News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Sweeney

Montauk Downs - 1927 - Tippett w assist by MacDonald
« on: November 04, 2004, 07:51:37 AM »
There is a chapter in America's Linksland by William Quirin on the old Montauk Downs by Tippett w some assistance by MacDonald. There are 4 photos that look very classic, and knowing the terrain out there, it would seem to rival any of the "Up-Island" courses on Long Island.

The book is very fuzzy about the transition from the 1938 hurricane and WWII years to the now RTJ/Rees course. Does anybody know more info on this transition period. Is today's course on the same site and was the old course completely plowed under ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 07:52:20 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Montauk Downs - 1927 - Tippett w assist by MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 10:36:20 AM »
'Golf Clubs of the MGA' (William Quirin) says:  The course survived the Depression, the famous hurricane of 1938 and World War II, but was replaced by the present Robert Trent Jones course in 1968.  The hotel was converted to condominiums in 1974, and the course was taken over by the state in 1978.  Where once the land was bare, trees abound today.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 10:37:54 AM »
Mike - I am currently reading "Missing Links" by Daniel Wexler - a wonderful book I would recommend for anyone.

He highlights this course in the book. I wish I had the details in front of me. I believe that the facility had four or five courses, with the Jones course the only hint remaining of what once was.

I will try to find more details and post them for you later.

Tony

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 10:57:41 AM »
And on a bright note, the State of New York is beginning to put money into refurbishing the course by diverting it from Bethpage. Dave Catalano oversees both facilities & Craig Currier is helping out as well. Among the work to be done, some of which has already started, is rebuilding the bunkers.

Craig Disher

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 11:18:51 AM »
The course in 1938 was on the same site as the current RTJ course although there appears to be no similarity between the two. When I first saw the 1938 aerial, I thought I was looking at Shinnecock Hills.

I think we've had this discussion on a thread a year or so ago but there was another course either built and abandoned or never completed near Montauk Beach and Overlook Park in 1938. That course might have been part of the larger plan. However, there's no evidence, at least in 1938, of any other course development.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 11:30:38 AM »
It is believed that Maxwell did some work there after the 1938 hurricane to rebuild some of what may have been lost.  But I don't have any other details.  In an interview with Maxwell's nephew he gave me some wonderful information about Maxwell's activity in the New York area after the hurricane.  But he didn't work on any of the courses, just drove Perry around so he doesn't know any of the architecture aspects of the work, just the comings and goings.  Places he remembers going to included:

Maidstone
Rockaway
Montauk
Westhampton or Westchester ( he couldn't remember which one)
National
Shinnecock (just to play the course)

He also stopped in Philly to take Perry to Merion and also drove him around N. Carolina while Perry worked at Old Town and other courses in the state (Hope Valley and Reynolds Park)

« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:32:08 AM by Chris_Clouser »

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:49:38 AM »
Chris -

Was that the same trip that took Maxwell to ANGC?

Is there any evidence that Bobby Jones also had Maxwell do some work at Egan's North Fulton course in Atlanta at about the same time?

Bob
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 11:50:44 AM by BCrosby »

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 02:33:18 PM »
No, this was after Maxwell worked at Augusta.  He did his work at Augusta in 1937 and 1938.  The work in the Northeast was in 1939 and took place mostly in the summer and fall.

And yes, I'm very confident that Maxwell did the work at Egan's course as we have discussed previously.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back