News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

blasbe1

Is a "Man's Size Course" Too Much Of One Thing?
« on: August 19, 2004, 01:42:24 AM »
So I walked 27 holes at W.Foot W. today and had the best quality spectating golf day of my life (let's just say amongst the camera crews it became clear that "Rodge" needs to spend a little more time in the gym and a little less time complaining that "his cart" isn't there!).  So it takes me about to 13 to realize that virtually every green since # 1 is pitched back to front and is pinched front to back . . .  thus, you either fly it to the hole on the green or, you're short sided, or you stab at the green-front narrows all day.  

My question is simple . . . by pitching every green back to front and pinching every green front to back did Tilly emphasize the tee shot too much and render the second shot at W.Foot West academic?  In other words, are there playable angles for second shots stemming from out of position tee shots?  

From what I've seen today if you're out of posion off the tee a good player rarely has the oppurtunity to recover, even with a great shot, and that to me spells poor GCA for emphazing too much one aspect of the game.

Thoughts?  

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Is a "Man's Size Course" Too Much Of One Thing?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 06:02:51 AM »
J,

If you look at Neil's aerials of 1 & 9 on the other thread, you see they have some big greens with many pin positions. Thus it depends on the pins of the day, but your point is valid as that course is tough off the tee. The rough was full, but did not look rediculous to me, so it seems as if the USGA was tempting the longer hitters to go for the green on a mis-hit, but I really did not see too much play yesterday.

One thing that Kelly Moran pointed out to me one day is if you short-side yourself a WFW, you are dead as the contours of the bunkers make it impossible to hold a short side bunker recovery shot. Almost always a 2 putt or more.

I personally like to play The East more, but that probably has a high correlation to my skill level

See you Sunday.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 06:18:49 AM by Mike Sweeney »

blasbe1

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 12:22:18 PM »
Mike:

I thought the green complexes were fantastic (it was my first time on the property) but it really seemed to be a first shot course which I'm probably inclined to be critical of b/c I often hit it crooked.  It was nevertheless a great experience to walk the fairways and otherwise have a intimate view of the play and the course.

See you Sunday.

;D  

Mark Brown

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 03:44:07 PM »
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Winged Foot-West, although all the tree removal improves it. But long par fours with many elevated greens with deep bunkers on both sides isn't fun. I'd much rather play the East Course or Tillie's San Francisco GC (which I love). But maybe the West is a good tournament course, so who cares.

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 05:18:31 PM »
Casper said that one of the key ingredients to his U.S. Open win in 1959 at WFW was to shoot away from the pin side of the green.  If he missed, he would at least have some green to play with.  If he hit the green, he could have a reasonable chance at 2 putting as he was one of the best rock rollers of his time.  Casper also laid up all four rounds at the 215 yard par 3 third hole, and got it up and down all four rounds.

When I play WFW, "Keep it below the hole!" is my first thought, followed by the above.  #10's front right bunker is the best beach volleyball location east of Manhattan Beach.  I feel as if I am launching a mortar from down there.

Love the new tees on #12 and #14!

JWK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back