News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

winter grumbles
« on: November 08, 2004, 12:47:15 PM »
when i played at gleneagles this past weekend a few things irritated me about my saturday round (not to be confused with sublime sunday round).

1 - they accepted a booking for 1.30pm tee off, yet when you look inside their system, they have the word  "DARK" alongside bookings from 1pm onwards. you would have thought they might have said something - even if you think i was stupid for booking so late in the first place.
2 - the half-way house was closed, at 3.15pm - and this was a day when you really needed it!
3 - the men were effectively playing off the women's tees.
4 - all the greens had been tined
5 - the place for receiving the clubs was closed when we finished around 4.30pm (with everything saturated).

I think it would be much better if clubs were a bit more transparent (eg, on their web-sites) about what playing golf in winter involves and said something along the lines of: if you play after october 31 (or whenever), you should expect that the course will be sub-par in a number of ways (as outlined above). We still think you will have a great round, but the green fee is reduced to reflect the fact that the course is not in the same condition you would expect through the spring and summer.

in this case, lack of transparency about points 1-5 above left slightly the wrong taste in the mouth. even if you tee off late, you are surely as deserving a customer as someone who tees off at 9am?

does anyone else recognise the experience? do they do it better anywhere else? or is it just the way of golf-clubs that if you tee off late, you better not expect the full run of the facilities. i would be lying if i said i had not experienced similar things elsewhere - maybe you expect better at a top notch resort.

David_Tepper

Re:winter grumbles
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 01:21:09 PM »
Philip-

Given the amount of golfing ground you have covered over the past year, I doubt you will get much sympathy here for your experience at Gleneagles on Saturday!

That being said, I totally understand how you feel about your experience. It is a real drag feeling like you have been handed the short end. The practice of plugging/sanding/tining greens with no notice and/or no break in green fees is standard procedure here in the US and always rubs me the wrong way.  

Was your green fee on Saturday afternoon reduced significantly? Did you voice your complaints to Gleneagles management before your left?

I think the only way to combat what you experienced is to complain to the powers that be, above the golf operation.
Write them a letter and see how they respond.

DT  

Philip Gawith

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 01:25:09 PM »
david, it is difficult to know the extent to which green fee was reduced, because it was wrapped in with a room-rate. i am pretty sure it was reduced a fair bit, but you still think they should treat you the same, no matter what time of the day or month of the year you play! i did not complain - but i may, with your encouragement! don't let me put anyone off - the kings course was excellent and the hotel is great  - but top of the range places should be held to high standards.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 01:53:41 PM »
Philip-

I really would encourage you to write to the Gleneagles management on this. Given that they promote Gleneagles as one of the "premier sporting estates in the world," one would think that they would like to know if and why any of their guests are unhappy.

It would be interesting to hear how they respond to your complaint.

DT

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 02:01:21 PM »
Let them know that you are sharing this information with a lot of influential people in the golf world (well some are!) and they may well grovel.  I've had good dealings in the past with their Public Relations Manager, Diana J Scott: diana.j.scott@gleneagles.com

Good luck!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back