News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Pazin

Re:Courses to Avoid Like the Plague-your nominations, please
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 06:03:51 PM »
I'd counsel most high handicappers to avoid desert courses, and I'd for sure tell anyone with any fear of heights to avoid Wolf Creek. In spite of several entertaining holes, it's probably my least favorite golf experience to date.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 06:17:38 PM »
Well this just goes to show how there are no "right" answers here... you put Wolf Creek in this category, Matt Ward raves about it and recommends it to anyone getting anywhere near Vegas.  Joel hates Valley Course at Coyote Creek, I consider it a second home.

It does remain a big beautiful world.

;)

John Keenan

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 07:22:19 PM »
I must first state I am much more of a lurker on GCA that a poster. But even a lurker must at time post so here goes!

Regarding a post that Wolf Creek is a course to be avoided I disagree. It is great course. On a yearly outing with a group of friends we had the opportunity to play it. To a man we loved it. This is a group of varing skills but contains a core of gentleman who play golf all over the country and they all raved about the course. One of the keys is to play the correct tees.

On the bridges in San Ramon I agree it is not a great course unfair (to use a phrase) but would I play it again sure.

I must agree with another poster Tom Huckaby I enjoy the game and would play in a parking lot. Yes some courses I enjoy more than others but overall I enjoy being out and hitting the ball. Every course has some positives I look to enjoy them.
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

rjsimper

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2004, 07:59:53 PM »
Every course has some positives except McGregor Golf Links in Saratoga Springs, NY.....

Well, I'll list the positives here...

Okay I lied, I cant think of any....

Mike_Golden

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 10:24:45 PM »
John VB,

Thanks for reminding me of just how bad Badlands is ;D  

The only thing I remember (except how much I hated it) was a par 3 over a canyon-about 160 yards-there was a big hump in front of a shallow green that sloped front to back-I hit a 6 iron that landed about 3' from the hole and the ball ran completely over the back of the green-there was virtually no place to land the ball on the green that would hold it.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2004, 10:58:36 PM »
If you're in the NC Triangle area, I'd siggest you avoid the Horrible Triumvirate of:

Lochmere (almost always under water)

Crooked Creek (18 holes fit into the space needed for 13....including a double lay-up Par5)

Bentwinds (played 1 free round...wanted to give the ProShop back some money to somehow erase my memory of the course)

THuckaby2

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 11:08:56 PM »
I must first state I am much more of a lurker on GCA that a poster. But even a lurker must at time post so here goes!

Regarding a post that Wolf Creek is a course to be avoided I disagree. It is great course. On a yearly outing with a group of friends we had the opportunity to play it. To a man we loved it. This is a group of varing skills but contains a core of gentleman who play golf all over the country and they all raved about the course. One of the keys is to play the correct tees.

On the bridges in San Ramon I agree it is not a great course unfair (to use a phrase) but would I play it again sure.

I must agree with another poster Tom Huckaby I enjoy the game and would play in a parking lot. Yes some courses I enjoy more than others but overall I enjoy being out and hitting the ball. Every course has some positives I look to enjoy them.

John - obviously I like your attitude.  Welcome, brother!  Don't expect much support here beyond me, though... this is a forum where nitpicking of courses goes over far better than love for the game.

That being said, I found a course I hate... The Ranch in San Jose... but it proves how much the game trumps any course for me - I did go over and play that again recently. And I've actually played The Bridges in San Ramon three times. God have mercy on my soul.

TH

ForkaB

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2004, 06:04:00 AM »
E. Gaynor Brennan Hubbard Heights in Stamford,CT is the top miss on my list.  Blind Par 3's/6 Hour Rounds/Gas Carts with exhaust/tighter than a guy who knows the serial $ on his dollar bills.

James

I must take exception.  Hubbard Heights is so bad that it's good.  The only course I know with more razor wire and protective fencing than Camp X-Ray.  The only course in the world where there will be 4 groups in the same fairway, each playing a different hole.  The course where one of the best and most revered modern architects cut his teeth.

Shame on you!

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2004, 09:23:11 AM »
Richard -

Who gave us the resplendant majesty of "The Heights?"

I do have a soft spot for the course as my father aced the blind uphill 140 yard par 3 9th.  The Brennan family also plays prominently into my home course, Woodway.  The italian restaurant there used to be outstanding, however, the lease ran out, so new owners are running the place.

Still feeling no shame...

JWK

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2004, 09:53:46 AM »
Aberdeen in Boynton Beach, Florida is a Desmond Muirhead design, which even after a redesign of a number of the holes, still has to be one of the worst courses in the world.  An island fairway par 5, where even if you hit it your next shot is at a 90 degree angle toward the fairway on the other side of the water; a par 4 which they call the Dolly Parton hole and you can guess why, the par 4 11th where you have no idea where to hit it and the green has a bunker which totally encircles it.  I could go on but why bother.  Problem is, my father in law lives on the 4th hole and I have to play it with him.  

ForkaB

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2004, 10:07:48 AM »
James

Quelle Coincidence!  The first ace I ever "saw" was at the 9th at HH.  It was the father of an old friend, but not your father, as I had lunch with my old friend two weeks ago and you were not he.  He said that his father (an ancient mariner rather than a golfer) still talks about that day.

PS--As I grew up in Darien (many years ago) I'm sure I know at least a few of the old geezers at Woodway..... :)

PPS--finally understanding one of your references/questions, the superstar archie did not do HH, he just played there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 10:10:01 AM by Richard Goodale »

Kenny Lee Puckett

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2004, 10:12:02 AM »
Who was the superstar who played "The Heights?"

JWK

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2004, 10:30:28 AM »
You guys need to read what I wrote more closely - I said people who have a fear of heights should avoid Wolf Creek. It made me really really uncomfortable and one of my friends actually left the course after playing 4 holes. Playing the right tees would only work if there were a decent set lengthwise that weren't perched on cliffs.

Regardless, I'd be hard pressed to call it a "great" course. An engineering marvel, maybe. Something to see once, maybe. Some great holes, probably. It's the closest thing I've seen to that silly bogus calendar of the world's toughest golf holes.

A "great" course? Not to this poster.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

THuckaby2

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2004, 10:33:48 AM »
George - the same thing could be said about Old Head in Ireland.  Man I got vertigo standing on the 12th tee... I had to move way to the right side of it because I seriously had this feeling I was gonna slip and plummet to my death.  Sounds like I'd have to be very careful at Wolf Creek.

But should either course be avoided like the plague, even for those with fear of heights?  Nah.  Just suck it up and get a little braver, because at each there would seem to be some spectacular golf holes to be seen and experienced.

TH

mikes1160

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2004, 11:00:16 AM »
Adding to Mr. Gracely's post on Triangle must-avoids, put Hedingham G.C. on your list - If you're off the fairway, you've hit a house.......I'd stay away from Wildwood Green as well, also in North Raleigh.

George Pazin

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2004, 11:04:32 AM »
Even my woefully lacking experience in our wonderful game would be no worse if I hadn't taken the trip to Henderson. The tradeoff at Old Head might be worth it - to me, the tradeoff at Wolf Creek isn't even close to being worth it.

There's lots of things that others enjoy that I have no desire to try. One of my clients runs a bungee jumping business and offers me a free jump every time I print his shirts. I don't think I'll ever take him up on it. I'm not even that afraid, I just don't see the appeal or the upside.

THuckaby2

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2004, 11:12:28 AM »
George:  that's cool.  Like so many other issues here, it comes down to personal preferences.  Last week in Mexico I was offered free parasailing time, and I turned it down, because I didn't see the fun in it!   Others rave about how great it is - to each his own.

The same can be said about these golf courses.  You might be willing to try Old Head because the views provided are of the ocean, whereas the desert at Wolf Creek provides no thrill, so at the latter the risk of vertigo isn't worth it, whereas at the former it is.  Others love the desert, and would seek out Wolf Creek for this, while not getting any kick about cliffs above the ocean.

There remain no right or wrong answers.

I just tend to think the only things that would make me avoid a golf course like the plague are:

a) too expensive and/or not worth the money;
b) dangerous sites, putting life at risk;
c) horrid playing conditions, making it impossible to have fun.

That's it. If a course has none of those things, I'll play it.  As you can imagine, my "playable" list is huge.

TH

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2004, 11:38:23 AM »
Adding to Mr. Gracely's post on Triangle must-avoids, put Hedingham G.C. on your list - If you're off the fairway, you've hit a house.......I'd stay away from Wildwood Green as well, also in North Raleigh.

I like Wildwood Green, though I haven't played it since it was renovated.  A fun, sporty course.  As much as I hate housing too close to the holes, houses don't necessarily mean the holes themselves are bad, just claustrophobic.

Again, to each, his own.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2004, 12:00:09 PM »
I haven't played Wildwood Greens in a number of years, either, Scott, but I'd agree with your assessment.  Certainly, I'd rather spend the day there than not play golf!

The Herald-Sun Tournament, one of the older, bigger, and better amateur tournaments in the area, was played at Wildwood for a couple of years back in the 80's.  As I remember it, the course was reasonably well-received.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

ForkaB

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2004, 12:54:26 PM »
Who was the superstar who played "The Heights?"

JWK

Why, the only one who grew up in Stamford, of course!

Mike_Golden

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2004, 05:06:56 PM »
Huckster,

If your list includes Tularcitos I'll be pretty amazed-I'd rather play miniature golf than ever go out there again (played it once about 20 years ago) ???

THuckaby2

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2004, 07:07:54 PM »
Mike:

Sadly, I am forced to play Summitpointe (formerly known as Tularcitos) fairly often... in tournaments and other outings.  It comes very close to my "avoid like the plague list".  But it is relatively cheap, there is at least one good hole there (though I can't recommend any right now off the top of my head), and well... I did have some tourney success there at times... so god help me it has sentimental value.

TH

Michael Plunkett

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2004, 02:54:36 AM »
Okay, maybe not like the plague, but Shore Gate, seaview, nj. But I will give it another shot, maybe.

I hated the Pines course at the Seaview Marriot.  I do like the bay course.

frank_D

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2004, 11:01:25 AM »
I played such a bad golf course today in virtually every way it gave me the inspiration to start this thread.

brother Mike_Golden

the downside RISK of playing a course for the first time yourself - even if recommended by another - is an UNDESIREABLE OUTCOME

however the upside RISK is the enjoyment we get - which is why we continually try new golf courses

the only insulation is to only play the same familiar courses we have played before and had a desireable outcome on despite others recommendations of other courses

if everyone here had the time to describe their worst experience on a new course this would become the LONGEST thread in the history of this site - however i would also predict the six complaints you listed would account for most of the same reasons others would "avoid" the course they nominate
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 11:03:14 AM by frank_D »

Guy Corcoran, Jr

« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2004, 11:12:33 AM »
Rock Hill Golf Club in Manorville, Long Island. The WORST!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back