News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Thompson

Re:Seeking Ireland trip advice
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 11:25:31 PM »
Thanks to all that have made suggestions.

It looks like part of the itinerary of the trip (Mr. Ian Andrew and his father are coming with me with any luck) will include a Dublin stop, likely to play the K Club as part of a writing assignment. What else do people suggest in the Dublin area? Obviously Portmanock, but what about Royal Dublin? Baltray? The Island?
The plan is to head north, stop at County Down, before heading further north to see Portrush and then fly out of Belfast. Any suggestions aside from Portrush? Anyone played Portstewart?

Thanks in advance -- your suggestions have been appreciated and helpful.

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Eamon Lynch

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2004, 12:41:50 AM »
Robert
Portstewart is just a really fun place to play, and inexpensive as I recall. You should consider the Valley Course at Royal Portrush. Its reputation would be much more stout if it didn't lie next to the Dunluce Links. If you're going north from Dublin it might be worth making a stop in Maynooth, Co. Kildare (okay, a little more northwest than north, but still only about 20-30 mins from Portmarnock) to play the Montgomerie course at Carton House, where the 2005 Irish Open will be played. I was there in August and thought it was an enjoyable if demanding exercise - a bit like dealing with its architect, depending on the day.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2004, 12:44:17 AM »
Yes, I played Portstewart in '03. Highly recommended - front nine particularly. I found Portrush extremely tight and far less forgiving...

Make sure you do RCD twice--and you'll make the trip right there. Not much to say for the rest of the town, but in the neighboring town of Castlewellan (i think) is a very good pub with informal, local music - about 15 minutes from the hotel at RCD.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2004, 09:05:30 AM »
I would very highly recommend The European Club.  This is not based on a comparison of Dublin-area clubs, as this is this the only one I've played in that area.  I played there for the first time in early November, and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

It's an easy drive from Dublin - about 35 miles south along some of Ireland's best roads (Not that that's saying much).  I really enjoyed the setting - very isolated - surrounded by farmland and just a few houses in sight.  It's a very unpretentious club - small membership, simple clubhouse - you get the feeling that it's all about the golf.

The condition of the fairway turf and the greens was fantastic when I played.  They put in an irrigation system in response to losing several fairways to drought a number of years ago, which almost bankrupt the club.  I know irrigation isn't usual for links courses, but it played very links-like to me - fairways were very firm and fast, lots of bounce and roll.

Again, I don't have much to compare it to, but I don't think you could go wrong playing there.  Besides, you've got to support a guy that did exactly what was being suggested in the Lottery thread - buy a great piece of property and build your dream course.  Except Pat Ruddy did it without the benefit of any lottery winnings.

Andy

Andy Doyle

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2004, 02:27:06 PM »
Sean:

This was the first time I've had the opportunity to play authentic links golf - played Lahinch, Waterville, and the European Club.

I really enjoyed my day at the European Club.  There was hardly anyone there, and I had the entire course to myself.  I thought the fairways were great - they were a good bit greener than Lahinch, were soft to walk on, and took a great divot, but the ball bounded and rolled really well.  Too well, in fact in some places - I reached some bunkers I didn't think were possible, and on #12 I hit my drive at least 40 yards farther than I have ever hit a ball.

The greens, too were in very good shape - not too fast, but rolled very true.  The best greens of the 3 I played.  It was a great day on a great course.

Andy

Jack_Marr

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2004, 06:37:59 PM »
I think I've said this before, but if you are a t a lose end after playing the European Club and want to play some links, try Arklow Golf Club. There are some disappointing holes there, especially some that were redone and out of character, but there are some really excellent ones there too. Won't break the bank either.

Maybe not one for a short trip though.
John Marr(inan)

Sean Leary

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2004, 06:48:43 PM »
Old Head is not of the same caliber as the top courses mentioned above, but it is the single most spectacular place, golf or not, I have ever seen....

I believe that it is worth the trip to Kinsale..........

ian

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2004, 09:18:29 PM »
Gents,

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Dad and I are going in September with Robert Thompson and another good friend. We will stick to Dublin and the north-east coast as recommended.

As it turns out to my suprise, my father has played all the famous courses in Ireland 40-50 years ago, so he wasn't concerned with what he was going to play. He has also reminded me that a day in Dublin is a must too.

So now we come to what to play other that Portmaronack, Royal County Down and Royal Portrush. We have thought of Portstewart and the Island Club, but are we missing something, or is there a logically 36 holes (other than the Valley course at Royal Portrush). Don't be affraid to suggest an out and out sleeper in the area too!

Again thanks,

Ian (threadjacker ;D)

Again, I appreciated all the comments because they helped me commit to the trip I should have years before this.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 09:19:22 PM by Ian Andrew »

David_Tepper

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 01:51:41 AM »
Ian-

Other courses to consider would be County Louth (aka Baltray), which is 45 miles or so north of Dublin, and Castlerock, which is on the Causeway Coast west of Portstewart & Portrush.

I have not played Baltray, but I know it is a highly regarded links. I believe they played the Irish Open there this past year. At one time, Baltray had a Dormie House that was an inexpensive place to stay. It may still be available.

In addition to Portstewart and Portush, I have played both Castlerock and the Valley Course at Portrush. They are well worth playing.

DT

Brian Phillips

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2004, 03:03:30 AM »
If anyone does play Baltray they should give Ronan Branigan a call as that is his home course.  I am sure he would be more than willing to have a round with you.

Him and his dad designed the course next door called Seapoint. Ronan has just redesigned the 18th green which I think is a superb design.

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Sean Walsh

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2004, 08:10:38 AM »
If you have the spare time and since it does fall across your route I would heartily recommend Baltray.  If for no other reason than the 14th one of the best short 4's you'll see.

Doesn't have the quirk factor of the island but would sit alongside it in regards to total quality.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2004, 08:33:11 AM »
Sean,

I was just talking to my ex partner in design on the phone about 20 minutes ago and he says there is a par 3 on The Island that he puts in his top 10 of par 3 s in the world.

Is this true?

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

mike_malone

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2004, 08:47:42 AM »
 That might be"Broadmeadow"--200 /- water on right, but I love another one there --on the back, I think. I guess they call it a "volcano" on this site. It just sits out there--170 ish and says "hit me if you can".
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 08:48:29 AM by Mike_Malone »
AKA Mayday

ian

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2004, 05:33:18 PM »
David and Brian,

Baltray with Ronan sounds like a great deal of fun. We will need to see if that can happen.

We are definately playing the Island at my insistance, the combination of that many world class short holes is too good to miss.

Ian

Sean Walsh

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2004, 06:36:56 PM »
Brian,

The two par-3's on the back ninie are both very good.  Neither of them requiring a single bunker.  

13th Broadmeadow - 235yds with a huge green.  Missing right ends in the water.  Left has a little more margin.  Room at the front especially left to run a ball onto the green.

16th Andes - I wouls say this is the one your ex-partner was talking about.  False front and two small dunes short front and long left.  Make this small green apppear daunting from the tee.  Steep fall off from both sides and the back of the green.  Imagine trying to hit a lone picnic table standing in a small field (two small stools nearby).

For an easily reachable hole it seems a tough par.

gookin

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2004, 05:30:43 PM »
With all this expert advise, I need to post the trip I am taking in August with 6 days of golf in the following order:

Doonbeg, Lahinch, Waterville, Ballybunion(Old), Tralee, Ballybunion (Old)

Tee times are early morning except for Waterville (12noon).  Any suggestions for a second loop on some of those days? This is my first trip out of North America for golf. I could not be more excited.

Jason Topp

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »
David - I did the same trip last year. You will have a great time.   I learned of this site when researching the trip.  Many of the courses are profiled here.

Part of our group got there a few days before we got there and said "bring balls" because of the high winds, deep grass and steep golf ball prices.  

I would play a second round on any of the courses.  My order of preference would be as follows (I attached links in case you don't have them already):

1.  Ballybunion Old - http://www.ballybuniongolfclub.ie/

The old course is pretty hard to get on, we played the Cashen course which gets mixed reviews but was fun to play.

2. Lahinch - http://www.lahinchgolf.com/

I have the fondest memories of Lahinch.  They claim to have restored many of the greens to reflect A McKenzie.  Others can tell you if they were successful.  I can tell you I liked the course.

3. Tralee - http://www.traleegolfclub.com/indexm.htm

The 2 nines are very different.  The front is relatively flat and the back very hilly with some severe shots.  On the second hole, the caddie told us to lay up, when we told him we were going to try and cut the corner he said "Aye!  We are not here to play pussy golf are we?"  I should have listened to him.

4.  Waterville - http://www.watervillehouse.com/pages/frameset_home.cfm

This one was incredibly difficult the day we were there.  Very high winds.  It is undergoing pretty significant renovation and they are creating a number of additional dunes on the flatter portion of the property and creating new holes.  

5.  Doonbeg - http://www.doonbeggolfclub.com/

At the time, I did not particulary care for this course.  It seemed forced to me, even though it claims to be a very natural course.  

We played a small course called Dooks for the second round that day.  http://www.dooks.com/.  The course is a bit goofy, particularly the back nine.  According to James Finnegan's book, a different member built each of the nine additional holes.  It was cheaper than the other courses, is at a beautiful location, has a more authentic feel than others and could be a welcome respite from getting beaten up on the other courses

For your perusal, attached are links to the sites of two other courses we played,

Old Head  http://www.oldheadgolflinks.com/ - fantastic setting, expensive

Dromoland Castle http://www.dromoland.ie/golf.htm - we played it on the day our flight got in.  The castle was memorable, the course mixed.  President Bush was about to stay there when we were there so the place was crawling with security.

Don Dinkmeyer

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2004, 09:38:16 PM »
I really second the idea of playing a course TWICE. I did that with Lahinch last year, and it really made a difference the second time around.

Life is short, but the second chance is sometimes worth taking...

Doug Siebert

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2004, 11:09:29 PM »
I second the notion that Lahinch is worth playing twice.  And while you can't play Ballybunion Old twice in the same day, you can play the New afterwards.

Old Head is a bit out of the way, but there's probably still enough light in August for it to be doable on the day you play Tralee.  Connemara is IMHO worth a visit, but logistically really only works after Lahinch (i.e., only if you aren't playing there twice in one day)

One thing you might want to take into account that even though it is August, the weather could still be brutal.  Particularly on the day I played Tralee in late June in 50-60 mph winds, occasional rain and temperatures of perhaps 60 degrees at best, it was difficult getting motivated for our second 18 of the day.  We played Mahoney's Point, which worked out well since: 1) it was a lesser course and I didn't feel about only playing 15 holes, 2) it is very flat and therefore an easy walk, 3) freakishly, it warmed up to nearly 70, with clear skies, no rain and almost no wind, the only time we were without a strong wind all week.  If conditions were anything like what we faced at Tralee, I don't think I would have been up for another 18 at any course, getting an early start on the evening's pints would have sounded better to me and probably a majority of our group of a dozen -- as it was, I think we had 3 or 4 drop out and skip Mahoney's Point that day.

You might want to seek opinions on Dooks, I haven't seen it but some people seem to really like it.  Galway Bay is another possibility, but I wasn't terribly impressed with it when I visited in '96.  There's a course named Ceann Sibeel or something like that which is the westernmost course in Europe, which is closest to Tralee I think.  Don't know anything about it, but it might be worth looking into.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Andy Doyle

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2004, 11:30:19 PM »
David:

I had a trip to Ireland in November and played Lahinch and Waterville.  I echo others' comments - I would definitely play the Old Course at Lahinch a second time.  I think the 2005 replay rate is 30 Euros.  If for some reason you wanted to play a different course, there is another 18 at Lahinch, the Castle course.  I thought the Old Course was wonderful - I would play it again in a second.

I also enjoyed Waterville very much - despite the brutal wind (on 3 holes the flagstick had blown out of the hole).  They had some serious work going on # 8 and 9, but they should be ready by next summer.  Dooks is right between Waterville and Tralee.  I didn't get to play it (timing and weather), but I stopped to look at it because of all the favorable comments.  Sounds like a great place to play.

I would also agree about taking plenty of golf balls.  I managed to make it around Lahinch with the same ball, but lost a number in the wind at Waterville.  Take a water bottle and some food - particularly at Lahinch, which doesn't return to the clubhouse until #18.

AD

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back