 AM »
"I know you are new here but please don't polute this site with such a load of crap....you could tee off of a green and it wouldn't be too close.  My parents say you were over at their house the other day....funny world don't you think.. "

Mark Brown:

Don't mind John B---he thinks he's our resident curmudgeon!  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 07:31:06 AM »
MikeY;

I completely agree with you about the simple beauty of the old fashioned tight green to tee routings and how that tends to make a course seem like more of a "whole" then just 18 individual entities.

I tend to look at this type of thing in an evolutionary sense, though, and there's no question carts killed this feature as somewhat of a necessity in the old days of walking golf. So obviously did increased liability problems and the whole idea of separation and avoidance of noise and distraction.

It's sort of ironic that an architect who may've completely popularized "individualizing" golf holes as being virtually separated from each other visually---George Crump---also demanded at his one and only course, PVGC, that the green to tee space be remarkably tight. Crump had he lived, intended to reposition his #11 green on the hillside next to the tower and also next to the 12th tee and had he done that PVGC would probably have had the tightest green to tee total distance of any course in the world. If he'd lived the total green to tee distance on the entire 18 holes would have totaled probably not much more than 100 yards!!

The good news is a few architects today are beginning to do really tight green to tee distance on some holes---in some cases to even meld greens and tees. Examples are Gil Hanse and Coore and Crenshaw.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 07:32:58 AM by TEPaul »

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2004, 07:45:13 AM »
The good news is a few architects today are beginning to do really tight green to tee distance on some holes---in some cases to even meld greens and tees. Examples are Gil Hanse and Coore and Crenshaw.

TEPaul,

This is something that interests me. Do you have specifics on where this is utilized? Perhaps you have some photos that could be posted?

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 07:55:33 AM »
Applebrook (Hanse) is a very good modern example of seamless tee-green transitions.

Mike_Young

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2004, 08:27:47 AM »
Jim Kennedy,
I understand your point but IMHO finding 18 holes on a property and then tying them together with long walks etc is not the same as finding 18 holes that flow. I think that aspect of design has been overlooked in recent years; sometimes due to housing etc.  I think there are many intances of mediocre holes that don't seem as mediocre because of the "flow" of the routing.  I think most all great golf courses are viewed and considered as a "whole" and not as 18 individual "HOLES".  How many times have you seen a series of really good holes yet you don't care for the course because of the distance between holes?  IMHO there are probably 100 holes on a given site but finding the routing that lets one look at the whole intead of the holes is the difficult part. Just my opinion.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2004, 08:34:42 AM »
Mike Y.,

I continue to agree with you wholeheartedly.

Joe H.,

There's a great green to tee "meld" at holes 6 and 7 at Friar's Head.

And, I can say without any bias  ;D, the "meld" between 10 green and the back tee at 11 at Blackhawk GC is pretty neat too.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 08:36:32 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2004, 08:37:06 AM »
Mike Young,

Doesn't much of the green to tee walk depend on the topography ?

The green to tee relationship, or lack of, seems almost solely dependent upon topograhpy and useage (residential rather then golf).  Flat sites accomodate this relationship far more than hilly sites or sites interupted by unusual features/constraints.

Would anyone fault Tillinghast at Somerset Hills for his siting of the 12th green and the 13th tee ?

At Bandon Dunes, does the relationship between the 3rd green to 4th tee and the 8th green to 9th tee indicate a failure to properly route the golf course on a flat portion of the land ?

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2004, 09:05:35 AM »
Pat,
I agree that it depends on the topography.  And not all green to tee transitions will be as tight as one would prefer because of topography but don't you think one just sort of "feels it" and accepts it when the exceptions are placed correctly?  I don't know Somerset Hills nor Bandon Dunes but I do think in most cases the tighter and more "knit" the green to tee transitions the more "soul" a golf course conveys.  Hope thats not too mushy.
Merry Christmas,
Mike

Dan King

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 09:13:17 AM »
I hate long walks between greens and tees, but if I have to make them I want there to be a reward for my effort. The hike from No. 8 to No. 9 at Cruden Bay is one of the nastier hikes in golf, but when you get to the top you get a wonderful view of the Port Ellen coast.

The hike from No. 6 to No. 7 at Dornoch isn't as tough as Cruden Bay but still it gets this old, fat guy's heart pumping. But I still remember the first time I played there. I was by myself, my first morning in the Highlands. I teed off at 4:30 is the morning and got to No. 7 at around 5ish. The sun was rising over the North Sea through some beautiful clouds and I figured I'd found where the golf gods hang out. I love making that hike every time because I am reminded of that first time. The hike is also a transistion because you are changing direction, with No. 7 now headed toward the sea.

I think Pacific Dunes' hikes work okay because they are in transistional spots on the course.

The problem with walks between holes now is there is no reward for the effort. It's just more of the same.

Dan King
If some hole does not possess striking individuality through some gift of nature, it must be given as much as possible artificially, and the artifice must be introduced in so subtle a manner as to make it seem natural.
 --A.W. Tillinghast

Mark Brown

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 09:38:02 AM »
John,

You're wrong on both counts. And who the heck are you.

Coal in the stocking for you.

Lighten up it's my opinion and it's Christmas.

Mark Brown

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2004, 09:48:57 AM »
TEPaul,

Yes. Tis a  funny world -- as far as I know I'm entitled to my opinions.

I wasn't suggesting long walks, but I happen to like a walk of 50 to 100 feet. I can soak in the scenery and the fresh air or gather myself after a bad hole.

Thanks for the note & Merry Christmas

Mark

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2004, 09:50:43 AM »
Someone criticized Jasper Pk's routing and I believe it was in relation to the transition from #7 to #8. It's where there is a snack bar, and restrooms, but I thought the area had an intamcy about it. Plus, while having to wait, on #8's teeing ground, for those who needed to use the facilities,  I was giddy over the variety of look, and that was just the teeing ground.

Wild Horse is one of those modern courses with only one longish walk. 9 to 10.
Lee's Lawsonia south nine had some of the longest ever.
Victoria Nat'l had an intamacy about it, as long as you don't golf the way back tees.

One of my pet peeves are teeing grounds uphill, after a hole that goes downhill.i.e. Pinon's #13-14

Pete's ridiculous transition to the 11th at Carmel Valley is the end of the spectrum

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2004, 10:03:52 AM »
This is one of my favorite pics from out North Carolina trip. The 3rd green and the 4th tee at Mid Pines.

The way it should be if you ask me.

JakaB

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2004, 10:25:29 AM »
John,

You're wrong on both counts. And who the heck are you.

Coal in the stocking for you.

Lighten up it's my opinion and it's Christmas.

Mark,

My brother married one of the Passov sisters....I was telling my Mom yesterday about some nut that started Links Magazine that heard footsteps on his backswing and she said he was over at their house in Vero the other day...must have been some other guy who started Links...or maybe not..
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 10:50:26 AM by John B. Kavanaugh »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2004, 10:35:56 AM »
Mike Young,

Hasn't the legal climate in the US made architects more cautious when designing greens and the next, nearby tee.

Mark Brown,

17 to 33 paces is but a short stroll.

The walks at Pacific Dunes are far, far longer.

Mark Brown

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2004, 10:40:15 AM »
John,

I'm a little confused. Are you talking about Joe Passov who was editor of LINKS for awhile and now lives in Scottsdale, AZ, and is still one of my best friends and favorite writers?

I did start and develop LINKS (what a crazy journey when I look back.) I was lucky it worked out. But ignorance is bliss. I had a great time traveling for 7 years. I've lived in the Hilton Head area for 23 years.

Either way, Merry Christmas,
Mark Brown

Tom_Doak

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2004, 05:22:37 PM »
I would agree that green-to-tee transitions are an important element of a great course.  But you don't always choose the routing with the most proximate greens and tees ... sometimes you will override this consideration for others, including the quality of golf holes.

At Pacific Dunes there are a couple of long transitions ... 3-4, 11-12, and 12-13.  All three were created by our desire to have one of the holes along the coastline [#4] head south and play downwind, while #11 and #13 headed north into the wind.  We could have made the walks seamless by flip-flopping #4 and #12, but we thought the golf was better the other way, and the walks were not so bad because the scenery was pretty stunning.  I've never lost any sleep over that decision, in fact, I think it's one of the better decisions we made.

The transitions at Bandon Dunes which are often mentioned are likely the result of their modifying the routing during construction, when the land for the 5th green and holes 6-7-8 [plus most of the land which is now Pacific Dunes] became available.  Again, they decided to focus on the advantage of changing directions more frequently ... about the only thing they might have changed to improve it was moving #8 green closer to #3 and to #9 tee.

A course in hilly terrain or big sand dunes will necessarily have some longer walks to make the holes work out well.  On such sites I think there should be some reasonable allowance for this ... but you have to keep the course walkable and not lose the golfer to the distraction of a green-to-tee walk.

Tom Paul:  you haven't seen much of my work yet but you would find good green-to-tee transitions on most of them, and sometimes even the seamless variety which you credit to "Coore and Crenshaw and Gil Hanse."  The first place Gil saw one was probably the 4th tee at High Pointe [which is an extension of the fairway behind the 3rd green]; that was before he headed overseas on his scholarship.  It's not my idea, of course ... St. Andrews has about fifteen of them, and I'm sure other architects can borrow it as ably as me.  But it does take some skill to get both holes to work well in the process.

Mark:  to save JakaB the trouble:  his brother, Ken Kavanaugh, is married to Joe's sister, Lori.

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004, 05:40:44 PM »
"The good news is a few architects today are beginning to do really tight green to tee distance on some holes---in some cases to even meld greens and tees. Examples are Gil Hanse and Coore and Crenshaw."

TomD;

When I mentioned that I meant anyone out there doing it. You're right I mentioned Hanse and Coore and Crenshaw as examples because they're the only ones I've seen do it.  

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2004, 10:06:40 PM »
TE,
I think many try to do it, you just don't hear of all of it.
Tom,
I think what you mention regarding longer walks between holes for the sake of better golf is an element that often is ignored as to the visuals during that walk.  As you say with stunning scenery these walks seem shorter.  But would you not agree that several  of these within a routing are acceptable whereas a majority would not be considered a great  routing.

TEPaul

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2004, 06:00:05 AM »
TomD said;

"But it does take some skill to get both holes to work well in the process."

I couldn't agree more. Getting really tight green to tee situations, particularly melded situations seems to be something to do only if the opportunity presents itself in sort of an obvious way. As TomD implies trying to force something like this in the wrong place can mess up the next hole or even the previous one to some extent and become somewhat of a nuisance forever.

I'll give you my world-class best example and on the #1 course in the world of all places. I pretty much admire everything about PVGC but the tee on #15 in relation to the 14th green as well as how to proceed on #15 has always bothered me. It's the one real glitch I think PVGC has.

It's true that the PVGC members have all come to appreciate what they call the "nature walk" when they leave the 15th tee and I certainly like it too but the fact is that back tee on #15 is an everlasting problem particularly for golfers on #14 tee. Putting netting high up in the trees to protect back #15 is not my idea of a solution.

What happened on #14 green and #15 tee is probably the result of a green/next tee situation, just as Tom Doak mentioned, that was problematic that just never got worked out to best advantage. Why did it never get worked out properly? Probably because just as the problems and solutions were being worked on the architect died. It's a well known remark from Simon Carr that the last words he had with Crump was that he was not satisfied with #15 and was having real problems conceiving of what-all to do with the hole. The irony is the landform of that hole had basically been routed for years but the hole had never been finalized by Crump and the construction of its features and details had not begun! (fellas, the truth is that what Crump did by constructing holes before really finalizing his routing and the entire design of it was one classic example of how to paint yourself into a corner in a design/construction sense!!).

To see why things happened they way they did one has to go back and look at #14, even #13 or #12 and how they evolved after the remainder of the course was done and in play and one begins then to see what problems there can be in finalizing a routing and getting all the details of the individual holes worked out in both a routing and in a single hole sense.

#14 went through a number of planning and design iterations and one of them was one of the coolest looking real "cape” holes you've ever seen, at least on paper. I've looked at it on the ground and it would've played from around the present #14 tee right over the "nature walk" on #15 to a green that would've been right about the beginning of the 15th fairway bordering on the lake. The drawing of it that I've seen (which is in scale) would've been a true cape-type hole of the original NGLA #14 design that would've been about 300 yards if you played to the fairway that would've been where the "nature walk" is today. The other fascinating option would’ve been a hugely heroic carry for someone who wanted to try to fly the ball all the way across water to the green. I measure that carry on the drawing to have been around 240 yards although playing downhill!!

But that incredible "cape" 14th hole at PVGC (frankly, noone is particularly sure if it was a par 3 or a par 4) was never to be! Why? Because, again, Crump died before he completely worked out ALL the solutions in this section (#12-15).

Even more interesting, if the “cape” hole iteration was selected as #14 the tee for #15 would’ve been on the far side of the lake and #15 might’ve been a very long par 4!! But what would that have done to the par of the course? We can see from the record that Crump had entertained the idea of repositioning the green on #16 way back near the railroad tracks and that hole would’ve become the second par 5 on the course!! Interestingly, that explains why #17 was listed on both the Crump and Colt #17 hole drawings as being between 360-380 rather than the 338 yd it is today!

So back to the #14 green and #15 back tee juxtaposition. Again, in my opinion, this is the one real glitch on the course. But now they’re in the process of adding a new back tee to #15 that will ratchet up that already super long “unreachable” to about 635!! And where is that new back tee? It’s behind #14 green or just over and to the right of the small section of the lake behind #14 green. That’s fine and frankly that’s a wonderful new angle on that left to right canting fairway that will create some interesting tee shot variety compared to the regular tee position.

But how are golfers going to get from #14 green to the new back tee and even more interesting how are they going to get from there over to the fairway. I can’t wait to see how they’ll work that out. Somehow golfers will have to walk back by #14 green and over to the bridge to the “nature walk”. This could definitely create an additionally cumbersome situation that will also be an everlasting nuisance!

Or they can look into their age old records and look at a recommendation Hugh Alison made for this hole in his hole by hole recommendation report to the so-called 1921 Advisory Committee that was charged with finalizing the golf course following Crump’s untimely death.

They will see in that Alison report for #15 a recommendation to build a bridge across the pond from the peninsula behind #14 green over to the 15th fairway across the lake. Actually from the peninsula to the fairway is not very far. Why might they not consider that? Probably because they think that would ruin the look and tranquility of the lake. I say bullshit to that---it wouldn’t ruin the look of the lake at all, in my opinion. With a low and attractive wooden bridge they probably wouldn’t even think of the ruination of the look and tranquility of the lake again after a week!! The walk across that low attractive bridge would be an awesome walk too, just as the “nature walk” is, and that way golfers would have a choice and they’d finally be able to solve the one real glitch at PVGC---eg the way too close juxtaposition of the tip tee to the 14th green!!! They could solve that problem by simply using the regular tee and obsoleting that old tip tee (not original) since they now have another tip tee in an entirely different position.  

When TomD said, "But it does take some skill to get both holes to work well in the process",  he wasn’t justa kiddin! #14 green and #15 tip tee PVGC has been testimony to that for about 80 years now. But today, if they think it all through really carefully, they can finally solve that one real glitch at PVGC.

Sorry about the length of this post---just another of my super long ones---but it's an interesting architectural evolution and an interesting story in the context of this thread subject, don't you think?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 06:18:24 AM by TEPaul »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back