News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Courses 20
« on: September 16, 2004, 02:31:53 PM »
Royal West Norfolk...

...or Brancaster, as it's often called.  This is one of England's special golfing places.  It is an old-fashioned course, though it has undergone change over the years, mostly as a result of coastal erosion, and the course is very vulnerable still.  Play it if you can for it may not last forever.  It dates back to 1892 and most of today's course is the work of Horace Hutchinson and Holcombe Ingleby.  To get to it you drive down a narrow lane across a salt marsh and, already, the atmosphere is unique.  The clubhouse is a rambling old affair, like one of those dilapidated Italian restaurants that looks utterly shabby on the outside yet serves the most delicious fare inside.  

The War Memorial Gate through which you pass for access to the course - no buggies here!  It's all a throwback to another era with its sleepered bunkers, shared fairways and obsessive adherence to 2-ball match-play only.  When first I played here the 13th was a long short hole but perhaps 20 years ago a green site was located in the dunes some way to the right of the original and it is now a 316-yard par 4, making the course 6,427 yards with a par of 71.  The outward half is 331 yards longer than the back nine, but almost invariably the back nine is played into the wind, and, my goodness, it can blow fiercely here.

3rd, 403 yards par 4.  There is no easy introduction at Brancaster with three solid two-shot holes, each over 400 yards.  However, the approach to the 3rd is more fearsome than the others with a wall of sleepered bunkers to be carried 50 yards short of the green, which is raised up above steep drops into bunkers, wicked rough or out-of-bounds just through the back.

4th, 129 yards par 3.  This green is no more than a pimple (21 yards deep) atop a mound protected by a huge sleepered fortification and a horrid bunker should you happen to bounce back from the sleepers.

4th.  It looks so benign from here!

5th, 417 yards par 4.  An exciting hole with a drive over a ridge to a fairway bounded by the dunes.  Not only is the second shot played over a ridge and bunkers but the second half of the fairway is on a totally different line, as if shifted bodily to the right. The green is unbunkered, but there are 3 more on the approaches.

5th.  If you miss the green wildly you are in this sort of jungle.

6th, 184 yards par 3.  You then cross the 7th fairway to get to the 6th tee, in order to play this lovely par 3 alongside the salt marsh.  When these photos were taken (late on a sultry summer's evening) there was little water there, but at high tides in winter the golf course can be cut off from the mainland.....

7th, 483 yards par 4.  A good hole gradually narrowing towards the green with a pot bunker 50 yards short and the salt marsh awaiting the merest slice.  The putting surface is only 23 yards deep.  However, our thoughts are probably already on the next two holes, which follow....

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:British Courses 20
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 02:42:28 PM »
Brancaster continued.

8th, 494 yards par 5.  One of the great short par 5s.  As this photo demonstrates, it is very hard to work out exactly where to place the drive - it all looks so featureless.  The fairway runs at an angle to the right and lies on the far side of a tidal creek. There's another one on the far side, and you can easily run out of fairway.  You can, of course, aim further to the right, but then the margin for directional error is more critical.  Even then, a decision has to be made over whether it is possible to reach the green, on the far side of the second tidal creek or admit defeat and hope for a single putt.

8th.  The shot you are faced with if you opt for the 3-shot approach (ca 150 yards).  It is white-knuckle stuff from 200 yards out.

9th, 405 yards par 4.  Another marvellous hole with a drive over the salt marsh which is a permanent threat all down the right, then an approach played over another stretch of marsh (dried out here, but often an arm of the sea) and a wall of railway sleepers.  Again the green is minute, 23 yards deep.  What must this have been like when even the best players had to go for it with a spoon or brassie?

9th.  Once you get there it is a lovely spot, right at the end of a spit of land sticking out into this sailors' and bird watchers' paradise.

More to follow....

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 02:52:15 PM »
Brancaster completed

12th, 379 yards par 4.  The 12th and 13th play south and north respectively, across the middle of the site.  Otherwise only the 4th does not play directly east or west.  

12th.  Here is the 12th green in its raised dune setting with the 7th green beyond.  It is a compact course, yet rarely do you feel cramped.

14th, 430 yards par 4.  A tough hole into the wind, with the green raised on a plateau on the far side of a bunkered gully.  It is adjacent to the 4th green and once again is not overgenerous (23 yards deep)

15th, 188 yards par 3.  Unfortunately the sun was in the wrong place to attempt to get a picture of the vast sandy cavern (sleeper-faced, of course) which must be cleared to find this green, once again raised above its surroundings.

18th, 381 yards par 4.  The fairway is shared with the 1st and the green is rather secretive, somewhat on the flat, lurking behind a couple of low yet braod bunkers.  The sleepers even continue round the back of the green.  And so it is back through the War Memorial Gate to a well-earned drink and, sadly, a return to the real world.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 03:13:19 PM »
wonderful pics & narrative.

johnk

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 04:04:44 PM »
I live in the wrong country.

England is blessed.  I'd feel LCUKY if I ever get to live there.

Joe Andriole

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 07:55:26 PM »
Great pictures that evoke wonderful memories.  Thanks so much.

Mark_F

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 07:57:51 PM »
Mark Rowlinson:

Are the club allowed by the authorities to do anything about the coastal erosion problems, or do they just have to bend over and take it?

John K:

England, and the rest of the UK for that matter, can be a sublime place.  

But only if you don't have to drive anywhere.

Or catch public transport.

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 11:06:11 PM »
Mark,
  You HAVE to STOP!!! You are killing me. :'( I am not going to live long enough to see all this fun golf. Thanks for taking the time to put these posts together, they are a great reminder of the taste I had in May.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

johnk

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 11:11:11 PM »
I agree with Ed.  I try not to look at these too much.  It hurts.  Although, if you ever publish them in a book... :)

Mark F - I think driving around England is perfectly sublime - as long as you don't have anywhere you really need to be.  I racked up 1400 miles this year.  When I got tired, I just pulled over, ratched the seat back, and went to sleep.

Mark_F

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 11:38:21 PM »
John K:

The last time I was in the UK was 1996.  Maybe I had memories of things that didn't really exist, but I was staggered at how busy the roads had become.  I think I did around the same number of miles as last time (around 3000), and I don't really remember being as apoplectic last time as this.

Of course, it could just be old age and the related problems of incontinence, blurred vision, hearing loss and general crotchiness, but since I'm only 39, and haven't been to a Metallica concert lately, I sure as hell hope not. :D

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 04:57:12 AM »
Mark,  I don't know whether the club can do anything.  I'm sure they'd be allowed to.  I think it's more that the whole of the north Norfolk coast is eroding at an alarming rate.  Sheringham is also in grave danger.

I agree, our roads are extremely busy and the north Norfolk coast road off which the lane to Brancaster runs is narrow, windy and very busy during the summer months.  It now takes me an hour longer to drive to London than it did in the mid 90s - same roads, more traffic and a million-fold increase in speed cameras and other deterrent measures.  Our public transport is not bad in certain places, but it is expensive and hopeless if you want to travel at rush hour or in the evening.  It is also pathetically slow cross-country.

I do drive a lot of miles in a year, mostly in England and Wales and if anyone wants to tap in on my knowledge of alternative routes to avoid motorway hold ups etc I'd be happy to make suggestions.

Otherwise, I'm sorry if I make you jealous.  If it's any consolation, I cannot afford to play most of these places myself now that I no longer have a real job.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 05:23:30 AM »
thanks as ever mark. would have been nice if you could also have captured some flavour of the club-house. don't you agree that the main downstairs room is wonderfully atmospheric, and then you also have the nice upstairs section with the telescope?

my memory of golfing there includes some very fast-moving, military-type 2 balls playing through you as if you barely existed! i think i am right in thinking that it has quite strong links to the air force on account of nearby base/s

Andy Levett

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 06:33:11 AM »
My favourite set of pictures in the British Courses series so far. Brancaster is way up on my must play list.
Has anyone ever built a copy of the 8th? It seems a good replica candidate, though would it be heresy to suggest an elevated tee so the first time visitor could weigh up the options?
Regarding the sea, the tactic is the very British one of 'managed retreat'. Here's some info: http://www.northcoastal.freeserve.co.uk/west_marsh.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back