News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam_F_Collins

Oregon - Questions from a Dreamer
« on: August 18, 2004, 09:30:40 AM »
A good friend of mine, who lives here in Halifax is making a trip down to Portland, Oregon in the next couple of weeks. He's a good golfer - 2 or 3 handicap, and likes a challenge.

(I'm one of those unfortunate souls who, despite having never been anywhere, is often called for information on "what's good" everywhere - and I'm famous in these parts for howling on endlessly about this place called "Bandon, Oregon" and how I want to go there so badly. People think it's funny.)

For now, the best I can do is to somehow be associated with people and their plans who actually get to travel... Anyway, tears and self-pity aside - I turn to those who are truly in the know for the answers:

• What are the best bets for public play in the Portland area?
• How far a drive is it from Portland to Bandon?
• How hard is it for a single to get on at Bandon or Pacific on short  notice?

Note: I'm not fishin' for favors, here guys - just the straight info. It's already bad enough that HE's going and I'M not. ;)

I thank you for any information you can provide.

Mike Erdmann

Re:Oregon - Questions from a Dreamer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 10:16:58 AM »
Portland to Bandon is about a 4.5 hour drive.  Getting on as a single shouldn't be too bad, but definitely worth a call to the resort to see how busy things are.

Best bets for public play in Portland are Pumpkin Ridge and The Reserve, both on the west side of town.  Portland has some really good municipal courses, including Chandler Egan's Eastmoreland, and the 36 holes at Heron Lakes.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 10:17:50 AM »

Portland has a wide variety of choices on the public side.  It really depends on what your looking for.

Eastmoreland is a kick, cheap, some very cool holes but a lot of trees.
      Ghost Creek is overrated IMHO, its good, but it ain't that good.  
      The Reserve is interesting, depending on which course is open to public play.
      Langdon Farms if its still open, was interesting once.

Its about 4 hours from Portland to Bandon depending on how fast you drive.

My experience is that its not too hard to get on as a single on either course.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 10:47:24 AM »
If your friend is a club member, he shouldn't have any problem getting on private clubs in Portland.  Fortunately, Portland clubs are very open to reciprocity.

John_Conley

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 11:45:20 AM »
Portland to Coos Bay/North Bend via Alaska Air (may be called Frontier or something else now) is an easy jaunt.  Shuttle can pick him up at the airport if he really wants to see the Bandon courses.

Billsteele

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 03:15:02 PM »
Adam- Getting on as a single should not be too much of a problem. One of my favorite golf memories is the first time I played Bandon Dunes. They allowed me to go out alone with my caddy. What a wonderful way to experience the course. The staff was very accommodating to me as a single.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 03:19:11 PM »
May be Horizon Air flying from PDX to Coos Bay...

If he is up for some "regional" travel (aside from Bandon Dunes), there is some good golf in the Bend area as well...

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 06:35:48 PM »
we should do a gca outing in oregon one of these days : :)

Ari Techner

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 01:07:50 AM »
we should do a gca outing in oregon one of these days : :)

That is a great idea.  Count me in for sure.  

blasbe1

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2004, 01:56:46 AM »
For now, the best I can do is to somehow be associated with people and their plans who actually get to travel... Anyway, tears and self-pity aside - I turn to those who are truly in the know for the answers:

Dude:

With all do respect, WAKE UP!!! Walk, crawl, scrape or save  the energy that it takes to post 200 plus posts on this board :) and try to get to Bandon . . . it's that good, and, yes, it will change your life. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back