News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jg7236

"Wolf Run Golf Club"
« on: August 14, 2004, 01:30:54 PM »
I am currently in Indianapolis visiting family.  On Thursday I played Wolf Run Golf Club.  The course was in fantastic shape.  The greens were fast and hard, and were in such good shape on some holes I thought I was putting on lush green carpet.  The traps on the course were unedged making one feel as if they were on a links course in Scotland.  This course was set back in the woods on the most beautiful rolling
property I have ever seen in Indianapolis.  If your aren't a member like myself, one would have  a little trouble finding this very private secluded golf club in Zionsville, Indiana.  All the entrance has is a stone wall with a gate and a call box, no signage at all, just a small artistic black wolf on the stone.  I have played golf all over the United States and I am going to say this is one of the hardiest golf courses I have ever stepped foot on in my life.  The course played about about 7100 yards, about ten of the holes had blind second shots, even par 4's.  On some holes my group and I had no idea where to even aim for our second shots.  After hitting some second shots my group and I would go down to the green and realize we lost our ball in a small lake or pond, or even worst in the native grasses that line the entire golf course in and out of the woods.  I talked with some members at the grill after our round and they told us the course used to play even harder years back.  Even though the course plays so hard, and my group including myself didn't play so well, we had a great time.  I am pretty sure if I played that golf course weekly I would be a damn good golfer.  If I could conquer Wolf Run I could conquer any damn course.  I will definetley play this course again when I am back in town next year.

Cheers,

John

Mark Brown

Re:"Wolf Run Golf Club"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 09:08:18 PM »
Wolf Run in Indianapolis opened in the mid or late 80s and was designed by Steve Smyers who understands golf and golf design as well as anybody. It's a great course and is very fair if you play it from the appropriate tees. The property is great, as is the routing and the design features of each hole. Truly a modern classic -- top 20 in Golfweek ratings.

Smyers also designed Old Memorial in Tampa (his hometown), Southern Dunes (Orlando), Chart Hills -- honored as the best inland course in the British Isles by Nick Edmund, a very respected Scottish writer.

Smyers also designed a course at Blue Heron Pines in NJ, Four Streams a great course in Maryland, Lochenheath in Michigan and totally redesigned Isleworth (Orlando) recently. His courses are designed to play firm and fast and his bold and brilliant contouring encourages use of the ground game. His generous, but wise use of sand-faced  bunkers guide knowledgeable golfers around his very strategic risk-reward designs.

As with Tom Doak recently, Smyers just needs a break-out
high-profile project to propel him to a place among the top five modern designers in golf.

If you would like to know more send me a message (markbrown@markbrownandassociates.com) He's a great guy, a good friend and I produced a photo filled brochure for him that illustrates his design philosophy.

pdrake

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 09:23:57 PM »
You are right about this place.......the 5 hole stretch at the beginning of the 2nd nine is as hard as it gets.  I believe it is still men-only, but there were rumors that women would be allowed to play the course so they could get state/USGA events.  If you lived in Indy, this is the place to be a member (over Crooked Stick, Indy CC and Meridian Hills by far).

Bob Barriger

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 09:41:59 PM »
I am a member at Wolf Run and mostly what Mr. Gunning states is true.  Except, only 1 blind second shot is probable, if you are keeping the tee ball in the fairway, at #11.  But if you are playing the tips, you should be able to shape your tee ball to see the green.  If you can't shape the tee ball, you have no reason to play this course from the tips. The course had become somewhat unkept in the past, but last year a new owner came in and with Steve Smyers on board they are taking all the greens back to their original size and recutting all bunkers back to their original shape and size.  The have added new back tees to take into account the advancement of technology since the course opened in 1989.  The new owners is a total golf person having been in the industry all his working life and wants to keep Wolf Run in the forefront of the golfing world.  The course is kept hard and fast and with the small greens, accuracy with your irons is paramount and it is difficult to make pars when you short-side yourside with an errant approach.  The first 7 holes are a warm-up for what is to come, except #5 which requires 2 exacting shots.  But from #8 on, its all the golf course you want, especially holes 8-15. All memberships are single person only and females are welcome to join.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back