News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re:Most Fun Courses to Play
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 03:33:17 PM »
How quickly we forget....

Do the words Barona Creek mean anything to anyone here?

Precisely what I was thinking for a fun SoCal course, besides Rustic.

In other parts of the country, all 5 of the Strantz courses I've played.

Yale
Twisted Dune
The Pit (Gib, were you sleeping on this one?  :))

Cory Lewis

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2004, 03:46:43 PM »
I agree with Leatherstocking,  I had an absolute ball playing that course, the combination of the mountain holes and the lake holes is wonderful.  Very bold short holes.  I'd also nominate Myopia Hunt as sheer fun to play.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2004, 03:50:04 PM »
I'll nominate any one of the courses at Bethpage (surprise here!) when playing with the right group of NYC or LI firemen and/or cops, having a good time on their day off.  They're usually really loose, trading barbs, playing games, etc, and to me, it doesn't get any better than that.  
They take their game seriously, but not themselves seriously, and it's a hell of a lot of fun to play with them.  Every time I do, I don't want the round to end.  
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2004, 04:05:42 PM »
I should add on the flip side that the least fun course I ever played was a course (forget the name) designed by Ian MacCallister, after he took over the job from RTJ, Jr.

George Pazin

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2004, 04:19:48 PM »
My most fun: The Rawls Course at TT. Wild greens and surrounds, yet tough to lose a ball.

Lehigh was one of the most enjoyable walks I've ever had.

Mystic Rock was probably the least fun good course I've ever played.

Black Mesa gets a big asterisk from me. Fun shots, not really what I'd call a fun course. (Huck's not far off from my feelings - I wouldn't have even brought BM up if he had draaaaaggggggged me in. :))

Black Mesa is a lot of fun to play when Doug Wright is your partner! ;D
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 04:33:05 PM »
No hassles, George.  I am just glad you saw this.  It proves that "fun" can be interpreted in many ways, by different golfers.  Shivas finds Medinah fun because he can hit the ball 500 yards and enjoys the challenge.  I find Black Mesa fun because I hit the ball pretty straight and like to be rewarded for that (so rocks off to the side don't faze me much, and I get an advantage over wilder golfers) and I love wacky greens that allow for weird chips and putts.  Either of those would be no fun for a whole lot of golfers, who don't like these things.

Side note - I wonder if I'd enjoy The Rawls course as much as Black Mesa... If it is wide enough to be "tough to lose a ball" I might not dig it... One thing I really find less fun is mindless bashing off the tee, no matter how great the greens and approaches are.  Now I gather at the Rawls there are good sides and bad sides and all sorts of strategic considerations... but if it is tough to lose a ball, well... just how bad are the bad sides?

This is the same issue we discussed many times before re Rustic Canyon.  Playing that course now several times as I have, I've come to see the benefits and penalties there... There is not a single hole on that golf course where one can - or at least ought to - mindlessly bash driver.  And for that reason - combined with the genius greens and surrounds -  although it is pretty wide, it is fantastically fun.  

Would that be a correct way to characterize the Rawls?

BTW, great call re Lehigh - it is just a wonderful, peaceful, idyllic walk... with some darn tough golf shots to be faced as well.  Great fun.  Love it.

TH
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 04:33:52 PM by Tom Huckaby »

George Pazin

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 04:55:16 PM »
Can't compare it to RC, as I haven't been to LaLa land in 7 years, but it certainly sounds similar. It's tough to lose a ball because the rough is not overly long and lush and there isn't an abundance of water or waste area. There are plenty of places that penalize errant drives, as I found out, they just don't cause you to lose a ball (unless you're Don or Lou and drive the ball 350 yards on 18 :)). It's a course I'd gladly play every day - which fits most courses I've played, except for those that are overly penal, like Mystic Rock and almost every desert course I've played.

I don't mind hard, I just get tired of penalty strokes and pulling new balls out of my bag. I didn't find Lehigh easy to score on, due to it's wonderful set of greens, but I don't recall losing a ball there, either.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »
George:

Gotcha.  Yes, overly penal golf is no fun for anyone, in general.  I just find that if penal golf courses have some mitigating other feature - like the greens at Black Mesa, the over-riding "I'm here to kick your ass" nature of PGA West Stadium or the old Fort Ord Bayonet, or other things - then even these courses can be fun also.

But of course maybe we ought to go back to the first thing I wrote when posting in this topic... I have indeed yet to find a course on which I cannot have fun.

Man I really do want to see The Rawls course.  It does sound a lot like Rustic Canyon.  And that is one hell of a compliment.

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 05:25:33 PM »
shivas:

Neither of those things particularly float my golf boat.  But lots of others do like that kind of challenge.  For me there's a fine line... I sure as hell don't want things too easy, as I've tried to say to George, but I also don't want them too hard, because that gets depressing.  Thus I don't particularly revel over the fun factor at Olympic Lake, for example, because for me it's just too much (and JakaB called me a pussy for having this view, a title I now relish).  I have a feeling Medinah would be the same way.  I guess I like the "chance at success" more than I like any "challenge"... particularly as I get older and shittier at this game (or more realistic about my abilities, which might be another way of saying shitty).  So for me North Berwick is the be all and end all, as is Cruden Bay, many others at which one is required to neither flush it nor work it either way particularly, but at which one still faces a lot of blissfully fun shots, in blissfully cool surroundings.

That being said, there are plenty of very tough courses that I find great fun - like PGA West Stadium and the old Bayonet.  But they just have to have something else going on besides requiring one to flush it and shape it, as each of those do.  This is obviously very tough to explain!

TH

ps - I've also never been a big fan of tree-lined courses, in general.  Add that to my bias and preference here.  But that being said, I lived and died for Bayonet, which is as tree-lined as they come!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 05:27:45 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back