News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Aerial Article
« on: November 17, 2004, 12:58:08 PM »
There is a great article in the Nov.19 issue of GolfWeek SuperNews on the use of old aerials to assist clubs interested in their past and in particular to assist restoration work. Craig Disher is featured prominantly in the article (including a good photo in white gloves and with magnifying glass....he appears to be searching for Bin Laden).

There was an interesting quote from Ron Forse, "Historic photography is indispensable. It's the No.1 tool for restoration, even more important than the architects drawings...plans on paper didn't always translate into how the course was actually built." It is a fascinating article.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:09:23 PM by Tom MacWood »

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Aerial Article
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:26:01 PM »
I saw this article yesterday as well.  I hope Craig can keep his ego in check!   ;)

Two other GCAers were used/interviewed for the article:  Steve Sayers on the Lu Lu restoration that Forse did and Mark Fine, listed as a "restoration consultant" or "design consultant" or something to that effect.  I guess with the chemical compnay he runs, consulting on golf courses, and writing that book, that must be why he hasn't been on here lately.   :)

I've been lucky to have met and played with each of these gentlemen at least once, before they became famous.   8)

RJ_Daley

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 10:59:21 PM »
I think that all the year and a half, or more, of work you did Scot, compiling relatively modern aerials in on reference page/thread here on GCA needs to be recognised as well.  

In a few dozen years, those aerials will be used as a marker to perhaps reclaim or redefine what this time periods boundaries, edges, bunker placements and so forth were present before they too will get lost in time.  

In fact, a likely candidate for this could possibly be Cuscowilla.  Do you all think that the edges of greens, surrounds, intermediate rough mowing lines, and all those exquisite bunkers will stay exactly the same over a 25-50 year period? ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 08:09:41 AM »
I'm glad to see that stalwart aerial photography researchers such as Craig Disher (classic) and Scott Burroughs (modern) get the credit they deserve.  Craig's research efforts on our behalf are considerable.  Not only does he find and make available the photographs, but he meets us on site to discuss and analyze the photos with us and has a broad knowledge base of many geographical regions and architects.  He is invaluable to our Flynn book project and we are grateful for his research help and friendship.  I can't wait till he gets back from Pinehurst so he can send me a copy of the article--autographed of course.

Bruce_Dixon

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 09:57:39 AM »
Tom;

I tried finding the article on the golfweek website with no success.  Do you think you could post a link on this thread?

Thanks,

Bruce

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back