News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Braunsdorf

Evolution of Seth Raynor, specifically Morris County GC
« on: August 30, 2004, 09:22:18 PM »
I had the opportunity to examine a few holes at Morris County today, and after talking with a few GCA'ers, I ascertained that Raynor redesigned several holes about 1923, according to "Architects of Golf".    
In the past, I wondered about this course, specifically relating to the design of the holes; did the club retain Raynor to redesign only specific holes and not touch others, or was his style evolving, after CBM retired from designing courses?  

The holes I viewed today were the Punchbowl 18th, reverse redan 13th, and first.  Not very representative of the entire course, but it's the best I could do given the day.  

The first hole didn't appear to be Raynor, but I found there were several architects at work here, according to the book--Bendelow first, then Whigham, Raynor, then Hal Purdy  :P and Rees Jones  :P more recently.  

Perhaps George Bahto could offer something here--again, my question is that:

Did the club retain Raynor to redesign only specific holes and not touch others, or was his style evolving, after CBM retired from designing courses, and he began designing holes which were not "template" holes?  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Brad Klein

Re:Evolution of Seth Raynor, specifically Morris County GC
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 10:30:25 PM »
Rees' work is all gone there, and much of what you now see at Morris County is Ron Prichard's restoration of the old, Raynor stuff. It's very good and very strong and a golf course that gets nowhere near the credit or attention it deserves.

Doug Braunsdorf

Re:Evolution of Seth Raynor, specifically Morris County GC
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 10:36:35 PM »
Rees' work is all gone there, and much of what you now see at Morris County is Ron Prichard's restoration of the old, Raynor stuff. It's very good and very strong and a golf course that gets nowhere near the credit or attention it deserves.

First, I breathe a sigh of relief.  The golf course is in good hands!  Do you know what holes, besides the holes I named are Raynor?  If so, which 'template' holes are reprsented?  
The "Big Ben" hole gets a lot of notoriety.  Was that Raynor, or was that Whigham?  That's one hole which I haven't seen in other 'template' designs.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back