News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

Doak Interview in The Golfer
« on: October 21, 2004, 02:03:12 PM »
Check out the somewhat long interview...

http://www.thegolfermag.com/the_golfer/story_bow04_doak.htm

Robert Thompson

Re:Doak Interview in The Golfer
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 02:14:25 PM »
Is there a golf publication, Website, or book out there currently that isn't running some sort of interview with Tom Doak? Kinda reminds me of an alt-rock band that was big with the college kids and suddenly crosses over to the mainstream (REM comes to mind...)

Robert
Terrorizing Toronto Since 1997

Read me at Canadiangolfer.com

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 03:47:01 PM »
Robert;

Tom Doak as Michael Stipe?

Hmmmm...I guess Jim Urbina as Bill Berry..

It's the end of the world as we know it.

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 04:30:16 PM »
Isn't the picture shown in the article #4 at Pacific Dunes not Barnbougle Dunes?

Eric Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 05:19:40 PM »
Isn't the picture shown in the article #4 at Pacific Dunes not Barnbougle Dunes?

Yes

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:58:38 AM »
Robert;

Tom Doak as Michael Stipe?

Hmmmm...I guess Jim Urbina as Bill Berry..

It's the end of the world as we know it.

Jim Urbina is quitting?  Does TD know about this?

Ken

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:31:44 AM »
Ken;

That's what sometimes happens when you try to enter a quick, cryptic message...I meant Peter Buck.

Perhaps Gil Hanse could have played the Bill Berry role?  :D

Oh...nevermind..

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 12:41:02 PM »
I guess no one has read through the whole thing, because no one commented that I managed to get some publicity for Painswick after playing there this spring!

And I owe Colin Sheehan a beer for managing not to use the word "controversial" in a piece about me.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2004, 12:53:43 PM »
And I owe Colin Sheehan a beer for managing not to use the word "controversial" in a piece about me.

Tom,

Does this mean you're getting soft?  Or mainstream?   ;)

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2004, 05:54:07 PM »
I thought it was an excellent read, particularly as there were fresh (to me) thoughts despite three books and a number of previous interviews and postings here.
I loved the description of TOC, which is consistent with but expands and elucidates the entry in CG.
I was interested that Mr Doak said he tends to react against  what contemporaries have done, or even what he himself has done. I'm wonder if this  is a factor when we  puzzle about Colt/MacK's parsimony/profligacy with particular architectural features?
Had seen the reference to Painswick but was a little embarassed to mention it as though  I know you putt (and read greens) like a pro was  not totally convinced by the rest of your short game.
What did you tell  Pete Dye on your third  day on the job?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2004, 08:23:21 PM »
Andy:

I punted on Pete's question by asking him questions about the hole he was working on [it was the 15th, a long par five], instead of coming up with a firm suggestion.  I was really still trying to visualize the course as more than a giant sand box at that stage.  The next day, Alice Dye came out and spent a day with the shapers and her result is the finished product.

Near the end of the job, Pete did give me a chance to take the first crack at shaping one of the greens, the par-4 fourth.  [P.B. kept some of it and modified the rest for the finished version.]  When Ben Crenshaw came out the next spring to play, he picked the fourth and fifteenth as two of his favorite greens ... and Pete was sure to tell me he was proud that he'd done "one out of three" of Ben's favorites.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2004, 07:06:15 AM »
Tom - do you consider unconventional the same as controversial?  If not then from the Stonewall North article, I know someone else you owe a beer to.   :)  JC  

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2004, 08:47:47 AM »
"I was interested that Mr Doak said he tends to react against  what contemporaries have done, or even what he himself has done."

TomD:

You better watch yourself pal---when they start calling you MR DOAK--the glorification quickly followed by the massive categorization process is beginning. To me you're no MR DOAK---just TomD the now grown up kid with the apparently golf architecture photographic memory and active mind who says what he thinks perhaps more than he should in some circles in today's world.

You better go into a quiet room for a while and meditate on what direction you really want to go in your future and come out swinging, even if that means telling a couple of potential clients "It's my way or my tail lights!"----even if you have to set that up as a ploy for the story of it.

What's your dream for architecture, even if it does go against the grain of some?

Paul_Turner

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2004, 04:28:26 PM »
Good to see Tom highlight little olde Painswick.  I wonder how he would review the course after some time to reflect?  I think I recall he liked the 16th tee shot best.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 04:28:39 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back