News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kenny Lee Puckett

Does "Hole Isolation" cause problems down the road?
« on: November 17, 2004, 09:46:39 AM »
Fasten your seat belts, and kindly refrain from knee-jerk replys.

Did the 1940-70's thinking of "Hole Isolation" cause problems that we are paying for today?

Crump did not llke parallel holes.  Other architects/builders wanted to isolate holes for a variety of reasons:  The Peaceful Walk in the Park Experience, Protection from Wayward Shots, etc.  My own course was built on a dairy farm with very few trees.  The 1921 aerial shows a links-style course with nary a tree for most of the 18 holes.  The course was designed by Willie Park, Jr. who had a great deal of experience with Sunningdale which is a heathland course.  He went onto create Huntercombe, another inland course.  

In the 1950's, we undertook a renovation program that has pleased the members today.  A lot of trees were planted that have now matured.  We know that pines and willows with their shallow roots structures are bad for our wrists.  We have also found that the droughts also bring the roots of the hardwoods to the surface.  A soaking September with rain followed by strong hurricane storms bring the weaker of these trees down, leaving a costly clean-up/break in the treelines.

Do courses overreact in following fads/current triumphs of the time, or this pattern natural evolution?

JWK

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 11:33:39 AM by James W. Keever »

TEPaul

Re:Does "Hole Isolation" cause problems down the road?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 11:24:07 AM »
James:

Look at this---all our little opinionated contributors have zippered lips on this subject all of a sudden. I'm looking forward to giving you one of my indepth 5,000 word replies on this subject but it'll have to wait until later. At the moment I'm just putting my .45  in my shoulder holster and I'm off to our monthly green committee meeting!

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 11:29:30 AM »
I'm not honking, I'm reloading!

George_Bahto

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 04:15:16 PM »
we can't even "fiigger" out where to start !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 04:30:14 PM »
George -

I did not mean to be so obtuse in my question.

Are yesterday's "Keeping up with the Jones' mentality in renovation cause problems today, and will the return to naturalism cause problems in another 20-50 years?

JWK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back