News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nick Pozaric

Going to Monteray and SF, need your advice
« on: November 13, 2004, 07:28:13 PM »
I am planning a trip out to Monteray and SF the 2nd and 3rd week of February.  I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction of courses to check out and play.  Any advice would be appreciated.

cary lichtenstein

Re:Going to Monteray and SF, need your advice
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 08:51:44 PM »
In San Francisco, try to play:

Olympic Club
San Francisco Golf Club

both private and excellent

On the way to Monterey, play:

Pasitempo (public)

In Monterey, play:

Pebble Beach
Spyglass
Cypress if you can
Monterey CC if you can

I would pass on Spanish Bay, never cared for it.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 08:55:26 PM »
First off, bring your rain gear.  February is a tough month trying to predict the weather, it could be that you hit a dry spell but more than likely the ground will play damp and soft no matter where you go,

Do you know if you will be staying in the SF area or in the Monterey area?  There is a few miles distance between the two that may dictate your plans.

With those points to consider and whether or not you have reciprocals at any of the private clubs here are some suggestions, all public access:

Monterey Area:

Pasatiempo
Pebble Beach
Spyglass
Pacific Grove

SF Area:

Half Moon Bay
Wente
Sonoma Mission Inn
Harding Park
Metropolitan

Others will chime in on their favorites.

(You might want to try the search feature as this topic has come up before ...)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 08:56:00 PM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 10:00:41 PM »
thanks for the responses.  First to let everyone know i am not trying to gain invitations to play courses if any of you are members out there.  I will have several days for myself before my wife comes out so traveling a couple hours here and there is no problem.  I am in the golf business so i am going to try to use my connections on gettign on the private courses

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 10:58:28 PM »
Nick, if you have connections, there is an absolute wealth of courses to play.  Be careful of the poor draining courses, Mike is right, February is rainy season.  The locals can give you good advice.  It just depends on where you want to be, the travel distances between SF and Monterey are long, but at that time of year it's hard to play more than one round a day. Luckily there are also a lot of super restaurants, so a complete day will be a good thing.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 06:49:55 AM »
If you had to pick 5 courses   out there and money or connections being no problem, what would they be.  Also how do you respond to emails from members when there is no return email address?
Thanks again

Lance Rieber

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 11:25:45 AM »
Nick, My top five with no restrictions would be
San Francisco Golf Club
Meadow Club in Fairfax, north of the Golden Gate
Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz
Cypress Point
Pebble Beach
Some others I am curious about playing would be
Harding after the renovation
and the new course renovations at MPCC
Olympic(Lakeside) and Lake Merced are two worthy of time to play and The California Club is one I have heard good things about.
Lance

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 12:01:36 PM »
If it's raining, or rained relentously, for the entire season, there's only two choices on the peninsula. PG and Ft Ord. The rest will likely be a slop fest. Also try Stevinson Ranch. It drys instantly, and is but a two hour drive.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 02:53:22 PM »
Thanks again for all the replies.  We are going in Feb because time wise it works for my wife and my work schedule.  I made phone calls today and got the go ahead for Pebble, Spyglass, San Francisco GC, and Olympic Club. I also called Cypress Point and they said there is a small possibility because they do allow a small # of PGA peple to play, ill keep my fingers crossed.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 10:21:15 AM »
I am planning a trip out to Monteray and SF the 2nd and 3rd week of February.  I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction of courses to check out and play.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Nick:
The Bayonnet course at Fort Ord is also worthwhile.
Best
Dave

Evan_Green

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 07:18:29 PM »
I would seriously consider playing Pasatiempo if you have the opportunity. The fact that Mackenzie's home is on this course speaks volumes i believe

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 07:28:43 PM »
Just checking to see if there are any lesser known courses worth playing.  Many have been forwarded to me and ill definately check them out
Nick, if you're in the golf business, and if you're a GCA fan, I have just one question -- how could you NOT know where to play?  C'mon, man, what did you expect to hear -- go play the Modesto Muni?  

Hmm, let's see, I'm going to be in Southhampton in a few weeks -- where should I play?

I'm going to be in Augusta, Georgia next summer.  Where should I try to play?

(posted later:  I re-read this and it came off too harsh.  All I was doing was poking a little fun at a seemingly pretty obvious question, and hopefully it will be taken that way....)

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 08:47:32 PM »
I can't believe that no one has suggested Pacific Grove....

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 10:31:02 PM »
Nick, if you're in the golf business, and if you're a GCA fan, I have just one question -- how could you NOT know where to play?  C'mon, man, what did you expect to hear -- go play the Modesto Muni?  

Hmm, let's see, I'm going to be in Southhampton in a few weeks -- where should I play?

I'm going to be in Augusta, Georgia next summer.  Where should I try to play?

(posted later:  I re-read this and it came off too harsh.  All I was doing was poking a little fun at a seemingly pretty obvious question, and hopefully it will be taken that way....)

your right Dave, it did come out harsh.  He already said he wasn't trying to get on Olympic or SFG with this post - why don't you give him the benefit of the doubt ?

I've been to SF twice and looked up courses to play, and there were literally hundreds of public and semi-public tracks to play.  I'm sure that is what he was talking about.  don't you?   Just because he's in the golf business doesn't mean he's an expert on golf courses across the country.

Of course SFGC and OC are the cream, but to pick the best 5 public tracks could be daunting if your not from there.  There are many a few hours away worth the drive I'm sure.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 10:33:04 PM by Eric_Dorsey »

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »
One last question, I need one more course to play in the San Fran area besides SFGC and the O club.   I am going to play 36 on one day and cant play both of those the sane day so I need one more course.Thanks for the help

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:54:20 AM »
The Cal club, is a must, if you can.

Mike Benham

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 09:34:04 AM »
You can give Lake Merced a try, it is close to both OC and SFGC.

In February the days still aren't that long and if you are trying to play 36 you need to cut down on the driving times.  Harding may also be worth it for you to compare against other PGA venues and is also within a mile or two of the other places.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 09:35:39 AM by Mike Benham »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Dave_Miller

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 10:58:33 AM »
I can't believe that no one has suggested Pacific Grove....

Sean:
Mike Benham did in the second reply to this post. :D :D
Best,
Dave

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 01:21:01 PM »
In addition to Lake Merced, the Cal Club and Harding Park (all fine options), you should also consider the Ocean Course at the Olympic Club. I think the back 9 there is quite good.

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 02:00:21 PM »
Are there any pics or other info on the Cal Club someone could point me to

SL_Solow

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 04:19:06 PM »
I concur that the Cal Club is worthwhile especially after its tree removal program of a few years back.

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 04:45:22 PM »
Nick-

I just returned from having lunch with your brother here in SF.

I doubt you will find much about the Cal Club on the web. It is very much a private, 'old-school' kind of place. I doubt half the members there even know what the internet is!

DT

Nick Pozaric

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2004, 07:21:17 AM »
Thanks for the info David, hope my bro is doing fine.  I know he is a bit jealous of me and my upcoming trip to Cal and my ease of calling courses for tee-times.  I tell him id trade my priveledges for his salary:)    I am probably going to leave here mondays night instead of sunday night so that might cut one day of golf out for me,  I am trying to get as much golf out of the way before my wife comes and im going to try to drag her to Pebble with me.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 09:17:42 AM by Nick Pozaric »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back