News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marc Haring

Hedges on courses
« on: October 27, 2004, 10:22:22 AM »
The image below is an aerial of a site for a nine-hole extension to an existing 27 hole complex. Some of the original holes are visible. The picture is of 4 fields in a row running left to right and all divided by hedges plus a lower triangular one and my question is, do you think it is wise or even essential to either remove or use the hedges in the design. Although they are of dubious environmental merit, they are still of some value and hedge removal is always a contentious issue in the UK. It would therefore, be preferable to preserve them but maybe not if it will be at the expense of creating a good quality golf course. Could they be utilised as fair natural hazards or would their linear appearance and unforgiving status as a golfing hazard be too much of a compromise to the quality of the course?

Your views would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 10:23:36 AM by Marc Haring »

Tyler Kearns

Re:Hedges on courses
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 10:29:30 AM »
Marc,

The linearity of hedges is not the most pleasing sight on a golf course, much in the way that trees planted in straight lines detract from the overall visual experience. However, if it is going to raise eyebrows, then I'm sure leaving them intact is fine. But, I would be very hesitant to incorporate them into the design of the course. If they were to serve as some form of hazard, the problem of extricating one's ball would be a nuisance - slowing play, and infuriating golfers. Further, the uniformity of the hedge would make it difficult to accurately locate where one's ball entered, especially when running parallel to the hole.

Tyler Kearns
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 10:30:27 AM by Tyler Kearns »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 11:39:46 PM »
The old guys used to grub up hedges without any worry.  But now days I think they should be preserved if at all possible.  Some of these are hundreds of years old (even a thousand in a few cases), define the British landscape and are actually of great environmental benefit:  many different plants build up an ancient hedgerow and these support a large variery of wildlife.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 10:34:00 AM »
The great value of hedges is that they provide linear motorways for small birds and, in Britain, small birds are in serious decline.  On the other hand, they are not good golfing hazards.  So if you cut a 50 yard gap in the hedge to accommodate a fairway let the hedges go wild either side so that there is plenty of cover from predators before the small birds make their dash through the gap.  You can enhance the hedges and reduce their straight line appearance with berried bushes and trees and in no time at all the members will be carrying plastic bags with them to gather fruit for their elderberry wine and sloe gin, mercifully free of lead.  

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 01:21:02 PM »
Marc:

Interesting question. The only time I've seen linear hedges used in a golf design appears to have been on holes #8 and #9 at Raynor's Fox Chapel in Pittsburgh that show up on some of the old aerials soon after the course opened. I would say it didn't look like they were all that significant strategically on those holes but they certainly could very much come into play. The in-line and linear hedges were osage orange and actually looked pretty cool juxtaposed to the straight lines of much of Raynor's architecture.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 01:41:31 PM »
Roger the Shrubber : Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history.

King Arthur : Did you say shrubberies?

Roger the Shrubber : Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.

ian

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 03:33:20 PM »
Tommy,

Very funny, I will watch that again tonight. ;D

Mark,

I assume the Hedge found at Laval-sur-le-lac does not fit the bill! ;D

They love their hedges in Montreal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2004, 03:35:33 PM by Ian Andrew »

Marc Haring

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 02:10:12 PM »
Ian.

Thanks for the pics. Jeez, that hedge in the first picture looks a tad severe if I may say. I mean, it is blocking practically the entire view of the fairway, assuming there is a fairway there that is. Did it have some sort of sacred significance?

It’s funny, here we are getting a little critical over the linear look of hedges and in your pic we’ve got a ludicrous tree planting scheme where it looks as though exotic salix has been allied to a bit of indigenous stuff and what appears to be a line of leyllandii in the distance and on top of that, a real nice fountain and a buggy path. Mind you, I bet the members think it’s a work of art. :-X

Tommy.

Lost me there.  ??? I assume we are talking some sort of televisual experience of which I am not familiar? Sounds good though. We’ll probably get it in a year or so. :-\

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2004, 02:20:57 PM »
Marc,
How in the world could you, a Brit, not recognize the Monty Python's?

(Quotes are from the famed Monty Python's Holy Grail.)

Marc Haring

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2004, 03:11:32 PM »
Oh God!!!!!!!! How could I be so stupid. Forgive me, forgive me. Of course it is and the wit was so obvious. I feel like I have blasphemed. A horrible slur on our divine LORD JC (John Cleese).

Have to say though, preferred Faulty Towers.

wsmorrison

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2004, 06:39:48 PM »
Fawlty Towers was very good, Monty Python at times great.  However, above all I loved the Jeeves and Wooster series and Blackadder.  Superb TV!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2004, 06:40:54 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back