News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Was Ross just an average talent with one hell of a sales pitch...
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2004, 03:35:29 PM »
John, that's "Diddle."

TEPaul

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2004, 03:51:17 PM »
"Butt seriously...."

John B:

I was just wondering if "Butt seriously" is anything like "Butt-hole drunk"?

JakaB

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2004, 04:14:28 PM »
Thank you mine editors....it's too late to change it now...Diddle and But.....I don't know if either of you have ever seen the "Diddle Bump"...but it is more fun and deceptive than a Ross bunker 20yds short of the green..the Diddle Bump just keeps on giving play after play..

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2004, 05:40:25 PM »
Wasn't Officer Dibble on "Top Cat"?

;>

Ron Kern

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2004, 07:33:48 PM »
Actually it is Diddel.

I don't know what Diddel would have done if he had more exposure.  My crystal ball is a little cloudy today.  Was he a good golf course architect?  Sure!  His courses were very playable for the "average" golfer and yet challenging for the better player.

I just don't like to compare golf architects, or much of anything else for that matter - Like music - Is Guy Clark better than Jim Lauderdale;  is Joshua Redman better than Trane.  I don't know.  You could argue about that for days.  I just choose to listen and enjoy.

JakaB sure likes to stir it up ;D - and I was not aware that Matt Ward was "in love" with Purgatory.

Sorry to be so passive about this.

I look up to Donald Ross and his craft with great appreciation, repsect and interest,  And I try to learn all I can from his work; and enjoy it when I play one of his courses.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2006, 08:04:35 AM »
Kavanaugh, where are your cards and letters?

We have had a presence and have a strategy, you on the other hand have done absolutely nothing other than shoot your uninformed mouth off.

As for the paper tiger routine, this paper tiger co-founded an organization 15 years ago that heralded the onset of restoration vs. renovation in the public forum. This paper tiger has assisted on 125 restoration projects and has visit another 80 or so sites to promote the concept of restoration. Most of this was done at the expense of the paper tiger.

You on the other hand have done nothing, know nothing and continue to paint these pages with accusations and insults. For an uninformed observer you seem to operate with a large amount of invective.

When you become aware of the operations, the successes and the efforts of the Donald Ross Society perhaps you will appreciate the concept.

On behalf of JakaB let me offer Mr. Fay an apology...It looks like he and his society have a good grasp of the work going on at French Lick.  Sorry guy..

JESII

« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
Well done John.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2006, 10:02:35 AM »
Name someone else in the US who so often created courses that elevated the game of the mediocre golfer, and severely tested the fine golfer.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2006, 10:03:24 AM »
Name someone else in the US who so often created courses that elevated the game of the mediocre golfer, and severely tested the fine golfer.  

William Flynn.

Steve_Lemmon

« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2006, 11:01:11 AM »
Kyle:  great point in response to my overly broad challenge.   I have never played any of Flynn's courses, and have seen Shinnecock when the rough is really grown up for the open, so my impression was that it is a lot more penal than Ross' work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back