News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Heather and Heaven
« on: October 15, 2004, 10:48:13 AM »
This is the first club history (Walton Heath) to win the coveted International Book Award from the USGA.

Anyone read it?

http://whgc.co.uk/pages/heather.htm
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 10:48:32 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Heather and Heaven
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 11:14:52 AM »
That cartoon drawing of Braid on the cover is classic!
jeffmingay.com

Paul_Turner

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 11:36:41 AM »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 12:12:56 PM »
Paul-

There was a good article on Walton Heath (its history and its Artisans' Club) several issues ago in Travel & Leisure Golf. If you go to www.tlgolf.com and search for 'Walton Heath' , you should be able to pull it up.

DT

Alex_Wyatt

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 03:26:02 PM »
I have a copy.  A fine book. Great information about the changes necessitated by the motorway.  My own feeling is that the Old is quite a bit better than the New, which would not get much attention, were it not for its justifiably renowned sibling.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2004, 05:51:30 PM »
Paul,

I played Walon in Heath in May, one could not think of a finer days golf with a pleasant break for lunch in between two wonderful courses. Although I saw the book, they had just handed me, free of charge, a copy of the magazine commemorating the Club's Centeniary. It is packed with handwritten testamonials from anyone who is someone in golf, from Arnold to Aliss. It also has many interesting articles about the history of the Club and the politcal types who frequented it, as well documenting the 3 outstanding Professionals the Club has had in its' 100 years. Ken MacPhearson was extemely nice and went out of his way to make me feel welcome. If the book is half as good it would be a wise investment.
I was also quite fond of the New course, which although much shorter than the Old, has many fine holes. It was one of the few times I was at a multiple course complex (i.e., Ballybunion, Saunton) where I was not thinking "why am I wasting my time here when I could be playing the Old Course".
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back