News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Aberdovey 3rd Hole 'Cader'
« on: November 08, 2004, 09:46:25 AM »
This thread starts in Ran's one about The Addington but as that has got into serious territory I thought it better to hive off this fairly minor issue.  When Patric Dickinson wrote 'A Round of Golf Courses' in 1951 the hole measured 165 yards.  When last I was there it was 173.  Clearly more was altered than simply taking away the top of the dune.  According to Dickinson:

...you hit over the curve of a mountainous dune into the air....so subterranean is the tee in relation to the green that you have a periscope to put you on to the target....over the brow of 'Cader' is a 'romantic chasm' of appalling size....beyond this waste, which has its hell-gate perpendicularly guarded with railway sleepers' lies the green in a nice friendly hollow.

This is the photo in Dickinson's book:

Here is his cross-section drawing of it:

Card of the course and local rules:

A letter from Dickinson to me I found stuffed away in the pages.  He had just done a concert interval assembly of poems relating to heroes based on the order of events in Richard Strauss's 'Ein Heldenleben' which was in the second half of our live concert relay.  We never did get a chance to do his suggestion about poets who had not learned Greek.  He died early in 1994.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Aberdovey 3rd Hole 'Cader'
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:04:45 PM »
Mark,
How would I have loved to have my copy signed!

From British Golf Links, The Cader circa 1896, the year Hutchinson's great book was published.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 12:23:01 PM »
Tommy,

Mine is!

We must meet when I'm in the States in January.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »
Sadly, the hole looks nothing like that anymore! Or at least by what the picture shows in Donald Steel's book.

Mark, Glad to hear your taking the advice!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back