News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

30 plus photos added to Chechessee Creek, SC profile
« on: November 17, 2004, 11:37:59 AM »
Since starting the web site five plus years ago, I bet I have received around 1,000 emails of comments/thoughts on courses that someone has just played. Right at the top of that list for sheer passion was a lengthy, well written one from our very own crazed writer outside of San Francisco, Gib Papazian.

I wish I still had it so I could post it here (with his permission of course) but he basically said that he thought Chechessee was nearly the finest modern course that he had seen. Paragraph after paragraph explained his rationale and you could tell that the course had re-energized him and his love for the game.

Ever since that email, I especially looked forward to a return game there. And last Monday, the opportunity came and off I went armed only with my hickories.

First of all, for the 60 of us that played in the Hickory Tournament this past weekend at Mid Pines, Chechessee is a GREAT hickory course. I am just starting to compile a list of the best spots in the US for a game with hickories and Chechessee joins Saint Louis Country Club, Fishers Island, Eastward Ho! and Kingsley on the short list of neatest hickory courses. Watching a hooked Redan iron run for thirty yards down the 18th fairway before running onto the green and settling near a back hole location to halve our afternoon match is a shot/playing condition that I will long remember.

I am still trying to figure out the greens at Chechessee. Many are built up but unlike at Pinehurst No.2 where it is repeated ad nauseam, these green complexes possess superior variety. Knowing where to miss it has to be the art in playing the course and that might take 20 or 120 rounds to figure it out. Take the 13th for instance - as you move the hole around, do you understand where the smart misses become?? I sure don't.

On a side point, a very good friend has played all the Coore & Crenshaw courses several times (save for Austin CC and their new one at Plymouth) and he thinks Chechessee is the hardest of the bunch to shoot near your handicap - and that's without any fear of losing a ball! When told this, Bill Coore had nothing to say/add as he simply doesn't look at it in such a manner. However, like other par 70 courses that measure in the 6,500-6,600 yard range that don't have four par fives for long hitters to beat up on (Crystal Downs for instance), the green complexes help promote taking three shots instead of two unless the golfer is missing the ball in the right spots.

The 1st is a prime example of a deceptively challenging hole - Tom Paul in one of his million posts  :o has probably coined the phrase 'deceptively difficult architecture' and the 1st can be its poster child. This two shotter measures less than 375 yards from the back yet a man who has played the course more than two hundred times told me that he bogeys the 1st more than any other hole out there. How can that be? The answer centers on the pushed up 3,300 square foot green that plays even smaller. After I did a jig on the 1st tee warning two first timers of the dangers of the 1st, one of the guys stuck his approach to five feet and made birdie. In the afternoon round, he missed the green long left and made the same length putt for a 6. All most enjoyable to watch!

No cart paths, plenty of width in the shaved areas around the greens, the firmness in the playing conditions is near ideal,  the low key clubhouse, the opportunity not to wait and to play in three hours - everything is being done right here. Very few places can say the same.

I understand Cuscowilla being ranked 13th modern in the current Golf Week rankings - I don't understand Chechessee being further back at 77th. Any thoughts?? I keep looking at the new photos in the course profile and they make me appreciate Gib's email all the more.

Cheers,

Will E

Re:30 plus photos added to Chechessee Creek, SC profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:45:40 PM »
Ran,
I was blown away after playing Chechesse. I much prefer it to Cuscowilla, and join you in the camp of thinking it's very underrated.
The only criticism of the course I've heard is that the greens are repetitive and look like pieces of toast. Sometimes it's tough to find fault.
Beautiful pictures, I think Gib called Chechesse a "bulletproof 9". High praise indeed.
I can't wait to return.

pdrake

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 12:56:28 PM »
Ran,

When your friend plays Old Sandwich Golf Club, his opinion on which is more difficult will drastically change.  C&C had a great piece of property in Plymouth to work with.  The founder compares the tract to a combination of Shinnecock, Pine Valley and Crystal Downs.  I have to agree..........I played the first week it was open and it is truly special.  C Creek is a nice course, but far from C&C's best work.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 02:41:08 PM »
Ran -

My 2 cents:

From the "Next Weekend: Chechesse (Sp?) & Secession thread:

"Played Chechessee Creek Club yesterday and was very impressed with its routing, greens complexes, angles of attack from the fairway - all complementing its excellent conditioning.  I used every club in the bag.

The Par 3's are as strong as a set that you will find in South Carolina, and the Par 5's are varied in distance and strategy.  The Par 4's are also varied in distance, and they present the opportunity to reward the well struck driver with a straight forward approach.  The greens themselves are smaller targets as they are pushed up in the back with drop offs to the sides - similar to WFW/PVGC.  

The Par 4 12th hole has two sets of back tees.  The 372 yard tee to the left of the main tee box of 336 yards offers a 211 yard carry over the water/marsh.  You will need to carry the ball 255 yards to carry the ball eating salt water resistant rough to reach the fairway.  A road hole bunker carved out of the false front awaits your second shot (Very reminiscent of #2 at Tobacco Road as well).

The clubhouse and the Men's Locker Room are outstanding to match the superior quality of the course.  Architecture fans will love the 3 versions of the course routing in red pen on yellow paper.  The caddie program is a delightful break from cart paths only slog that is prevalent throughout the low country.

Enjoy!

JWK"

To P Drake -

I haven't had the opportunity to play Cuscowilla, Old Sandwich or Sand Hills for that matter, but I have been visiting the Hilton Head Area for over 10 years, and I really thought that C&C's work exceeds any course that I have played in the region (Harbour Town/Secession/Haig Point/Melrose/Bloody Point/Hampton Hall and a few others not worthy of mentioning).  I have yet to play Long Cove, Colleton River or Berkeley Hall.

I know that I would enjoy playing golf ONLY at Chechessee Creek Club.  I am blessed to have other options and everyone has their own take on every course we examine.  If there is better C&C work, I can't wait to play it!

JWK

FWIW -

While I really enjoyed the majestic setting of #7, I was in awe of #13.  It isn't often that a par 3 set in a flat field can stop me in my tracks on the tee.  With no water/eye candy, here is a hole that I could stand out with a bucket of balls and hit to the green all day.  (Simple things for simple minds???)

scott_wood

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 04:19:43 PM »
Ran's perceptive observations are magnified by his enjoyable writing style. I would echo them, in spades, and add a personal note.
I first played Chechessee two summers ago, as part of a very personal goal of playing all of the courses ever listed on the Golf and Golf week Top 100 US lists ( PLEASE do NOT go off on a tangent re "rankings"! ;))
I was so overwhelmed by both the course and the low key approach that I advanced, by several years, my "schedule" to join a second club. And I've been immensely enjoying playing there, although not as frequently as hoped. It truly is a course you look forward to repeatedly playing/walking.
For those interested enough to see,a good "flavour" can be obtained at CCC's website, www.chechesseecreekclub.com
Cheers, and Thanks for your typically observant writeup, Ran

John Engelbrecht

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 06:11:17 PM »
Ran, after looking for many years, checking out the likes of:
Sessesion
Yeamans
Old tabby
Old Memorial
Berkley
Colleton
Belfair
Reynolds
Cuscowilla
you get the picture, I voted with my check book, I joined Chechessee! Not only have I not experienced any "buyers remorse", the course, the staff, the entire Chechessee experience has exceeded my expectations. This is a classic example of less is more. The architects , the developer and staff got this one right.

David Moore

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 08:59:23 PM »
Chechessee Creek is by far my favorite course in this area.  I have been able to play it 4 times in the last 9 months.  Each time the course, staff, and experience were beyond expectations.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 01:47:58 PM »
how far is chechessee from kiawah island?

david h. carroll

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 02:28:45 PM »
Philip--it's just south of Beaufort SC and Paris Island so about 1.5 hours.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back