News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Renderings of 4 holes at Hanse's Boston Golf Club
« on: August 19, 2004, 04:49:06 PM »
I found these renderings of 4 holes at the upcoming Boston
Golf Club, being designed by Gil Hanse.  The club is scheduled
to open in spring 2005:

#1:

#4:

#6:

#18:

George Pazin

Re:Renderings of 4 holes at Hanse's Boston Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 05:28:29 PM »
While I would kill to be able to paint like that, I will say that if this is the course Gill showed us photos of back in February, it looked even better in photos.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 05:37:29 PM »
Sorry, I wasn't at the Winter Gathering to see those pics (nor
did I know that pics were shown).  I guess this is for those of
us that weren't there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 05:37:39 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 05:41:10 PM »
I didn't mean anything negative toward you, Scott - I'm sure everyone appreciates the post. I just wanted to express just how great the course looked in the slides Gil brought. You'll have to find an excuse to join us next year. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jason Mandel

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 05:47:21 PM »
Let's give credit where credit's due.  Lee Wybranski was the artist of those renderings and he did a wonderful job as always.  Anyone who wants to check out more of Lee's stuff should go to www.groupwartworks.com.  We commishioned him for a piece at our club and it turned out fantastic as well, he has done a lot  of the GAP courses.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Matt Kardash

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 06:13:21 PM »
These holes look like something Mike Strantz would do. Especially the first and last two.
the interviewer asked beck how he felt "being the bob dylan of the 90's" and beck quitely responded "i actually feel more like the bon jovi of the 60's"

pdrake

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 07:19:16 PM »
I'll reserve judgement on the course after I go and see it.........from the renderings it looks great.  But, after seeing the Old Sandwich project up close and personal, Boston GC definitely is going to be the 2nd best new opening in the next 12 months.  The whispers are already starting that Sandwich will be as good or better than Friars Head, East Hampton and Hidden Creek.  Looking forward to opening day in a couple of weeks.........

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 10:48:25 PM »
Scott,
  Thanks for posting the renderings. As George noted Gil showed us some slides in February. On #6 the photo is much more intriguing. The rendering of #6 makes it look a little too sterile. Based on what I saw on the slides it is definitely a course high on my list to see when I get a chance.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 11:58:02 PM »
Jason,

Thanks for citing the credit for the drawings, I meant to do that, but was rushing to finish several things at once.

Speaking of Old Sandwich, I heard it may open 9 (or maybe
more) holes this fall.  Anyone in the area got a camera?   ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:59:26 PM by Scott_Burroughs »

RDecker

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 10:28:05 AM »
Looks like Pine Valley and Myopia Hunt Club had a baby...

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 11:32:15 AM »
out of curiosity... where is Boston Golf club located?  How about Old Sandwich.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 12:39:02 PM »
Scott, I've got a camera, a car, and a full tank of gas.  If you can get me through the gate, I can take 1GB of digital photos (273 at 8MP resolution, 3264 x 2448 pixels)!  When and where should I pick you up?

The Boston Golf Club is located in Hingham, MA, south of Boston.  The Old Sandwich course is in Plymouth, about 45 minutes south of Boston.

George Pazin

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 12:48:35 PM »
Another interesting tidbit that Gil shared with us in February was that several times he visited with Bill Coore at OS and discussed things about that course, and then Bill did the same thing with him at BGC. Nice to see two individuals who are potential competitors sharing their passion for the game, with the end result better for the rest of us. Reminds me of the old stories of the Philadelphia School guys "consulting" with each other.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 12:55:17 PM »
Scott, I've got a camera, a car, and a full tank of gas.
"it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

If you can get me through the gate....When and where should I pick you up?

I wish....

Despite growing up in western NY, I've never set foot in MA (nor RI, NH, or ME).

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 01:09:07 PM »
I saw Gil a few days ago and he said I really should get to Boston to see this course and Old Sandwich.

I sure wouldn't rely on those renderings, I'd rather stand out there and look at the holes in person but in that rendering of #6 at least that bunker field high and left up against the trees doesn't look right to me at all. But you know the way it goes sometimes you go out there and it looks very different!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2004, 01:58:42 PM »
George,

You make an excellent point, re: Bill and Gil visiting with each other at their respective projects.
jeffmingay.com

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2004, 02:06:49 PM »
"it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

I don't have SCMODS, but I do have a Valentine One radar/laser detector.  Depending on the congestion in the Big Dig, I can get there from Gloucester in 90 minutes.

I have heard that it's adjacent to, or at least close to, the Pinehills courses.  Maybe we should get a tee time there, then hit some balls in the woods, and maybe get lost on the way back to the fairway...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 02:40:33 PM by Martin Del Vecchio »

TEPaul

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2004, 02:10:30 PM »
Gil and Bill and Ben seem to be good friends, they like each other a lot and they both certainly do seem to have real respect for each others work. Other than that mention of Rod Whitman I once asked Bill Coore who some of the architects he liked were (this was before going to Bandon and Pacific Dunes). He mentioned Gil and Dana Fry; I asked him what he liked about Dana Fry's architecture and he said he'd never seen any of it. So I asked him how he could like Fry so much and he just said he liked Dana Fry himself!   ;)

mark chalfant

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 04:16:54 PM »
Scott,
Thanks for nice pics. I believe the second photo maybe
number 8, which is a long par three over fescue. The
"slanting trees" (on left)  are sort of a landmark on this hole.
Its an excellent course.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2004, 04:55:26 PM »
I'll be at both courses next week and will take some photos (now if I could only learn how to post them).  The other question is will the clubs allow them to be posted??  Don't know.  

Steve_Roths

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2004, 11:34:08 AM »
Does anyone know if either of these courses would allow someone to come out and walk them before they are open?
I don't know how strict they are with these things prior to the members starting to play the course.  

Thanks.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2005, 05:28:57 PM »
From the rendering shown above of #6 at Gil Hanse's Boston GC:

Here's the finished product (posted from The Prairie Club's web site  http://www.prairieclub.com/golfarch.html):

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2005, 05:53:06 PM »
Is 18 at Boston GC a par 3?
jeffmingay.com

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 07:31:50 PM »
Coore & Crenshaw had the job at Boston Golf Club and gave it up because Bill Coore thought that their was going to be some permiting problems.  The owner asked Bill who he would suggest and he said Gil Hanse.   C&C then accepted Old Sandwich and then the permitting problems at Boston Golf Club never happened.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 08:05:12 PM »
wow.  wow.  wow.

Any chance of reciprocity?  (he asked sheepishly)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back