News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Mollica

Barnbougle Dunes Review by Mike Clayton
« on: October 25, 2004, 09:41:32 AM »
You'll have to satisfy yourselves with the written word, and only a few pictures thus far, but following the link below will give you an insight into the history and design of the latest and greatest course on the map.

http://www.iseekgolf.com/coursereviews/review.php?cr_id=16

Matthew
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 09:42:43 AM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Barnbougle Dunes Review by Mike Clayton
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 11:22:08 AM »
Thanks Matthew. That was a great read.

Hats off to everyone involved, but particularly Greg Ramsey and Richard Sattler. It really seems like the Barnbougle project came together for "all the right reasons".

Can't wait to get there, someday!
jeffmingay.com

George Pazin

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 11:55:34 AM »
Another enjoyable read, can't wait to get there.

One minor quibble - my recollection is that Greg's original idea was to have the course be public, but member financed, not private, as is stated in the article. I could be wrong, of course. As one of the original attempted members, I am thrilled that everything came together so well. There were some naysayers on this site a few years back - bet everyone involved feels especially good about the results.

Congratulations to Greg, Mr. Sattler, and Tom D & Mike
C & their wonderful crews. Pretty impressive that Mr. Sattler was willing to take such a leap, as a non golfer.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 04:47:58 PM »
My second day down at Barny Dunes was Friday. I actively looked for ways in which I would temper the superlatives in the course review I penned after the first visit.

I actually confirmed the judgements made after the first day. I also found new little features and design components which I really liked, and had missed the first time.

You should see the land they didn't use. It is hilarious that some of the dunes and passed on a walk fron green to the next tee, because there is a better canvas to use, a little further along!

I have walked away thinking that this course will easily open in the world top 50. For sheerly wonderful routing, variety, beauty of the locale, enjoyable shotmaking, and the number of absolute knock out holes, there is no doubting the quality of this course.  Thanks Tom D, and Mike C, and all at BD!

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 05:25:15 PM »
Matthew,

If Barnbougle is that good (as I suspect it is), hopefully enough raters will get down there to see it, to ensure it takes its rightful place on the World list. We'll see.

On an aside, have you visited Ranfurlie?

I've perused the Ranfurlie section of Mike Clayton's website and this new course looks very interesting in the photos featured at the website. I'm interested in any comments on Ranfurlie.
jeffmingay.com

tonyt

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 05:40:52 AM »
Jeff,

I'm a Ranfurlie fan. Nearby this course, a Peter Thomson track has just opened, and the comparison is amazing. Thomson built an open parkland course of average character, whilst Ranfurlie is a traditionalist's or minimalist's paradise. The minor movement on the site has been used exceptionally well. The bunkering, their look and the green complexes are a treat. And you know whilst playing here that you are on a really special track. In years to come, a visitor could be thinking they had stumbled on a wonderful 1920s design from one of the greats that had escaped poor committee decisions throughout it's life.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back